Adelaide Coach Rumored To Nycfc Coaching Staff Position

What academy project is he starting in NYC that's not tied to a club? The jig doesn't make sense

but its a bit weird isint it? wouldnt he make a private academy in Spain rather than here?

This is so confusing. It wasn't a random blogger who reported Gambau to NYCFC. It was Adelaide United, quoting him!

In case it gets taken down, it says: "Gombau: I will be the director at my own academy in New York and it's important for me to be closer to my home #ThanksJosep #TrustInAmor"

I'm going to trust this tweet over the Empire of Soccer report and their "source" for now. Waiting for official word.

Is Gombau's family from NY or is this a case of NY being closer to Europe than Australia so it's close enough?

This is so confusing. It wasn't a random blogger who reported Gambau to NYCFC. It was Adelaide United, quoting him!

In case it gets taken down, it says: "Gombau: I will be the director at my own academy in New York and it's important for me to be closer to my home #ThanksJosep #TrustInAmor"

I'm going to trust this tweet over the Empire of Soccer report and their "source" for now. Waiting for official word.
So he could end up still working with NYC

Reactions: Dave Martinez
Perhaps they don't want to embarrass the A-league?

I don't know. I mean leaving a manager job just to be head of our youth program....that doesn't speak well for the A-league.

Reactions: BlueWarrior
but its a bit weird isint it? wouldnt he make a private academy in Spain rather than here?

Not really. The concept of "private academies" is virtually unknown in Europe. There are a couple, like the Glenn Hoddle Academy, but having academies that aren't the children's wing of a proper club is just not how it works here. We don't even have affiliation, it's pretty much full-on part-of-an-existing-team or nothing.