Chinese Super League Secures 1.25 Billion Dollar Tv Deal For Next 5 Years

NYCFCFan10

Registered
Mar 23, 2014
Ti'ao Power has beaten rival bidders to take the production and broadcast rights to China's top domestic league, the Chinese Super League (CSL), between 2016 to 2020 for RMB¥8 billion (US$1.25 billion).

The deal is the biggest ever in Chinese soccer, even outstripping the US$1 billion paid by Super Sports for the English Premier League rights in 2012. Ti’ao will pay RMB¥1 billion for each of the first two years of its four year deal, doubling that amount for the final three.

Although domestic soccer is very popular in China, the deal is something of a gamble for Ti’ao, who will be banking on the CSL’s status increasing significantly over the next five years.

Among the other bidders for the rights package was CCTV, which has been a long-serving broadcaster of the CSL via its CCTV5 sports channel, and would have expected to renew its agreement. CCTV has already seen much of its dominance in the sports broadcast market threatened this year by the emergence of internet-based over-the-top services like Tencent Sports, Sina Sports, and LeTV.

i wonder what is stopping this league to start making noise at least in Asia, they already won a champions league recently and i think are in the running currently. But in terms of national teams its all so so from what i have seen. I mean they are just throwing money here it seems and would be a waste if nothing comes from it.

I wonder how this compares with the Premier League TV deal in China, last month LeTV got the Premier League rights for $400m for three seasons, I believe that covers just the Hong Kong area though.

I wonder how this compares with the Premier League TV deal in China, last month LeTV got the Premier League rights for $400m for three seasons, I believe that covers just the Hong Kong area though.
They said it was higher than the Premier League deal

BUT

The PL deal was from 2012 and is probably set to be renewed any year now and will probably be higher than this, if I had to guess.

They said it was higher than the Premier League deal

BUT

The PL deal was from 2012 and is probably set to be renewed any year now and will probably be higher than this, if I had to guess.

The Premier League signed a six year deal in 2013 for $160m with Super Sports Media in China, from what I've read I think a lot of the games are shown on free to air TV which explains why they only got $160m. The PL fucked up for the 2007-2010 rights, they were purchased by a TV company with only 20,000 subscribers in the whole of China, I think the PL are trying to build up a large audience and then in 2019 they'll sell to the pay TV channels.