Do You Use Premium Fuel?

roxfontaine

Level Up
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 7, 2015
I'm Around
So Shell launched a new premium fuel on June 1st called V-Power NiTRO+. It got me thinking about who actually uses premium. Do you use premium in your car? Have you ever used it? Did you actually compare performance and/or fuel economy before and after?

I have a car that recommends premium. I have never used it, so I was putting regular in. I noticed that it was running rough, so I started putting the fuel treatments in like techron and the one in the white bottle. That made it run much better. Talked to the mechanic and he told me to use premium. I've switched over, and my car purrs like a kitten. He told me different engines are tuned to a specific octane level. Put in what your car recommends. Also, its good policy to buy from the major brands rather than the cheapest stations. The major brands put in additives to make the engine run cleaner. That advice comes from a long time gas station owner.

I have a Subaru Forester and told by dealer to NOT use premium, Regular only

I have a car that recommends premium. I have never used it, so I was putting regular in. I noticed that it was running rough, so I started putting the fuel treatments in like techron and the one in the white bottle. That made it run much better. Talked to the mechanic and he told me to use premium. I've switched over, and my car purrs like a kitten. He told me different engines are tuned to a specific octane level. Put in what your car recommends. Also, its good policy to buy from the major brands rather than the cheapest stations. The major brands put in additives to make the engine run cleaner. That advice comes from a long time gas station owner.

Yeah, if the car recommends it the owner should definitely use it. I'm not sure what my car actually recommends but I will check today.

Yeah it's not about giving the car "better" gas it's just about what the engine is supposed to take. Certain engines (usually European) are built for premium gas. Other engines (usually US and Asian) are built to use regular. It's less about quality and more about content of the gas.

Yeah it's not about giving the car "better" gas it's just about what the engine is supposed to take. Certain engines (usually European) are built for premium gas. Other engines (usually US and Asian) are built to use regular. It's less about quality and more about content of the gas.
Exactly this. If a car isn't supposed to run on premium then it will run worse than if it's just on regular. My dads truck takes premium and runs crappy with regular. My car takes regular and runs crappy with premium.

Although cars that require premium run worse on regular than cars that require regular run on premium.

I've never even considers using Premium Gasoline. To be honest, the only reason I've never used it is the cost difference between it and regular gas.

Reactions: einwindir
Update:

I've used premium in my car the last 3 or 4 fillups. Holy mackerel what a difference! The car drives very differently on premium fuel. I also get slightly better mileage. My sensor used to show about a 300 mile range on regular. It showed 347 after my last fill up. Pretty crazy.

With cars that recommend Premium gas, you generally make up the price difference in improved mileage. So might as well go with the good stuff.

Reactions: roxfontaine
Most new American cars take regular and should be run on it.
I have a few old cars that i use premium on. 1974 Land Rover recommends it in the owners manual.
My mechanic told me to use premium in a 1969 mustang because the higher octane makes up for the lead that used to be in the gas.

Most new American cars take regular and should be run on it.
I have a few old cars that i use premium on. 1974 Land Rover recommends it in the owners manual.
My mechanic told me to use premium in a 1969 mustang because the higher octane makes up for the lead that used to be in the gas.
OK, if we carpool to a game, you're driving