Orlando City, Mls, And The Millennial Fan

As long as MLS caters to the 16-28 demo, there will always be money.

Plus with that demo, you have the rowdiness, the beer sales, thr product sales, and the loyality. You cant really get the same results with the family demographic

Last edited:
This is a nice article, and entirely correct. Baseball and football may scoff at soccer's numbers, but they would kill for soccer's demographics.

Think ahead 10-20 years, when those milleneals are in their 30s and 40s. They will still be coming to games, except they'll be bringing their kids and a whole new generation will be going to the games and filling the dedicated supporters sections. Attendance could double in a short time. Ratings could go through the roof.

I love those facts, and I say this as someone who is turning 50 this year and sits on the border between the baby boomers and Gen X. I love the energy that younger fans create in the stands. I also appreciate that the atmosphere isn't totally geared to the 20-somethings, so I can safely bring my 7-year-old and build an appreciation in him that will have him in the Supporter's Section in 10-15 years.

Garber and his cadre have been harping about the Millienials since Seattle joined. While I agree with the premise of the article, their just rehashing old info.

Plus they are Orlando bloggers.

Wow, kids these days must be rolling in dough. They must be handing out six figure salaries when you graduate college these days.

I spent college studying and eating ramen noodles on a part-time mall job budget . . . and then struggling to find entry-level work to pay off my monthly nut for my student loan. :D

It's not about that demo having money, it's about that demo being impressionable. If sports clubs get them while they're young, it creates a nostalgia that will get them coming back for more. For advertisers, it allows them an opportunity to create favorable impressions with them from the start. Then when they get money, they'll be inclined to use their product.

So say you're an Orlando fan. You don't care much about Orlando Health, the sponsor for Orlando SC. You might not care now as a millennial, but when suddenly your wife/girlfriend shows you a stick with a plus sign on it, guess what the first place that will pop into your mind to go will be? Orlando Health? Now you're in their door forming a habit with them, and of the money you earned cooking meth (this is an Orlando fan in this hypothetical after all) devoted to healthcare will be going to Orlando Health.

Reactions: BxLio91
This article reminds me back In 2010,during the world cup,When I was in Las Vegas.

I remember catching a cab and talking to the driver who was about 50. He was a your average American.

We started talking about the World Cup and he said to me that it was a bit late for him to start following soccer, but that all the young kids and teenagers were starting to follow it in big numbers and that it would bode well for the future of the sport in the USA.

5 years on from that the sport continues to grow and it will be interesting to see what it looks like in 20 years time

Plus with that demo, you have the rowdiness, the beer sales, thr product sales, and the loyality. You cant really get the same results with the family demographic

a 12 year democraphic span, half of which is unemployed and can't legally drink. Spot on, my son.

Baseball revenues are insane and it's because their demographics are an average 57 year old with medium to high income. Those men grew up as baseball fans and now baseball is cashing in. Soccer will do the same with this demographic and will continue it's growth.

Baseball revenues are insane and it's because their demographics are an average 57 year old with medium to high income. Those men grew up as baseball fans and now baseball is cashing in. Soccer will do the same with this demographic and will continue it's growth.
The atmosphere at baseball games is nothing to soccer games. What 57 y/o will do anything but sit in a chair and drink. Its different sports. I dont think you can really compare thevtwo fairly

The atmosphere at baseball games is nothing to soccer games. What 57 y/o will do anything but sit in a chair and drink. Its different sports. I dont think you can really compare thevtwo fairly

I'm bringing you and your fake ID to Yankee Tavern one of these days. You've got a false opinion formed of my demographic

Reactions: CP_Scouse
You absolutely can compare the two. I am not talking about atmosphere I am talking the average demographic of the people who watch. The MLS has a great demographic of young working males. Baseballs demographic is old men. I am talking about the people who will watch and spend money on it not what the experience is about. This is where MLS has a huge potential for growth.

Reactions: CP_Scouse