Orlando Postmatch

This is real. Yours for only $23.99. Can we make one that says "We hate stoppage time"?

image.png

The problem was that the sub was a PR move - having all three DPs on the field at the same time - the first time it's happened since last season. Thats the only reason to bring Lampard on for anybody besides Pirlo.

This the cynic in us

Maybe you're right about the motives. I hope not.

I can see at least 2 alternatives.
  1. PV believes that good offense is the best defense. He believed that Mendoza's fresh legs combined with our 3 DPs would make it difficult for ORL to do anything but scramble. And he was right for almost as long as he needed to be right.
  2. PV felt confident about the result and wanted to see his 3 DPs play together at YS to assess how they do/can work together on that pitch. We had bossed the game for the most part and maybe he was over-confident. But using one game to understand player combos for future games is not unusual.

This is the optimist in us

Reactions: FootyLovin
This the cynic in us

This is the optimist in us
I'm typically overly optimistic, but so far FC hasn't given me any reason to be anything but skeptical of their every move and begs for the dormant cynic in me to assume the vanguard.

We don't get any meaningful response from the front office. Lampard gets the jeers because he's the best outlet. I think it's pretty restrained frankly. And again, CFG could clear it all up with a little communication. "I'm sorry" can go a long way. Or even acknowledging the mistake. I'd take that.

Whatever. My life isn't going to meaningfully change no matter what they do or if I buy those extra tickets. Nor is their budget. But if there's a dramatic season ticket holder count drop next year, it might just be a motivating factor. I'm not encouraging it or making it my dharma or anything. But it's my choice, and I would just rather blow that money on something else rather than supporting a direction I don't approve of.
That's fair. We can't directly control what CFG does, though. We can only make investments of our time and energy based on projected outcomes. Call me a hippie / zealot, but the way I see it, booing / fleeing isn't likely to lead to any positive long-term outcome. Sticking with the club through thick and thin and showing that we're a fanbase that deserves to be treated well is. And if it doesn't, it seems that (to be candid) I take some kind of twisted pride in having invested my energy and time positively. "'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all". That's dramatic but fairly close to the definition of fandom that I grew up with, but I accept that it's not everyone's.

That's fair. We can't directly control what CFG does, though. We can only make investments of our time and energy based on projected outcomes. Call me a hippie / zealot, but the way I see it, booing / fleeing isn't likely to lead to any positive long-term outcome. Sticking with the club through thick and thin and showing that we're a fanbase that deserves to be treated well is. And if it doesn't, it seems that (to be candid) I take some kind of twisted pride in having invested my energy and time positively. "'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all". That's dramatic but fairly close to the definition of fandom that I grew up with, but I accept that it's not everyone's.
Okay. I'll call you a hippie zealot. Dan, how many danbucks to give him that tag? $50 American to the board fund!

Reactions: Christopher Jee
The rest of the answer is, (deleted). I just like to make my own decisions for myself.

Bottom line is CFG are assholes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gavin23
"Since the beginning of its inaugural season last year, NYCFC has blown a result – described as a potential win that turns into a draw or a tie into a loss -- in the 75th minute or later 10 times. It’s happened three times already this season, and all at home. That’s a staggering statistic considering City has only played a total of 49 competitive matches since it entered the league."

http://touch.metro.us//new-york/mls-nycfc-might-now-be-in-a-legit-slump/zsJpeE---JGnPrhyWQd1Q/

I'm with you. I also just don't get the sustained anger. What are the big sins?
  1. Lampard to MCFC.
  2. Shitty communication about just about everything.
  3. Not winning enough.
What am I missing? And my responses to the above:
  1. Get over it. If they do it again, be pissed. But it's time to let go.
  2. If booing the players is your response to shitty communication, then you are a pretty shitty communicator yourself.
  3. If booing is your response to losing then you aren't helping your own cause.

:(
"Since the beginning of its inaugural season last year, NYCFC has blown a result – described as a potential win that turns into a draw or a tie into a loss -- in the 75th minute or later 10 times. It’s happened three times already this season, and all at home. That’s a staggering statistic considering City has only played a total of 49 competitive matches since it entered the league."

http://touch.metro.us//new-york/mls-nycfc-might-now-be-in-a-legit-slump/zsJpeE---JGnPrhyWQd1Q/
Something just felt wrong about clicking "like" on your post.....:(

I'm with you. I also just don't get the sustained anger. What are the big sins?
  1. Lampard to MCFC.
  2. Shitty communication about just about everything.
  3. Not winning enough.
What am I missing? And my responses to the above:
  1. Get over it. If they do it again, be pissed. But it's time to let go.
  2. If booing the players is your response to shitty communication, then you are a pretty shitty communicator yourself.
  3. If booing is your response to losing then you aren't helping your own cause.
Tbf, I often point out specific reasons why specific players suck, too. But it's really much easier to just boo. I like being lazy while I watch the game. The sun and security is brutal in the eye.

I actually thought the half of everyone that was complaining about how awful security was last year was crazy. Now I see what they mean. And I think I get it.

If you're on the level of the bleachers in the same segment of the park, you get the security that's typically dealing with them - so likely the hard asses. In 215, we had a fine old wild ass time. Not so in the eye.

So sit in the eye, and you get all of the premium hassles and none of the perks (except one that I'm not posting for fear of it ceasing). And it's usually empty.

Reactions: Paul
How many times is this team going to throw points away at home. Had the rub of the green in this game with the penalty shouts for and against, and still couldn't take advantage of it.

I have to put the blame on PV for this one. Finishing with both Pirlo and Lampard on the field was just stupid. Neither are great at defending and it allowed Orlando much needed space in the middle of the pitch to pressure our defence. We all know what happens when they can do that.

The goal was a complete shambles. We should have blocked the quick throw by Orlando and letting the ref know it was 25 yards away from where the ball went out. Then we should have blocked the cross from the wing.

If that wasn't enough we allowed players to run free in the area for one of them to be able to head the ball back for a free header on goal. Absolutely school boy defending!!

I felt sorry for Villa, because that could happen to anybody. I seemed he was going to put it to the keepers left, but changed his mind when he saw the keeper going that way. I think by changing direction, it caused him to slip and put the ball over.

Reactions: Paul
I don't think Shelton lacks hustle nearly as much as he lacks understanding of when and where to run.

Glad a kept reading as I was going to say the same. I think what people are interpreting as a lack of hustle is a hesitation due to a lack of confidence and/or understanding. I also wonder if he's slowing down a bit in order to try to maintain better control. He goes a light speed and people complain about his touch. He slows down and he's not hustling. He's still young, not ready to give up hope on him anytime soon, I still think he has a chance to be a key piece for us if he continues to develop.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Glad a kept reading as I was going to say the same. I think what people are interpreting as a lack of hustle is a hesitation due to a lack of confidence and/or understanding. I also wonder if he's slowing down a bit in order to try to maintain better control. He goes a light speed and people complain about his touch. He slows down and he's not hustling. He's still young, not ready to give up hope on him anytime soon, I still think he has a chance to be a key piece for us if he continues to develop.
I have a feeling that for those exact reasons Vieira is making him slow down a little. He wasn't charging full steam ahead all the time in the Orlando game and he seemed to play a lot better because of it. Wouldn't quite bet the farm on it as who knows if it's really true but that was the impression I had from watching the match.

The highlight of the game for me was when a NJRB fan showed up in full training uniform with a red fuzzy hat with horns on it. about 2 mins into the game the guy starts cheering for Orlando. Some guy who had a few in him already was sitting down with his son while his wife and daughter were getting more refreshments. He was holding his daughters frozen umbrella while she went up with wife. He turns around to see if there was an Orlando fan and see's this red cow behind him and Just lost. He gets up and starts screaming at this guy every time he opened his mouth (2 times). The entire he's screaming at the guy he's got this Frozen umbrella open and the NJRB fan is sinking lower and lower in his seat. The guys girlfriend starting tearing up up and started hitting him while reminding him how shitty of an idea it was to come there. It was wrong, but funny.

Reactions: Jock and FootyLovin
The highlight of the game for me was when a NJRB fan showed up in full training uniform with a red fuzzy hat with horns on it. about 2 mins into the game the guy starts cheering for Orlando. Some guy who had a few in him already was sitting down with his son while his wife and daughter were getting more refreshments. He was holding his daughters frozen umbrella while she went up with wife. He turns around to see if there was an Orlando fan and see's this red cow behind him and Just lost. He gets up and starts screaming at this guy every time he opened his mouth (2 times). The entire he's screaming at the guy he's got this Frozen umbrella open and the NJRB fan is sinking lower and lower in his seat. The guys girlfriend starting tearing up up and started hitting him while reminding him how shitty of an idea it was to come there. It was wrong, but funny.

That guy was right in front of me and while it was kind of funny now that its over and no one got hurt, the guy with the umbrella was way the hell out of line to the point where I was a little surprised security didn't get involved. Umbrella guy was literally drooling with rage. Took care to shade his 3 year old daughter with the umbrella the whole time though, so props for that I guess.

Reactions: Tony L and Paul