Playoff scheduling

Here's the schedule. Biggest surprise is that, if we make the conference finals, we play two midweek games which is probably unfortunate for home attendance and definitely for road travel. That said, if we make the conference finals, life is good!

Audi 2016 MLS Cup Playoffs Schedule

*Subject to change

Knockout Round
October 26-27: Eastern and Western Conference Knockout Round games

Two games Wednesday Night (times TBD)
  • ESPN2 & UniMás
  • UniMás
Two games Thursday Night (times TBD)
  • FS1 & UniMás
  • UniMás
Conference Semifinals
(Two-game series, aggregate-goal format between conference top seed vs. lowest advancing seed from Knockout Round and conference second seed vs. highest seed from Knockout Round)

Sunday, Oct. 30: Eastern and Western Conference Leg 1

• 3 pm ET (ESPN)
  • 5 pm ET (ESPN)
  • 7 pm ET (FS1)
  • 9:30 pm ET (FS1)
Sunday, Nov. 6: Eastern and Western Conference Leg 2

• 3 pm ET (ESPN)
  • 5 pm ET (ESPN)
  • 7:30 pm ET (FS1)
  • 10 pm ET (FS1)
Conference Championships
Sunday, Nov. 20: Western Conference Championship Leg 1 (FS1, 8 pm ET)

Tuesday, Nov. 22: Eastern Conference Championship Leg 1 (ESPN, 8 pm ET)

Sunday, Nov. 27: Western Conference Championship Leg 2 (ESPN, 4 pm ET)

Wednesday, Nov. 30: Eastern Conference Championship Leg 2 (FS1, 7 pm ET)

2016 MLS Cup
Saturday, Dec. 10: 2016 MLS Cup (FOX, UniMás, TSN, RDS, 8 p.m. ET)

Here's the schedule. Biggest surprise is that, if we make the conference finals, we play two midweek games which is probably unfortunate for home attendance and definitely for road travel. That said, if we make the conference finals, life is good!

Audi 2016 MLS Cup Playoffs Schedule

*Subject to change

Knockout Round

Two games Wednesday Night (times TBD)
  • ESPN2 & UniMás
  • UniMás
Two games Thursday Night (times TBD)
  • FS1 & UniMás
  • UniMás
Conference Semifinals
(Two-game series, aggregate-goal format between conference top seed vs. lowest advancing seed from Knockout Round and conference second seed vs. highest seed from Knockout Round)

Sunday, Oct. 30: Eastern and Western Conference Leg 1

• 3 pm ET (ESPN)
  • 5 pm ET (ESPN)
  • 7 pm ET (FS1)
  • 9:30 pm ET (FS1)

• 3 pm ET (ESPN)
  • 5 pm ET (ESPN)
  • 7:30 pm ET (FS1)
  • 10 pm ET (FS1)
Conference Championships
Sunday, Nov. 20: Western Conference Championship Leg 1 (FS1, 8 pm ET)

Tuesday, Nov. 22: Eastern Conference Championship Leg 1 (ESPN, 8 pm ET)

Sunday, Nov. 27: Western Conference Championship Leg 2 (ESPN, 4 pm ET)

Wednesday, Nov. 30: Eastern Conference Championship Leg 2 (FS1, 7 pm ET)

2016 MLS Cup
Saturday, Dec. 10: 2016 MLS Cup (FOX, UniMás, TSN, RDS, 8 p.m. ET)
Does anyone else hate that the Eastern Conference games are on a Wednesday? Will make it that much more annoying to fly out to during on MLS cup winning run. :wink:

Does anyone else hate that the Eastern Conference games are on a Wednesday? Will make it that much more annoying to fly out to during on MLS cup winning run. :wink:

WTF MLS?!?!? Last year the Eastern Conference finals was played on the weekend along with the West. Why is this year different? Are they using a different calendar?

Terrible home attendance. Terrible ratings.

#MakeTheEasternConferenceFinalsGreatAgain

I agree. I totally hate the midweek conference championship games. Means it will be very hard justifying taking my kid, which is a big part of the experience for me. Might be able to justify the first leg, on 11/22, if it comes to that because that is the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and school the next day is short.

Still... Booooooooooooo!

Also worried about the quarterfinals. Successive Sundays, with two early games and two late games. Makes all the sense in the world for the early games to be the east teams, but we all know that's not how it will work out.

The bigger news though, is that MLS Cup is on FOX. FOX! Big Brother, Mothership, Channel 5 on Time Warner Cable Norther Manhattan FOX.

Reactions: Kjbert
Whew. I was just scheduled to attend a conference in Miami Nov 2-5 and was panicking (and thinking of a good excuse).

Posted on MLSSoccer.com why the Eastern Conference Championship legs are held during the week. Someone provided an excellent answer. The Canadian Football League team that plays in BMO Field (Toronto) has games on those weekends. So if Toronto FC makes it to that stage, there would be a scheduling conflict.

Toronto only made it to one MLS Cup Playoffs in their history and lost that single match last year to Montreal. We'll see how they fair this time around.

EDIT: Toronto Argonauts last home game is October 15. Unless they qualify for the playoffs, then the weekday legs are bullshit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and adam
So it's possible that two games in the KO round will be exclusively on UniMas?!?

Posted on MLSSoccer.com why the Eastern Conference Championship legs are held during the week. Someone provided an excellent answer. The Canadian Football League team that plays in BMO Field (Toronto) has games on those weekends. So if Toronto FC makes it to that stage, there would be a scheduling conflict.

Toronto only made it to one MLS Cup Playoffs in their history and lost that single match last year to Montreal. We'll see how they fair this time around.

I wonder if the Yankees can make a run and screw us over. Remember even if the days don't line up, we need 3 days to turn the field over.

ALCS

Game 1: Friday, 10/16
Game 2: Saturday, 10/17
Game 3: Monday, 10/19
Game 4: Tuesday, 10/20
Game 5: Wednesday, 10/21
Game 6: Friday, 10/23 (We have a home match vs CLB)
Game 7: Saturday, 10/24

World Series
Game 1: Tuesday, 10/27
Game 2: Wednesday, 10/28
Game 3: Friday, 10/30 Sunday, Oct. 30: Eastern and Western Conference Leg 1
Game 4: Saturday, 10/31
Game 5: Sunday, 11/1
Game 6: Tuesday, 11/3
Game 7: Wednesday, 11/4

MLB.Com has a different schedule

ALCS, Game 1 Friday, October 14 TBS TBA
ALCS, Game 2 Saturday, October 15 TBS TBA
ALCS, Game 3 Monday, October 17 TBS TBA
ALCS, Game 4 Tuesday, October 18 TBS TBA
ALCS, Game 5* Wednesday, October 19 TBS TBA
ALCS, Game 6* Friday, October 21 TBS TBA
ALCS, Game 7* Saturday, October 22 TBS TBA

Game 1: NL Champion at AL Champion Tuesday, October 25 FOX TBA
Game 2: NL Champion at AL Champion Wednesday, October 26 FOX TBA
Game 3: AL Champion at NL Champion Friday, October 28 FOX TBA
Game 4: AL Champion at NL Champion Saturday, October 29 FOX TBA
Game 5: AL Champion at NL Champion* Sunday, October 30 FOX TBA
Game 6: NL Champion at AL Champion* Tuesday, November 1 FOX TBA
Game 7: NL Champion at AL Champion* Wednesday, November 2 FOX TBA

I know they say they need a 3 day turnaround but I wonder if its possible to turn around the field from baseball to soccer in 1 day even if they can't do the whole stadium?

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
So, a western conf final match can be played on a Sunday at 4, in competition with the west coast NFL late games. And the east coast in late November gets an 8 and a 7 pm weekday start. Brilliant.

MLB.Com has a different schedule

ALCS, Game 1 Friday, October 14 TBS TBA
ALCS, Game 2 Saturday, October 15 TBS TBA
ALCS, Game 3 Monday, October 17 TBS TBA
ALCS, Game 4 Tuesday, October 18 TBS TBA
ALCS, Game 5* Wednesday, October 19 TBS TBA
ALCS, Game 6* Friday, October 21 TBS TBA
ALCS, Game 7* Saturday, October 22 TBS TBA

Game 1: NL Champion at AL Champion Tuesday, October 25 FOX TBA
Game 2: NL Champion at AL Champion Wednesday, October 26 FOX TBA
Game 3: AL Champion at NL Champion Friday, October 28 FOX TBA
Game 4: AL Champion at NL Champion Saturday, October 29 FOX TBA
Game 5: AL Champion at NL Champion* Sunday, October 30 FOX TBA
Game 6: NL Champion at AL Champion* Tuesday, November 1 FOX TBA
Game 7: NL Champion at AL Champion* Wednesday, November 2 FOX TBA

I know they say they need a 3 day turnaround but I wonder if its possible to turn around the field from baseball to soccer in 1 day even if they can't do the whole stadium?

Thanks. Got mine for wiki. I should know better. Either way it could create conflict.

Two years in a row, we've had a home game on the last day of the regular season after being on the road earlier in the month. I don't think that's a coincidence. I think they know they can get a window to work with on that day. I also think they would work to get the field turned around for a playoff game if there are World Series games at Yankee Stadium. At worst, I think they might reverse the home/away timing for us, but as we all know, it's not going to be an issue this season.

Reactions: Sabo
Obviously I hope we are in the position where we are hosting Leg 2 of the Eastern Conference Semis but I recently booked a trip to Hong Kong and will be there during that match. Looks like late night internet watching for me!

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
N12qnD6.png