Would You Say Dv7 Is Just A Decoy?

roxfontaine

Level Up
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 7, 2015
I'm Around
At this point in the season, our golden boy has become nothing but a decoy for me. He's extremely important but, as we all know, without the right service he's not going to put up many more goals. Would you say it's a strategy going forward to use him to draw defenders and look to anyone else for scoring?

Reactions: einwindir
"Decoy" underestimates how many goals he's been a part of this year. Before Saturday, Villa had a huge hand in over half our goals (3 goals(1 PK), 2 assists, plus the non-assist to Mix v. Orlando and the Shot creating the chance Ballouchy buried v. Chicago). It's true that until Lampard gets here (and any other DPs) Villa is going to get swarmed (same thing is happening to kaka) and others need to earn attention from defenders to free him up.

"Decoy" underestimates how many goals he's been a part of this year. Before Saturday, Villa had a huge hand in over half our goals (3 goals(1 PK), 2 assists, plus the non-assist to Mix v. Orlando and the Shot creating the chance Ballouchy buried v. Chicago). It's true that until Lampard gets here (and any other DPs) Villa is going to get swarmed (same thing is happening to kaka) and others need to earn attention from defenders to free him up.
I agree. But I still think 3 goals (1 being a penalty) and 2 assists is much below what people should expect from Villa.

At this point in the season, our golden boy has become nothing but a decoy for me. He's extremely important but, as we all know, without the right service he's not going to put up many more goals. Would you say it's a strategy going forward to use him to draw defenders and look to anyone else for scoring?
Hence, why you cannot compete in MLS with only one DP.

Not for nothing but in a documentary about the real Cosmos in the 70's Pele had the same problems. The rest of the team has to get better. If defenders get pulled off Villa will get more decent chances.
I've noticed Velasquez tries this often. He makes these wild runs with the ball to (presumabley) coax defenders off Villa. Problem is Tian doesn't quite have the ball control skills and foresight when he starts getting swarmed.

You have to keep in mind that every team knows that the rest of the roster is not really a threat so their strategy is to swarm Villa and make everyone else beat them.

Then I say continue with the current trend. Ballouchy, Mullins, and Poku getting forward and shooting. Teams have to start respecting them at some point.

Reactions: einwindir