2017 MLS Award Finalists & Winners

Gotham Gator

Registered
Donor
Feb 9, 2015
Bronxville, NY
Lion Edit: Winners in Bold...

Don't shoot the messenger.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/10/31/finalists-revealed-2017-mls-year-end-awards

2017 Major League Soccer Awards Finalists
Landon Donovan MLS Most Valuable Player Finalists
  • Miguel Almirón (Atlanta United)
  • Sebastian Giovinco (Toronto FC)
  • Nemanja Nikolić (Chicago Fire)
  • Diego Valeri (Portland Timbers)
  • David Villa (New York City FC)
Defender of the Year Finalists
  • Justin Morrow (Toronto FC)
  • Ike Opara (Sporting Kansas City)
  • Kendall Waston (Vancouver Whitecaps FC)
Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year Finalists
  • Andre Blake (Philadelphia Union)
  • Stefan Frei (Seattle Sounders FC)
  • Tim Melia (Sporting Kansas City)
Newcomer of the Year Finalists
  • Josef Martínez (Atlanta United)
For this award, “newcomer” is defined as a player with previous professional experience who made his MLS debut in 2017

AT&T Rookie of the Year Finalists
  • Abu Danladi (Minnesota United FC)
  • Jack Elliott (Philadelphia Union)
  • Julian Gressel (Atlanta United)
For this award, “rookie” is defined as a player without previous professional experience who made his MLS debut in 2017

Coach of the Year Finalists
  • Gerardo "Tata" Martino (Atlanta United)
  • Veljko Paunović (Chicago Fire)
  • Greg Vanney (Toronto FC)
Comeback Player of the Year Finalists
  • Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC)
  • Federico Higuaín (Columbus Crew SC)
  • Erick Torres (Houston Dynamo)
Honors an MLS player who has overcome injuries and/or adversity in order to achieve success during the 2017 regular season

MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year, presented by AdvoCare
  • Ryan Hollingshead (FC Dallas)
  • Matt Lampson (Chicago Fire)
  • Luis Robles (New York Red Bulls)
MLS Fair Play Finalists – Individual
  • DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo)
  • Jahmir Hyka (San Jose Earthquakes)
  • Dave Romney (LA Galaxy)
Selected by MLS based on objective criteria such as fouls committed, cards received, games and minutes played, as well as subjective evaluation of sportsmanlike behavior.

MLS Fair Play Finalists - Team
  • Chicago Fire
  • Seattle Sounders FC
  • Toronto FC
Selected by MLS based on objective criteria such as fewest fouls committed, cards received, and on subjective evaluation of sportsmanlike behavior.

Referee of the Year Finalists
  • Allen Chapman
  • Ismail Elfath
  • Mark Geiger
Assistant Referee of the Year Finalists
  • Jeremy Hanson
  • Corey Parker
  • Adam Wienckowski

Last edited by a moderator:
Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year Finalists (Winner announced: Nov. 16)
  • Andre Blake (Philadelphia Union)
  • Stefan Frei (Seattle Sounders FC)
  • Tim Melia (Sporting Kansas City)
LOL
Newcomer of the Year Finalists (Winner announced: Nov. 20)
  • Josef Martínez (Atlanta United)
For this award, “newcomer” is defined as a player with previous professional experience who made his MLS debut in 2017
Kind of surprised that Ring isn't here, but I really can't argue against those 3. I guess if the list was longer then I'd include him.
AT&T Rookie of the Year Finalists (Winner announced: Nov. 8)
  • Abu Danladi (Minnesota United FC)
  • Jack Elliott (Philadelphia Union)
  • Julian Gressel (Atlanta United)
For this award, “rookie” is defined as a player without previous professional experience who made his MLS debut in 2017
Gressel has got to have this one wrapped up.

Kinda surprised by the Giovinco inclusion for MVP. Most Toronto fans doesn't even think he has been the MVP of their team this year. I mean, I know he's Giovinco and he has been one of the best players in the league, but hasn't reached those heights as consistently as he did in 2015.

Think Valeri takes it anyway.

Also, been seeing a lot of comments that Valeri is the odds on favorite, but it makes me wonder if Villa hadn't won last year if people would have a harder time picking between the two. They have such similar numbers, and both have been talismans for their teams. Both also have the leadership/captain aspect.

MLS Best XI

Goalkeeper: Tim Melia (Sporting Kansas City)

Defenders: Justin Morrow (Toronto FC), Ike Opara (Sporting Kansas City), Kendall Waston (Vancouver Whitecaps FC)

Midfielders: Miguel Almirón (Atlanta United), Víctor Vázquez (Toronto FC), Diego Valeri (Portland Timbers)

Forwards: Sebastian Giovinco (Toronto FC), Josef Martínez (Atlanta United), Nemanja Nikolić (Chicago Fire), David Villa (New York City FC)

3 Americans on the list, none from the USMNT and Arena thinks they need to be picking MLS players for the USMNT?

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
MLS Best XI

Goalkeeper: Tim Melia (Sporting Kansas City)

Defenders: Justin Morrow (Toronto FC), Ike Opara (Sporting Kansas City), Kendall Waston (Vancouver Whitecaps FC)

Midfielders: Miguel Almirón (Atlanta United), Víctor Vázquez (Toronto FC), Diego Valeri (Portland Timbers)

Forwards: Sebastian Giovinco (Toronto FC), Josef Martínez (Atlanta United), Nemanja Nikolić (Chicago Fire), David Villa (New York City FC)

3 Americans on the list, none from the USMNT and Arena thinks they need to be picking MLS players for the USMNT?
Justin Morrow had multiple caps this year for the USMNT. I think that Opara and Melia not getting looks over Tim Howard and Omar Gonzalez is more on Bruce than MLS.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
If Villa hadn't gone to Spain, didn't get injured, played in those 3 games, (He only played 18 minutes in the three matches following the international break), I genuinely believe he could have broken the MLS scoring record, achieve 10 assist, and be the first player to win back to back MVP awards.

Reactions: Kjbert