2017 U20 WC Roster Announced

Midas Mulligan

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 29, 2014
NYC
Tab going to Tab. Being a dickhead and no taking any of the guys from the Bundesliga, which probably includes the best 2 players not named Pulisic in the pool, or Akale from Villareal. Also, he left Josh Perez, who crushes it at Fiorentina and has already made his Serie A debut. Oh, and no Olossunde from ManU, either.

Also of note, he sticks his foot in the ass of a U17 squad that looked like a possible favorite to win it all by taking Sargent away from them. (eta: although, now there is reasonable speculation the rule has been changed to allow a player to compete in both u17 & u20 WCFs).

Someone needs to get him out of the USSF pay pool quickly.

USA UNDER-20 WORLD CUP ROSTER

Goalkeepers (3): Jonathan Klinsmann (University of California), J.T. Marcinkowski (Georgetown), Brady Scott (De Anza Force)

Defenders (7): Danny Acosta (Real Salt Lake / MLS), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur / England), Marlon Fossey (Fulham FC / England), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake / MLS), Aaron Herrera (University of New Mexico), Erik Palmer-Brown (Sporting Kansas City / MLS), Tommy Redding (Orlando City SC / MLS)

Midfielders (5): Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls / MLS), Luca De La Torre (Fulham FC / England), Derrick Jones (Philadelphia Union / MLS), Eryk Williamson (University of Maryland), Gedion Zelalem (Arsenal FC / England)

Forwards (6): Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers / MLS), Lagos Kunga (Atlanta United FC Academy), Brooks Lennon (Real Salt Lake / MLS), Emmanuel Sabbi (unattached), Josh Sargent (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri), Sebastian Saucedo (Real Salt Lake / MLS)

Last edited:
Tab going to Tab. Being a dickhead and no taking any of the guys from the Bundesliga, which probably includes the best 2 players not named Pulisic in the pool, or Akale from Villareal.

Also of note, he sticks his foot in the ass of U17 club who looked like a possible favorite to win it all by taking Sargent away from them.

USA UNDER-20 WORLD CUP ROSTER

Goalkeepers (3): Jonathan Klinsmann (University of California), J.T. Marcinkowski (Georgetown), Brady Scott (De Anza Force)

Defenders (7): Danny Acosta (Real Salt Lake / MLS), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur / England), Marlon Fossey (Fulham FC / England), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake / MLS), Aaron Herrera (University of New Mexico), Erik Palmer-Brown (Sporting Kansas City / MLS), Tommy Redding (Orlando City SC / MLS)

Midfielders (5): Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls / MLS), Luca De La Torre (Fulham FC / England), Derrick Jones (Philadelphia Union / MLS), Eryk Williamson (University of Maryland), Gedion Zelalem (Arsenal FC / England)

Forwards (6): Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers / MLS), Lagos Kunga (Atlanta United FC Academy), Brooks Lennon (Real Salt Lake / MLS), Emmanuel Sabbi (unattached), Josh Sargent (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri), Sebastian Saucedo (Real Salt Lake / MLS)
Fascinating.... didn't Lewis generate most of the offense last time he played for them (when he was allowed on the field), and he's been left off completely?

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Fascinating.... didn't Lewis generate most of the offense last time he played for them (when he was allowed on the field), and he's been left off completely?
When he was on, he was the best winger.

I expected he'd be left off, but for Perez, Akale and Wright - none of whom made this roster.

No Weston McKinnie or McKinze Gaines is ridiculous.

When he was on, he was the best winger.

I expected he'd be left off, but for Perez, Akale and Wright - none of whom made this roster.

No Weston McKinnie or McKinze Gaines is ridiculous.
Crazy that those guys are left off and a u17 is snagged. If he rides the bench at all, it's a massive mistake to bring him. It's a massive mistake anyway for screwing the 17s.

Reactions: adam
Crazy that those guys are left off and a u17 is snagged. If he rides the bench at all, it's a massive mistake to bring him. It's a massive mistake anyway for screwing the 17s.
Apparently, this Kunga guy is a real shock to everyone. Lots of folks asking how the hell you take him over Lewis, even if the Euro-based players couldn't get released. Kunga wasn't even invited to qualifying camp.

Reactions: Paul and adam
The good news from this is there are quite a few RSL guys that he's taking that won't be available when we travel to play them in a week.

Lennon and Saucedo started their last match, while Acosta was available on the bench. Glad wasn't available, but I've heard he's been coming off an injury about to get back into action.

Apparently, this Kunga guy is a real shock to everyone. Lots of folks asking how the hell you take him over Lewis, even if the Euro-based players couldn't get released. Kunga wasn't even invited to qualifying camp.
Went to watch NYCFC reserves team play today and Lewis Stertzer and Okoli looked sharp. Lewis is probably mad he didn't get picked for u20 World Cup. Could be good for us

Went to watch NYCFC reserves team play today and Lewis Stertzer and Okoli looked sharp. Lewis is probably mad he didn't get picked for u20 World Cup. Could be good for us

So you attended training? Who are you? College coach? NYCFC Scout? CFG personality?

Reactions: adam
So you attended training? Who are you? College coach? NYCFC Scout? CFG personality?

He knew way too much about Lewis' HS and college career. He's either one of his old coaches or dad/brother. Or mom, I don't want to be labeled sexist, that would be like Okoli as the hot long legged chick at the bar... oh, nevermind.

And I was able to attend training because I'm friends with Claudio and I used to work in the us youth national team setup
Are you anonymized enough to give us a take on Tab as a coach? I am mostly unimpressed, but I'd be curios to hear the thoughts of someone who's been around the program.

As to the Euro-based players, Tab confirmed that Schalke (Haji Wright and Weston McKinnie) and Fiorentina (Josh Perez) wouldn't release the players.

Just want to point out that Schalke came out and said, I paraphrase here, "WTF is Tab talking about?"

They said they would release the players after their U 19 commitments were done. This happens to correspond to a date that is after the group stages of the tournament are finished. Thus, Tab can have the players as long as he accepts that they will not have any training with the team and will miss a bunch of games. With the rosters number as limited as they are I can see Tab just saying screw it I need depth in case someone gets hurt.

Are we confident that Spurs will release Carter-Vickers? I don't see any reason why Arsenal wouldn't release Zelalem, though I don't know what if anything VVV-Venlo has to say about it.

They said they would release the players after their U 19 commitments were done. This happens to correspond to a date that is after the group stages of the tournament are finished. Thus, Tab can have the players as long as he accepts that they will not have any training with the team and will miss a bunch of games. With the rosters number as limited as they are I can see Tab just saying screw it I need depth in case someone gets hurt.
Well, they'd miss one group stage game. If they're good enough to take, you take them imo.

Well, they'd miss one group stage game. If they're good enough to take, you take them imo.

Isn't the next game like the day after their released? And that first group game miss only occurs if they crash out of a tournament if I'm not mistaken.

Also it's only a 21 man roster, if you have 3 guys that you know aren't going to be there you're stuck with an 18 man roster. That is way too thin for my tastes. And I can see why Tab would prefer to say screw it and bring some depth.

Add in the fact that the euro players are going to be jet lagged and not familiar with the team or tactics at all and I find myself agreeing with Tab for once.

Reactions: adam and Ulrich
Isn't the next game like the day after their released? And that first group game miss only occurs if they crash out of a tournament if I'm not mistaken.

Also it's only a 21 man roster, if you have 3 guys that you know aren't going to be there you're stuck with an 18 man roster. That is way too thin for my tastes. And I can see why Tab would prefer to say screw it and bring some depth.

Add in the fact that the euro players are going to be jet lagged and not familiar with the team or tactics at all and I find myself agreeing with Tab for once.
Eh. I disagree. You are talking about two guys are likely the best in the age group outside Pulisic.

I don't know what you mean about crashing out of a tournament.

If didn't watch the match, you should.

Not great footy, but great fun.

Josh Sargent is ginger soccer god.