2020 Leagues Cup

moogoo

Registered
Elite Donor
Nov 8, 2017
NYC
Didn't see a thread on this so thought I'd start one. Not really much to discuss on this at this point but was looking at MLSsoccer.com and saw their article about who has clinched what. According to MLS, we have clinched a leagues cup berth. I find this really irritating because they've assumed that we won't qualify for CCL by making this statement.

To review, to qualify for Leagues Cup in 2020, top 4 teams in each conference (8 total) from MLS who did not qualify for CCL will qualify for Leagues Cup. From the Liga MX side, they are sending their champions, who I presume would also be qualified for CCL (not sure how that makes any sense).

said article here: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/08/27/how-mls-teams-could-qualify-2020-concacaf-champions-league

EDIT:
they've since changed their header to add "if not CCL"

good ole MLS writers...

Didn't see a thread on this so thought I'd start one. Not really much to discuss on this at this point but was looking at MLSsoccer.com and saw their article about who has clinched what. According to MLS, we have clinched a leagues cup berth. I find this really irritating because they've assumed that we won't qualify for CCL by making this statement.

To review, to qualify for Leagues Cup in 2020, top 4 teams in each conference (8 total) from MLS who did not qualify for CCL will qualify for Leagues Cup. From the Liga MX side, they are sending their champions, who I presume would also be qualified for CCL (not sure how that makes any sense).

said article here: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/08/27/how-mls-teams-could-qualify-2020-concacaf-champions-league
It's poorly stated, but I think they are looking it as one would a statement that we clinched a playoff berth as of a few weeks ago. Or perhaps a better analogy, you might say in baseball or football that a particular team has clinched a wild card spot when it leads its division but has not clinched the division. The team might not need the wild card spot or play in the wild card game, but at that point it can do no worse than that and better is not guaranteed, no matter how likely. That's where NYCFC is right now WRT Leagues Cup and CCL.

Reactions: adam and moogoo

EDIT:

good ole MLS writers...

yes but MLS i guess didnt want to have their recent chamions go= CCL, MLS, US OPEN, Leagues cup. no way a team is even half successful with all those games and limited depth. so then they send next four to not have extreme over load of games.

for liga mx you right they send the recent champions and they dont participate in their local cup ( copa mx) tournament. just league and international tournament ( CCL or Leagues Cup), so it helps with their distribution of games

Reactions: adam

EDIT:

good ole MLS writers...
Judging from the comments, this appears to be a poor update of an article originally posted 4 weeks ago.