Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY

Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs schedule
Round One
  • Nov. 20 - 12:00 PM ET - Univision, TUDN, local English-language broadcast, TSN, TVA Sports
  • Nov. 20 - 3:00 PM ET - Univision, TUDN, local English-language broadcast, TSN, TVA Sports
  • Nov. 21 - 3:00 PM ET - ABC, ESPN Deportes, TSN, TVA Sports
  • Nov. 21 - 5:30 PM ET - ESPN, ESPN Deportes, TSN, TVA Sports
  • Nov. 23 - Time TBD - FS1, FOX Deportes, TSN, TVA Sports
Conference Semifinals
  • Nov. 25 - 4:30 PM ET - FOX, FOX Deportes, TSN, TVA Sports (Thanksgiving)
  • Nov. 28 - 3:00 PM ET - ABC, ESPN Deportes, TSN, TVA Sports
  • Nov. 28 - 5:30 PM ET - ESPN, ESPN Deportes, TSN, TVA Sports
  • Nov. 30 - Time TBD - FS1, FOX Deportes, TSN, TVA Sports
Conference Finals
  • Dec. 4 - Time TBD - FS1, FOX Deportes, TSN, TVA Sports
  • Dec. 5 - 3:00 PM ET - ABC, ESPN Deportes, TSN, TVA Sports
MLS Cup
  • Dec. 11 - 3:00 PM ET - ABC, UniMás, TUDN, TSN, TVA Sports

Round One
  • Nov. 20 - 12:00 PM ET - Univision, TUDN, local English-language broadcast, TSN, TVA Sports
  • Nov. 20 - 3:00 PM ET - Univision, TUDN, local English-language broadcast, TSN, TVA Sports
Conference Semifinals
Conference Finals
MLS Cup
3pm ET on a Saturday?!?!?! oh come on! I hate the scheduling gods.

Round One
Conference Semifinals
Conference Finals
MLS Cup

is this first time they do a game on thanksgiving? i get why they normally won't do it ( NFL). but i guess cool they trying it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gotham Gator
is this first time they do a game on thanksgiving? i get why they normally won do it ( NFL). but i guess cool they trying it.
Should have the NFL lead in too. Big ratings, small crowd depending on host. It needs to be an established tradition to sell tickets I think.

I like the Thanksgiving. Great idea. No, they won't get the football viewers, but there isn't a lot of crossover there anyway.
And they'll be competing with one football game as opposed to if it was on a Saturday or Sunday they'd be competing with multiple college football games or NFL games going on at once.

And they'll be competing with one football game as opposed to if it was on a Saturday or Sunday they'd be competing with multiple college football games or NFL games going on at once.

i just checked, they competing vs the cowboys :confused:, they gonna get stomped in ratings

i just checked, they competing vs the cowboys :confused:, they gonna get stomped in ratings
Hopefully the Cowboys blow out the Raiders in the first half so people will switch over in drove to the MLS game just not to hear Tony Romo crow about the Cowboys.

Hopefully the Cowboys blow out the Raiders in the first half so people will switch over in drove to the MLS game just not to hear Tony Romo crow about the Cowboys.

Obviously the MLS game will do much smaller ratings than NFL, but I bet you there are plenty of people who want a different option other than football on Thanksgiving. I would think it'll get good ratings by MLS standards.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Looking at MLS teams that play in NFL Stadiums...

New England
- Patriots play a home game on Sunday, November 28 therefore...
- Revolution will play their home Conference Semifinal on either Thanksgiving Thursday, November 25 or Tuesday, November 30

Nashville
- Titans play home games on Sunday, November 21 and Sunday, December 12 therefore...
- Nashville SC will play their home Round One game on either Saturday, November 20 or Tuesday, November 23 (of note they play on natural grass so Tuesday will be a poor field condition)
- A potential home MLS Cup final would occur the day before an NFL game

Atlanta
- Falcons play home games on Sunday, December 5 therefore...
- Atlanta United will play a potential Conference Final home game on Saturday, December 4

Seattle
- Seahawks play homes games on Sunday, November 21 and Sunday, December 5 therefore...
- Sounders will play their home Round One game on either Saturday, November 20 or Tuesday, November 23 (of note they play on turf)
- A potential home Conference Final home game on Saturday, December 4

Note: If Seattle and Atlanta are both hosting their respective Conference Final we'll see what MLS and the broadcasters do since one game takes places on December 4 and the one on December 5 (as of now)

Tracking the most likely scenarios in the East heading into decision day
With decision day here and quite a hectic, nail-biting day ahead of us, I decided to checkout, not all permutations, but most likely permutations and what that would mean for the eastern conference. Just because it's been occupying my mind the entire morning so far.

FiveThirtyEight

According to FiveThirtyEight, the most likely scenario is:

Scenario 1:
Montreal beats Orlando (46% chance)
NYCFC beats Philadelphia (57% chance)
Atlanta beat Cincinatti (42%... how is it this low? lol)
Nashville beat Red Bulls (36% chance)
NE
Nashville 56
NYCFC 53
Philly 53
Atlanta 51
Montreal 49
Orlando 48
----------------
Red Bull 47
1636298786773.png

This scenario gives NYCFC a great chance against Montreal, a team that has never won at Yankee Stadium. Elsewhere, Orlando are on a freefall, so a Nashville win would be almost inevitable, and we'd play Nashville in Nashville. Not ideal.

Likely playoff exit: Semis vs Nashville (Hello darkness my old friend...)

---

Scenario 2: Red Bulls win (32% chance)
There is one game in the east that, according to FiveThirtyEight, is within a five-point margin for victory. In other words, it's going to be a really close game. As such, it's worth exploring a Red bull win as well.
NE
NYCFC 53
Philly 53
Nashville 53
Atlanta 51
Red Bull 50
Montreal 49
----------------
Orlando 48

1636299441749.png

This scenario, like the first scenario, gives NYCFC a great chance against Montreal, a team that has never won at Yankee Stadium. Elsewhere, we avoid Nashville away, and leave Philly vs RB on our side of the bracket. Both of those teams are beatable, though we are yet to beat Red Bull this season. (Fun Fact, Red Bulls have <1GA this season).

Likely playoff exit: Conference Final vs NE

---

Scenario 3: Nashville / Red Bulls tie (31% chance)

NE
Nashville 54
NYCFC 53
Philly 53
Atlanta 51
Montreal 49
Red Bull 48
----------------
Orlando 48

1636299917667.png

I think most of us can agree that this scenario is pretty bad for us. It does, however bring about a rematch of RB vs Nashville in Nashville, similar to what we had with Philly a few years ago.

Likely playoff exit: Semis vs NA/RB

With decision day here and quite a hectic, nail-biting day ahead of us, I decided to checkout, not all permutations, but most likely permutations and what that would mean for the eastern conference. Just because it's been occupying my mind the entire morning so far.

FiveThirtyEight

Scenario 1:
NE
Nashville 56
NYCFC 53
Philly 53
Atlanta 51
Montreal 49
Orlando 48
----------------
Red Bull 47
View attachment 11529

This scenario gives NYCFC a great chance against Montreal, a team that has never won at Yankee Stadium. Elsewhere, Orlando are on a freefall, so a Nashville win would be almost inevitable, and we'd play Nashville in Nashville. Not ideal.

---

There is one game in the east that, according to FiveThirtyEight, is within a five-point margin for victory. In other words, it's going to be a really close game. As such, it's worth exploring a Red bull win as well.
NE
NYCFC 53
Philly 53
Nashville 53
Atlanta 51
Red Bull 50
Montreal 49
----------------
Orlando 48

View attachment 11530

This scenario, like the first scenario, gives NYCFC a great chance against Montreal, a team that has never won at Yankee Stadium. Elsewhere, we avoid Nashville away, and leave Philly vs RB on our side of the bracket. Both of those teams are beatable, though we are yet to beat Red Bull this season. (Fun Fact, Red Bulls have <1GA this season).

---

NE
Nashville 54
NYCFC 53
Philly 53
Atlanta 51
Montreal 49
Red Bull 48
----------------
Orlando 48

View attachment 11531

I think most of us can agree that this scenario is pretty bad for us. It does, however bring about a rematch of RB vs Nashville in Nashville, similar to what we had with Philly a few years ago.

Great stuff, although I would revise your ending. If we are playing the winner of NSH and NJRB in Round 2, we’d probably play Nashville away, but if we play NJ, that would be at home. Our likely playoff exit in that case would be at NE.

Reactions: Shwafta

FiveThirtyEight

Scenario 1:
NE
Nashville 56
NYCFC 53
Philly 53
Atlanta 51
Montreal 49
Orlando 48
----------------
Red Bull 47
View attachment 11529

---

NE
NYCFC 53
Philly 53
Nashville 53
Atlanta 51
Red Bull 50
Montreal 49
----------------
Orlando 48

View attachment 11530

---

NE
Nashville 54
NYCFC 53
Philly 53
Atlanta 51
Montreal 49
Red Bull 48
----------------
Orlando 48

View attachment 11531

Damn you decision day for being so un-freakin-predictable!

Looking at MLS teams that play in NFL Stadiums...

New England
- Patriots play a home game on Sunday, November 28 therefore...
- Revolution will play their home Conference Semifinal on either Thanksgiving Thursday, November 25 or Tuesday, November 30

So win vs. Atlanta at home and then play New England on either Thursday (Thanksgiving) or Tuesday. Very few away travelers, ugh.

The Tuesday night games have to be Nashville, Portland or Seattle, right? They wont choose to have night games in KC, NYC or Philly if they dont have to ....

The Tuesday night games have to be Nashville, Portland or Seattle, right? They wont choose to have night games in KC, NYC or Philly if they dont have to ....

I would think we'll be the ABC game on Sunday. Even though it's Yankee Stadium, NYC vs ATL is a pretty marquee game for the first round. Seattle can't play Sunday because of the Seahawks, so they have to be either Saturday or Tuesday.

I would think we'll be the ABC game on Sunday. Even though it's Yankee Stadium, NYC vs ATL is a pretty marquee game for the first round. Seattle can't play Sunday because of the Seahawks, so they have to be either Saturday or Tuesday.
Sunday 3 PM is pretty much the only time I can attend, so I’m really hoping that’s when we play.

Reactions: Shwafta
Nashville also can't play Sunday, either. So that's two games that have to be either Saturday or Tuesday. I bet Nashville-Orlando and Philly-Red Bulls are the Saturday games on Univision, Seattle is Tuesday night, and we're one of the Sunday games.