2021 MLS SuperDraft

LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
2021 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas takes place on Thursday, January 21t at 2 PM streaming on Twitter, MLSsoccer.com and other social media sites.

NYCFC has the 16th, 43rd, and 70th overall picks

2021 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas takes place on Thursday, January 21t at 2 PM streaming on Twitter, MLSsoccer.com and other social media sites.

NYCFC has the 16th, 43rd, and 70th overall picks

Great time to host this. I'm sure all eyes will be focused squarely on this event on such a quiet afternoon.

Great time to host this. I'm sure all eyes will be focused squarely on this event on such a quiet afternoon.
If you're talking about the inauguration, that would be the day before on the 20th. If you're talking about something else, then I'm in the dark.

tbf harrison techincally counts as a draft pick

There was much debate on the Forums about Jack Harrison and the amount of money that NYCFC received from the sale to Man City because of his status of acquisition. He was technically the "player to be named later" and was not drafted by NYCFC (Chicago drafted him) but received in a trade. So we didn't draft him. Who knows how it played out behind closed doors and books in MLS.

The draft continues to lose relevance in MLS, and I wouldn't be surprised if we passed entirely.

The draft continues to lose relevance in MLS, and I wouldn't be surprised if we passed entirely.

philly keep trading away their picks for GAM, thats the way to do it. i think expansion and teams that dont really spend much (nor promote anyone from their academy) find use for it.

What would be the upside of passing? It’s a free look at a player you want to look at.

And you also retain his MLS rights should he ever come back to play in MLS the team he is signing for would have to trade for his rights (usually 50K GAM).

What would be the upside of passing? It’s a free look at a player you want to look at.

If you're not planning on signing the player, or you think there are no players that you will find useful, there's no point in adding a useless player to preseason.

One big difference about this SuperDraft is because of COVID teams will not be together to walk over to other tables to discuss trades. It will all be over the phone/internet, so nobody can see who other teams are talking to.

If you're not planning on signing the player, or you think there are no players that you will find useful, there's no point in adding a useless player to preseason.
Why not?

You get the chance to evaluate the player in your own training instead of through film. LionNYC LionNYC also mentioned the MLS rights should that player go elsewhere and develop into an MLS-caliber player and look to return to the league.

There is absolutely no downside.

Now, if you're saying we should look to trade the picks for assets, that makes sense. But simply deciding not to pick a player seems a bit silly.

Reactions: moogoo
There is absolutely no downside
Opportunity cost. Every minute you spend on one player is a minute another player didn't get in that same space. I can easily see the coaching staff saying they'd rather invite academy players to camp over draft players just to give the academy players the experience.

Opportunity cost. Every minute you spend on one player is a minute another player didn't get in that same space. I can easily see the coaching staff saying they'd rather invite academy players to camp over draft players just to give the academy players the experience.

Andres Jasson > Another DP winger!

That is fair. Though I don't think the opportunity cost is really all that high considering we'd likely be talking about guys who the club is already quite familiar with.

Yeah that's my argument, too. There is absolutely no reason to waste your time on a player you're not signing. Give that spot to a guy who you actually care about.