2021 Roster Discussion

Who are you high on?

our midfield pairing. Parks and Sands. High on Gray. Probably a better player long time than Scally.
I am not high on ANY of our front line attacking players including Jasson.

our midfield pairing. Parks and Sands. High on Gray. Probably a better player long time than Scally.

ironically both have been meh so far.

Reactions: moogoo
and Medina is sitting on two goals. Yet I have a body of evidence he’s stunk since arriving

true, is more that they all go thru performance cycles ( even medina going thru a "good" cycle of scoring). its about getting out of that funk for sands and parks. Although in sands case i think he is trying to be more offensive this year and im not sure if thats good for him since his role is that DM.

Reactions: Kjbert
true, is more that they all go thru performance cycles ( even medina going thru a "good" cycle of scoring). its about getting out of that funk for sands and parks. Although in sands case i think he is trying to be more offensive this year and im not sure if thats good for him since his role is that DM.

really good comment. It’s like they want him to go box to box and athletically, he’s not there. Ring was an underrated athlete I thought.

sands is more John Stones than Frank Lampard. I’ll look forward to seeing what position he settles into in Europe

I am so underwhelmed by Parks. I’ve seen enough bad passes and him tripping over his own feet. Usually I’m surprised to know he is on the field because he disappears for long stretches. With that height shouldn’t he be more of a threat to score off a corner?
Let’s move on...

I am so underwhelmed by Parks. I’ve seen enough bad passes and him tripping over his own feet. Usually I’m surprised to know he is on the field because he disappears for long stretches. With that height shouldn’t he be more of a threat to score off a corner?
Let’s move on...
I have a feeling Morales may be displacing him sooner rather than later.

I have a feeling Morales may be displacing him sooner rather than later.
Did anyone see this from Doyle?
Breakout Candidate: Keaton Parks

I don't think people realize how good Parks has been over the past two years for one of the best teams in the league. Maybe it's because he doesn't make a ton of highlight plays and doesn't end up in the boxscore a ton, but man ... at some point we've got to be able to look beyond that.

Thankfully, we're in the nascent stages of an analytics revolution and the advanced analytics we have all love the big No. 8.
Parks does two things exceptionally well: receive the ball under pressure without turning it over, and advance the ball upfield into super useful positions. And he does all of that while being very easy on the eye -- few players in the league are smoother, or make the game look easier.

It is bizarre to me he wasn't a part of the US U23s.

Smoothe.
Really?
Few players in the league make the game look easier.
Have you actually watched an NYCFC match?
Bizarre?
Huh... Doyle should be running USA soccer.

I don't think people realize how good Parks has been over the past two years for one of the best teams in the league. Maybe it's because he doesn't make a ton of highlight plays and doesn't end up in the boxscore a ton, but man ... at some point we've got to be able to look beyond that.

Thankfully, we're in the nascent stages of an analytics revolution and the advanced analytics we have all love the big No. 8.
Parks does two things exceptionally well: receive the ball under pressure without turning it over, and advance the ball upfield into super useful positions. And he does all of that while being very easy on the eye -- few players in the league are smoother, or make the game look easier.

Smoothe.
Really?
Bizarre?

Took me like a minute to parse your post. You should use quotes and blocks to make it easier to understand which parts of your messages are what.

Also I agree, if Doyle ran US Soccer, the USMNT would have won the Champions League already and be well on their way to a Euros title, so let's get him on board!

Reactions: Kjbert

Smoothe.
Really?
Bizarre?

i saw that when he first published it.

when parks is having a very good game, he holds the ball well and makes some good passes. the way he plays comes off as extremely casual and nonchalant. unfortunately, this has resulted in him giving the ball up in very bad spots. i think the way he's so casual on the ball is what doyle was referring to.

parks CAN be a huge player for us. With his height, he is critical in winning those 50/50 balls from clearances. He needs to be winning all of those. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. I thought once he earned his spot under Dome, he was having an amazing season. after his back injury, we regressed a lot. He was so so last year and so far this year he's been pretty meh. Dome definitely developed him better than Ronny has and made use of his abilities better.

Took me like a minute to parse your post. You should use quotes and blocks to make it easier to understand which parts of your messages are what.

Also I agree, if Doyle ran US Soccer, the USMNT would have won the Champions League already and be well on their way to a Euros title, so let's get him on board!

i think you are reading his post incorrectly. i'm sure he meant that doyle doesn't know what he's talking about cause Parks is not all that great... (correct me if i'm wrong)

you are correct, I need to make it easier to understand. Also don’t know how to do the multiple repl

i think you are reading his post incorrectly. i'm sure he meant that doyle doesn't know what he's talking about cause Parks is not all that great... (correct me if i'm wrong)

I think Doyle knows some things and has to pretend he knows a lot of things and I happen to think re:parks... well I just disagree.
I hope I’m wrong. I’ve like parks at times but overall I’m feeling less confident about what he brings.

I think Doyle knows some things and has to pretend he knows a lot of things and I happen to think re: parks... well I just disagree.
I hope I’m wrong. I’ve like parks at times but overall I’m feeling less confident about what he brings.

I agree with you for the most part. I thought Dome was able to unlock his ability the best. He hasn't really shown he's ready for the big time since but we didn't really have better options in the midfield for box to box. Morales may be that person and Parks may have to re-earn his starting spot if he doesn't improve. his last 2 games have been ass. the good thing is that he seems to recognize this fact himself based on his disgusted face after being subbed off vs cinci

I didn't really take stock in the most recent Taty rumor after reading about it here (nothing against who shared it, just have no way to assess) until I listened to Soccer in the City last night and Roberto Abramowitz discussed it. He seems to be closed with Taty, and he was referring to a specific Brazilian source. Transcribing a short bit here:

The Taty Castellanos saga continues. [...[] According to my sources from Brazil, Palmieras has made an offer to New York City that they are evaluating, if it's good enough or not, but they've made a very good wage offer to Taty Castellanos. So now New York City has to [...] negotiate a contract with Taty that would include an increase. Now, Taty is at about $279,000 per year. So I tried to find out what the numbers were, but I couldn't. I wanted to find out if it was TAM level or DP level and I couldn't get them to say what the number was. But they just said the number was substantial. So whatever that is. More importantly, it's happening this week.

He later said 'this week' means before the Philly game. John Rojas kind of countered or provided some additional context about things going on with how Brazilian clubs pay, and that there would be concerns by both NYCFC/MLS and things that Taty would want to look out for, too. He cited a couple examples of recent players that backed out of after pre-agreement deals based on how Brazilian clubs structure salaries. He also pointed out some concerns about whether it would make sense for Palmieras right now (Copa Libertadores rosters are final until the next window, and they may or may not qualify, So Taty couldn't play in that competition, but would factor into some domestic competitions).

And on another note, if you want to hear more from Alfredo Morales, he’s on Crooks’ On Frame podcast this week. Similar to the intro interview he did, I find him enjoyable and I'm glad to hear it sounds like he's already doing well integrating with teammates while still trying to settle down life things before his family arrives in the summer. Also, I had either missed it before or didn't know it, but he met Sands when Sands trained with Fortuna Düsseldorf while he was also there and commented about how shy he was at the time and how much he's grown up and become a professional in that short time

Taty on 280k is probably about right for a Striker. If we pay him a dollar more then yikes.

I didn't really take stock in the most recent Taty rumor after reading about it here (nothing against who shared it, just have no way to assess) until I listened to Soccer in the City last night and Roberto Abramowitz discussed it. He seems to be closed with Taty, and he was referring to a specific Brazilian source. Transcribing a short bit here:

He later said 'this week' means before the Philly game. John Rojas kind of countered or provided some additional context about things going on with how Brazilian clubs pay, and that there would be concerns by both NYCFC/MLS and things that Taty would want to look out for, too. He cited a couple examples of recent players that backed out of after pre-agreement deals based on how Brazilian clubs structure salaries. He also pointed out some concerns about whether it would make sense for Palmieras right now (Copa Libertadores rosters are final until the next window, and they may or may not qualify, So Taty couldn't play in that competition, but would factor into some domestic competitions).

And on another note, if you want to hear more from Alfredo Morales, he’s on Crooks’ On Frame podcast this week. Similar to the intro interview he did, I find him enjoyable and I'm glad to hear it sounds like he's already doing well integrating with teammates while still trying to settle down life things before his family arrives in the summer. Also, I had either missed it before or didn't know it, but he met Sands when Sands trained with Fortuna Düsseldorf while he was also there and commented about how shy he was at the time and how much he's grown up and become a professional in that short time
Crooks is getting a lot of good interviews done. I wasn't looking to add any more sports podcasts to listen to, but I may need to add On Frame now and at least listen to the NYCFC related ones.