World Cup 2022

Ephemera.

The United States cannot have the following teams in its group.
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • Denmark
  • Germany
  • Uruguay
  • Switzerland
  • Croatia
  • Canada
  • Costa Rica/New Zealand
One key for a favorable group is for the United States to avoid the strongest Pot 4 teams - Canada, CR/NZ, Peru/Australia & the last European qualifier. The odds we end up playing one of the tougher teams are appx. 1/3, in part because the USA already cannot play Canada or the CR/NZ winner.

For the United States to have a game on Thanksgiving, we would have to be drawn into Group G or H. Regardless of group, we will play at least one game over that 4-day weekend.

Last edited:
Just so i understand correctly, each group has one team pulled from each pot?
Correct, with some teams from each pot being ineligible based on the teams pulled from the previous groups.

It's similar to how we do CCL or UCL draws.

Also there are 13 European teams so 5 groups will have 2 UEFA teams and 2 will have 1 each. No groups will have 2 teams from any other confed.

Nope not good at all... First try got argentina/USA/poland/Cameroon. Pass
First try was Belgium, USA, Serbia, and Saudi Arabia. Second try was Brazil, USA, Serbia, Wales*. Third try was Brazil, USA, Poland, Cameroon. Fourth try was Qatar, USA, Poland, Ghana. That last grouping would be my favorite...

Obviously we want Qatar from Pot 1 in our group.

But aside from Qatar, who would you want most in our group from Pot 1? And what about the others?

But aside from Qatar, who would you want most in our group from Pot 1? And what about the others?
Portugal and Belgium look the least threatening in my opinion. Belgium is at the end of their golden generation and don't seem too confident aside from KDB. Big if, as KDB can take over a game single handedly, but Lukaku and Hazard have been eh. Don't see them going in with much confidence on top of being aged. Portugal's offense scares the hell out of anyone but their defense is eh. When you're relying on a 67-year-old Pepe, that shows none of the younglings have stepped up.

Pot 3- Who are you scared of? I don't like having to face Serbia or Senegal. Senegal coming off beating Egypt twice to win AFCON and WCQ, including Mane being their leading man and Mendy in net. Serbia edged out a Pot 1 Portugal, so keep that in mind. Serbia is one of the sleepers for me.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

From pot 1, obvious Qatar, second would be Belgium or England cause they tend to shit the bed.

From Pot 3 I want to avoid Senegal and Poland. From pot 4 I want to avoid Wales. Dont love playing the African teams either cause of some bad history (ghana).

Edit (dont want serbia either).

Curse broken 8 years ago.

Also, weakest team in the field.

giphy.gif

I'm almost inclined not to want Qatar, because I think host countries generally over-perform, but yeah, they're clearly the weakest Pot 1 team. I agree Portugal and Belgium are weakest of the rest.

Now, avoiding the best Group C and D teams is where you really need to focus. Groups of Death are not made in Pot 1.

Group C - honestly I know so little about almost all of these teams, except I know Poland was a 4th place embarrassment in the 2018 WC (this after they gamed the point system to acquire a Pot 1 seeding) and again placed last in group in the Euros last summer. Qualifying? They're great at Qualifying, but not so much when they hit the main tournament. Lewandowski Schmevandowski. Give me Poland.

Group D - Can't play Canada, or Costa Rica/NZ. I guess I'll take Saudi (despite possible near home crowd) or Ghana, despite history. Gator's right, that curse died.

My other note is, based on ranking scores, is that the range in Group 2 is really tight, with <50 points between the highest and lowest. Mexico's spot at the very top of that range is perplexing.

Last edited:

I like the presentation, i think they have some good insights, though I disagree with their assessments. (and they had one incorrect part.)

Wiebe points to group of death if we get Brazil from pot 1, and then says peru or ecuador from pot 4 which is impossible.

I would say that group of death would be:
Brazil, USA, Serbia, Cameroon.

Easiest group imo would be
Qatar, USA, Tunisia, Saudi

I like the presentation, i think they have some good insights, though I disagree with their assessments. (and they had one incorrect part.)

Wiebe points to group of death if we get Brazil from pot 1, and then says peru or ecuador from pot 4 which is impossible.

i'll take the easiest group please. get that confidence and play the big boys in the next round

That easiest group also couldn't happen (Qatar and Saudi can't be together).

I think the easiest group would be what you have, but replace Saudi Arabia with Ecuador. I initially thought about including Ghana from Pot 4, but then the team from Pot 3 would have to be either Serbia or Poland instead of an African team.

Reactions: Shwafta