World Cup 2022

That easiest group also couldn't happen (Qatar and Saudi can't be together).

I think the easiest group would be what you have, but replace Saudi Arabia with Ecuador. I initially thought about including Ghana from Pot 4, but then the team from Pot 3 would have to be either Serbia or Poland instead of an African team.
Have to have 1 eufa team. Poland out of pot 3 probably is the easiest.
We want Qatar. If we don’t get Qatar we want to avoid the best of 3/4. Senegal/Serbia wales/peru.

That easiest group also couldn't happen (Qatar and Saudi can't be together).

I think the easiest group would be what you have, but replace Saudi Arabia with Ecuador. I initially thought about including Ghana from Pot 4, but then the team from Pot 3 would have to be either Serbia or Poland instead of an African team.
Well I'm a complete doofus

• Haha
Reactions: SoupInNYC and JayH
If we draw Qatar we would play them as the first match of the 2022 World Cup and I'd say that would make them as difficult as any team in Pot A, for us. They already played us this past summer and played us quite well. That was in the states. I'd have to imagine they would only be a MUCH tougher match up as hosts with all the energy surrounding them. Could potentially be a spirit breaker.

Wales and Ukraine are both ranked such that they would have been in Pot 3 had they been able to play in timely fashion and one of them qualified. In fact Wales would have been the highest ranked team in Pot 3. Unless Scotland pulls off 2 upsets, we probably have a Group with 2 Pot 3 teams and no True Pot 4.

Thanks Putin.

Not an easy group, but certainly a group that we can advance out of. Talent-wise, we are probably the 2nd best team in the group, and England is beatable imo.
Could have been worse, could have been better, but I'm fairly relieved with this draw. Of course, we could lose all three matches, but we could just as reasonably win all 3.

Other thoughts:
  • If the USA can get out of the group stage, probably the easier potential first knockout stage opponents matching up with Group A.
  • Mexico will have a tough time getting out of their group
  • Group D also looks tough assuming Peru advances. Tunisia is likely the easiest Pot 3 team, but Peru likely the toughest Pot 4 (and wouldn't be in Pot 4 themselves if it weren't for the playoff).

Reactions: mgarbowski
If you assume the highest ranked team in each pre-tournament playoff prevails, then the average ranking of each group ranges from 14.75 to 29.75 (a lower number is harder).

We are in the 14.75 group. The lowest ranked team in our group would be a 21. Three groups have average rankings lower than that. I know the rankings aren't perfect, and I don't think this is an impossible group, but putting Wales and Ukraine in Pot 4 did screw us over. You can't say that barring a catastrophe we definitely finish ahead of Team X, and just need to finish ahead of 1 of the other 2.

• Mexico will have a tough time getting out of their group
  • Group D also looks tough assuming Peru advances. Tunisia is likely the easiest Pot 3 team, but Peru likely the toughest Pot 4 (and wouldn't be in Pot 4 themselves if it weren't for the playoff).

Mexico's group is third weakest by rankings with a 22 average. Rankings aside, I think you and I disagree about Poland. But honestly I'm looking forward to the Poland Mexico matchup, which I see as 2 teams sort of running on fumes of reputation and rankings, to see who comes out ahead.
By rankings, Group D is second toughest at 17.5. Peru being in Pot 4 is ridiculous, though I don't see a solution. I understand why the playoff teams have to be there.

Again, I have all sorts of beefs with the rankings. But not having a true Pot 4 team in the group hurts. If I try to put a positive spin on it, which I almost believe, I would say that there's a better chance that the Pot 3 and 4 teams split, and maybe one of them takes down England. But they could do it to us, too.

As I said way back on Page 1, the key to getting an easy group is not getting one of the playoff teams as the Pot 4 contribution since the best of them would be ranked above Pot 4.

We had a 2/3 chance to avoid that, but we did not.

Remember that Groups of Death are not created by the two toughest teams but by having really strong representatives for the two weakest teams. It's a lot harder to end up with a Group of Death the way the draws are seeded now, but we come close.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
FPRmUaKWYAQA39v

Reactions: moogoo
My favorite part of the absurd spectacle was how they went through the motions for in-group placement draws for the Pot 1 teams, even though they all go into Slot 1. Watching the ex players pick out the red ball was super-exciting, but the best part was how they still played the suspense music until they held up the ribbon to confirm that nobody in the process screwed it up.

My favorite part of the absurd spectacle was how they went through the motions for in-group placement draws for the Pot 1 teams, even though they all go into Slot 1. Watching the ex players pick out the red ball was super-exciting, but the best part was how they still played the suspense music until they held up the ribbon to confirm that nobody in the process screwed it up.
I was laughing so hard when they got to Portugal

Reactions: mgarbowski