World Cup 2022

My favorite part of the absurd spectacle was how they went through the motions for in-group placement draws for the Pot 1 teams, even though they all go into Slot 1. Watching the ex players pick out the red ball was super-exciting, but the best part was how they still played the suspense music until they held up the ribbon to confirm that nobody in the process screwed it up.
And that those balls seemed to not be the easiest to open up, which I guess is good for a random draw, but for unnecessary "draws" for positioning, it just adds so much more time.

I had somehow convinced my wife to watch the draw with me and this was driving her up the wall.

I was laughing so hard when they got to Portugal
I was rooting so hard for one of the red balls to have the wrong ribbon in it and watch the reaction of the poor guy who picked it out and has to read it.
And that those balls seemed to not be the easiest to open up, which I guess is good for a random draw, but for unnecessary "draws" for positioning, it just adds so much more time.
I had somehow convinced my wife to watch the draw with me and this was driving her up the wall.
You could see when one of the guys who picked countries (Pot 3 I think) kept getting prompted by the guy next to him how to open it, which was weird because he wasn't having any more trouble than anyone else was.

On the flip side, I was very impressed at how well the host kept up with all the on-the-fly adjustments to say Country X can't go in Group B or C so they are in D, etc. I presume he had visual and or earpiece prompts, but it was all very smooth.

I was rooting so hard for one of the red balls to have the wrong ribbon in it and watch the reaction of the poor guy who picked it out and has to read it.

You could see when one of the guys who picked countries (Pot 3 I think) kept getting prompted by the guy next to him how to open it, which was weird because he wasn't having any more trouble than anyone else was.

On the flip side, I was very impressed at how well the host kept up with all the on-the-fly adjustments to say Country X can't go in Group B or C so they are in D, etc. I presume he had visual and or earpiece prompts, but it was all very smooth.
YES! "Red ball, <person>. Red ball. The red one."

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Other thoughts:
  • If the USA can get out of the group stage, probably the easier potential first knockout stage opponents matching up with Group A.
  • Mexico will have a tough time getting out of their group
  • Group D also looks tough assuming Peru advances. Tunisia is likely the easiest Pot 3 team, but Peru likely the toughest Pot 4 (and wouldn't be in Pot 4 themselves if it weren't for the playoff).
For me, the funniest thing about Group D is that Peru was also in a group with Denmark and France in 2018. The other team in that group was Australia, which they will probably meet now in the playoff match. What are the chances? It is like Groundhog Day WC edition.

If you assume the highest ranked team in each pre-tournament playoff prevails, then the average ranking of each group ranges from 14.75 to 29.75 (a lower number is harder).

We are in the 14.75 group. The lowest ranked team in our group would be a 21. Three groups have average rankings lower than that. I know the rankings aren't perfect, and I don't think this is an impossible group, but putting Wales and Ukraine in Pot 4 did screw us over. You can't say that barring a catastrophe we definitely finish ahead of Team X, and just need to finish ahead of 1 of the other 2.

Mexico's group is third weakest by rankings with a 22 average. Rankings aside, I think you and I disagree about Poland. But honestly I'm looking forward to the Poland Mexico matchup, which I see as 2 teams sort of running on fumes of reputation and rankings, to see who comes out ahead.
By rankings, Group D is second toughest at 17.5. Peru being in Pot 4 is ridiculous, though I don't see a solution. I understand why the playoff teams have to be there.

Again, I have all sorts of beefs with the rankings. But not having a true Pot 4 team in the group hurts. If I try to put a positive spin on it, which I almost believe, I would say that there's a better chance that the Pot 3 and 4 teams split, and maybe one of them takes down England. But they could do it to us, too.
Can you post the ranking of each group. Interested in seeing.

Can you post the ranking of each group. Interested in seeing.
Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 4.04.02 PM.png

The cream backgrounds are the assumed playoff winners. The 21.15 figure is the average of the averages.

*fingers crossed we and anyone else advance and England get eliminated so I can cackle at all the English pundits losing their shit*

Looking back at our last two WC Groups: 2010 (viewed as very easy) and 2014 (viewed as very tough).

England (7)
United States (11)
Algeria (29)
Slovenia (49)

Germany (2)
United States (13)
Portugal (14)
Ghana (23)

England (5)
United States (15)
Wales (18)
Iran (21)

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC
Looking back at our last two WC Groups: 2010 (viewed as very easy) and 2014 (viewed as very tough).

England (7)
United States (11)
Algeria (29)
Slovenia (49)

Germany (2)
United States (13)
Portugal (14)
Ghana (23)

England (5)
United States (15)
Wales (18)
Iran (21)

Wow. In 4 consecutive (for us) tournaments, we had just one year with a group member ranked lower than 23, and that year we had 2.

I’m happy with the USA group. We should finish second. Also happy with Croatia group. No real group of death.
Should we get a sub forum going for this or thread by thread in this sub forum?

England (7)
United States (11)
Algeria (29)
Slovenia (49)

Germany (2)
United States (13)
Portugal (14)
Ghana (23)

England (5)
United States (15)
Wales (18)
Iran (21)
2018? Come on…

Reactions: FootyLovin
Reposting here since this is the more appropriate thread.

Bracket league for this forum. Click the link to join!

Reactions: mgarbowski
Reposting here since this is the more appropriate thread.

Bracket league for this forum. Click the link to join!

Joined, thanks. Who does everyone got for the winner? I went with France but I’d like to see Belgium. Ideally Croatia but that’s not realistic.

Reactions: Schwallacus
Joined, thanks. Who does everyone got for the winner? I went with France but I’d like to see Belgium. Ideally Croatia but that’s not realistic.

I picked Argentina. Partly because I kinda feel like it's destiny for Messi and partly because they have a solid squad who isn't reliant on Messi anymore.

Brazil had a ton of talent but I think they flop. I think France pulls a 2018 Spain and don't even make it through the group. No Pogba or Kante is huge. But we'll see. I'm hoping for some good upsets but want Messi to finally get his world cup trophy