2024 Concacaf Champions Cup

Fantazma

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Nov 9, 2014

Expansion and new qualifying methods. MLS regular spots/ US open cup/ leagues cup are methods to get in.
Are the 5 MLS slots a cross-border free-for-all between US and Canadian clubs?

Are the 5 MLS slots a cross-border free-for-all between US and Canadian clubs?

yes, Canadian teams can qualify thru MLS slots. this way we don't hear the complaining like TFC fans complained in 2019 when they made it to MLS CUP final.

Reactions: mgarbowski
We're going to have the 2024 thread up before the 2023 thread? Lol

feel free to edit if you want. i felt the changes were big enough to make it its own thread.
I’m joking. It’s important news. Just know the 2023 tournament follows the same rules as 2022.

This probably results in 9-10 MLS teams getting in. 5 from the league 3 from the Open Cup and 1-2 from the Leagues Cup.

Reactions: JCMore
apparently this will now be called CONCACAF CHAMPIONS CUP with a $5m prize for the champs..

They re-vamp and re-design the CCL like every season now? LOL

They re-vamp and re-design the CCL like every season now? LOL

they're trying to make more money somehow... more teams, more prize money. still can't play in YS. lol. i guess we won't have to worry about that next year...

The rebranding reminds me of the FIBA Basketball Champions league logo and colors

OgImage_en.png

15796929113592.jpg

10 MLS teams qualified for the 2024 CCC. The draw was earlier this week...
View attachment 13117
I kind of like this format, except that the draw resulted in 8/14 teams on the right side of the bracket being MLS teams and only 2/14 on the left side.

SV Robinhood, from Suriname.

I like how random bits of the English language and other British culture just pop up in soccer team names around the world. Suriname was briefly an English colony before it was Dutch, but that ended looong before the team was founded in 1945.*

* There was a dispute between England and Holland in the 17th century that was resolved by the English getting New Amsterdam and the Dutch Suriname.

Last edited:
I kind of like this format, except that the draw resulted in 8/14 teams on the right side of the bracket being MLS teams and only 2/14 on the left side.
Well it does (almost) ensure it's another Liga MX vs. MLS final, which is probably what Concacaf/MLS/Liga MX want.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
That was the most Philadelphy own goal I’ve ever seen

Tichina Arnold Lol GIF by Martin

damn.

MLS teams got spanked in mexico. a total embarrassment considering these are the "top" teams of MLS. still can't handle playing in mexico.

damn.

MLS teams got spanked in mexico. a total embarrassment considering these are the "top" teams of MLS. still can't handle playing in mexico.

Kind of makes Leagues Cup being in US/Canada exclusively even more of a sham. In the real tournament where Mexican teams don't have one hand tied behind their backs, they clean our clocks. MLS isn't really that close.

Kind of makes Leagues Cup being in US/Canada exclusively even more of a sham. In the real tournament where Mexican teams don't have one hand tied behind their backs, they clean our clocks. MLS isn't really that close.
The LigaMX advantage is strongest among the best clubs. Their best will usually beat our best. MLS is probably even or better among the mids and should be better at the bottom.
It is a joke that the Leagues Cup is played entirely in the USA, at the preference of both MLS and LMX management/ownership.