2024 Concacaf Champions Cup

Kind of makes Leagues Cup being in US/Canada exclusively even more of a sham. In the real tournament where Mexican teams don't have one hand tied behind their backs, they clean our clocks. MLS isn't really that close.
The LigaMX advantage is strongest among the best clubs. Their best will usually beat our best. MLS is I probably even or better among the mids and should be better at the bottom.
It is a joke that the Leagues Cup is played entirely in the USA, at the preference of both MLS and LMX management/ownership.

they should play the group stages in the US, but travel for the knockouts with higher seed getting the home game. that would make it better and save travel costs/burden for everyone while making it more fair and give the group stages a bit more meaning.

they should play the group stages in the US, but travel for the knockouts with higher seed getting the home game. that would make it better and save travel costs/burden for everyone while making it more fair and give the group stages a bit more meaning.

But if they did that, MLS wouldn't appear to be at the level of Liga MX. The non-money making part of this tournament is making it look like MLS is improving and at Liga MX's level.

But if they did that, MLS wouldn't appear to be at the level of Liga MX. The non-money making part of this tournament is making it look like MLS is improving and at Liga MX's level.
I think the non-money part is both leagues marketing to Mexican ex-pats in the US. LMX wants to retain those fans and MLS wants to attract them, and apparently they believe it's a win-win.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Kind of makes Leagues Cup being in US/Canada exclusively even more of a sham. In the real tournament where Mexican teams don't have one hand tied behind their backs, they clean our clocks. MLS isn't really that close.
I disagree. MLS has competed very well with Liga MX over the last few years.

Thinking about your "clean our clocks" line, I went over MLS-Liga MX games in CCL over the past few years to see how many wins each side had by 2+ goals. Last year, there weren't any wins like that. In 2022, MLS teams won 4 times by that margin compared to 1 for Liga MX. Over the last six years, the tally is 11 for MLS and 15 for Liga MX.