Al Dukes Is An Idiot. Just Called Wfan To Talk About The Derby

jaycrewz

Registered
Mar 2, 2015
So right before the Boomer and Carton show started, one of the overnight guys (Tony Paige) was talking to one of producers for the morning show (Al Dukes). Al is busy bashing soccer and saying Americans dont watch unless its the World Cup and that we just pretend to like soccer because its a big tournament.

Tony then says he likes to turn on Univision on the weekend and watch random games, especially since his son plays soccer. Al is surprised by this and continues to bash the sport by saying the USA - Germany game was "only" 2-0 and that "nothing happened". These are the same idiots who will marvel at a 14 - 0 NFL game, or a 2-1 MLB game thats a pitchers duel.

So I decided to call in and when I asked to talk about the NY derby because I was there, and the atmosphere was electric...that idiot is like "the guys won't talk about it". I ask why and he says because no one is interested. I bring up 50,000 fans in Yankee Stadium...and he replies that its not covered on TV. I bring up that it was nationally televised on ESPN...and then he says the ratings arent good.

I then ask him, well what were the ratings then, because I know MLS ratings arent much worse than MLB games (non-prime time). I also ask if the station is going to continue disrespecting MLS despite carrying NYCFC games and his reply is "we cant survive on the radio talking about soccer". And I just chuckle and say "ok I understand you have an older demographic" and hang up.

Then I turned the radio back on, and Boomer is giving a lot of props to the USA womens team...and praising the game...and Carton is trying to rush him to change topics. Like damn...why did the Yankees pick this station to cover the team and not get an ESPN deal or a different AM station? I know sports radio is old school and all...but I grew up on it, am still in my 20s...so I know Im not the only young guy who hears the soccer bashing all the time.

It just seems like a huge conflict of interest that even the biggest games on the NYCFC and USA calender get disrespected like that.

Only reason I even called in is because I wanted to school that fool Dukes and Carton as well, on how popular the game is. Tony Paige, Boomer, and maybe 1 weekend host are the only ones on the station that respect the game. Kind of a shame really...and makes me not even want to tune into NYCFC games on the radio.

Itd be better for the ratings to tank on WFAN and them to find a partner that wont bash the sport constantly.

Last edited:
PS - And just now Carton was giving out the station number and was saying what topics were up to discussion this morning, and he mentioned soccer. Yet somehow their idiot producer didnt even let me through to discuss soccer. Pathetic.

Id say thats not bad given the time slots.

Also, the Women's World Cup games have been making it over 1.1 million rather easily ever since the quarterfinals.

No one likes to talk about things that makes them look a bit outdated.. I recall a time when newspapers flatly refused to discuss the possibility of Internetbased news being a threat to them.
But times changes regardless..

Reactions: jaycrewz
I know Al Dukes niece , she's crazy. Like crazy...

Overly-Attached-Girlfriend-GIF-1.gif

I think Glenn Crooks is the Wfan analyst and a great guy, at least on Twitter. Let him know his colleagues are dipshits.

Reactions: Kubah
I think Glenn Crooks is the Wfan analyst and a great guy, at least on Twitter. Let him know his colleagues are dipshits.
And maybe do so without calling them names, so he doesn't get defensive on behalf of his colleagues. Maybe just let him know screeners won't let in callers who want to talk soccer even when the host does. If there's a way to contact that host on Twitter it should be done as well.

Actually one of the nicest guys there is, he helped a charity I work with out pretty big the last 2 years without the slightest hesitation. The honest to god truth is if WFAN started talking about soccer, people would tune out. Hell, the NHL doesn't even get much attention beyond playoffs. NY is a Football/Baseball/Basketball town until the ratings say otherwise, I don't blame any of the prime time guys for not wanting to cover it in fear of losing listeners.

What would be smart is if I was one of the late night guys, like a Tony Paige, I'd really pump it out via Twitter that I'd be talking soccer/MLS and try to get a following there. Could be a great way for a less established guy to make their name and get a passionate following. But the numbers are the numbers, you can't compare soccer fandom in this country to the NBA/MLB/NFL from a financial perspective. The change is going to come slowly but surely, and I think it's going to take a younger DJ who realizes the gap here to step up and start covering it when they can.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but this is why I'm always preaching when you do hear/read something about soccer, you should always take the time out to contact the host/writer and let them know you appreciate the coverage and we fans are out there.

And fwiw, Kay, LiGreca and Ruocco will talk soccer once in a while on ESPN NY radio.

Let 'em know we're out here via email and or tweet!

I only listen to The Herd with Colin Cowherd and The Michael Kay Show. I usually just stick to podcasts for soccer though. Men In Blazers and Caught Offsides are great

Reactions: Andres Emilio Soto
Wow. You just grouped 3 things that have absolutely zero to do with each other.

Tough week, Lion?

Naw, it's been a fine week. It would have been better though if we beat the Red Bulls. I just don't understand why people/media have to bash soccer in this country. It's not like the growth and passion of soccer destroys the current fabric on America and its sport culture. If you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything.

Naw, it's been a fine week. It would have been better though if we beat the Red Bulls. I just don't understand why people/media have to bash soccer in this country. It's not like the growth and passion of soccer destroys the current fabric on America and its sport culture. If you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything.
Say whatever you want. But you've been pretty belligerent by your standards.

If it were me, no one would bat an eye. I'm just not accustomed to seeing you lash out quite so much.