Alex Ring Traded to Austin FC

ManhattanValley

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 23, 2014

Uhhh Merry Christmas, I guess? (Especially if you're James Sands or Cacha)

Pros: We have a ton of other CMs; he was a bit of an odd man out at times last year
Cons: We're not getting much money; who's the captain now?

Pros: We have a ton of other CMs; he was a bit of an odd man out at times last year

I'd like to move this to the 2021 Roster Discussion thread where it's already being talked about. Would you mind if I move it? Like for okay ManhattanValley ManhattanValley.

Reactions: Kjbert and danger

As much as I hate to see Ring go, I think this makes sense considering the roster makeup.

As far as captain goes, I think it would go to Chanot, with Johnson a possibility as well (but I think the captaincy goes to an outfield player).

Reactions: Kjbert
I mean, do as you please, you run the place! (Although that means the threshold for starting new threads is even higher than.....us unexpectedly trading our captain?!)
I think the thread is fine. Usually the discussion thread is for general ramblings and we’ve been pretty consistent with new threads posted for actual news and announcements.

WHAT THE FUUUUUCCCKKKKK

I mean, I'm actually fine with the trade, believe it or not. We have a lot of capable CM's and tbh, Ring isn't the best captain...

But man, am I sad. What a player he's been for us. Gonna miss ya, ringleader!

...Tinnerholm captain?

WHAT THE FUUUUUCCCKKKKK

I mean, I'm actually fine with the trade, believe it or not. We have a lot of capable CM's and tbh, Ring isn't the best captain...

But man, am I sad. What a player he's been for us. Gonna miss ya, ringleader!

...Tinnerholm captain?
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Tinnerholm as the captain type. He seems to get hot-headed often enough and I've never really seen him exhibit "captain-like" qualities on the field. I realize that's incredibly subjective and I don't have specific examples to point to, but that's just my thoughts.

Of the guys on the current roster, the ones that strike me as potential captains are Johnson, Chanot, Callens, and Maxi.

I don't think it will be Maxi as he's all but certain to be here for just one more year, and I think they will want to give the captaincy to an English speaker (which would also rule out Callens, who I think would be my last choice from those four anyways).

I think we would want the captain to be an outfield player rather than a keeper, so I think that would rule out Johnson.

Perhaps it could be a new player joining the team as mgarbowski mgarbowski pointed out on Twitter, but I find it hard to think that happens, at least immediately. Perhaps a new guy joins and is named captain midway through the year, or beginning of the 2022 season.

And then maybe if that is the case, maybe there is some benefit to Maxi being the captain this year, as moving it to a player acquired this offseason wouldn't be quite as awkward as it would be if you were removing the captaincy from a player who would still be around.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Tinnerholm as the captain type. He seems to get hot-headed often enough and I've never really seen him exhibit "captain-like" qualities on the field. I realize that's incredibly subjective and I don't have specific examples to point to, but that's just my thoughts.

Of the guys on the current roster, the ones that strike me as potential captains are Johnson, Chanot, Callens, and Maxi.

I don't think it will be Maxi as he's all but certain to be here for just one more year, and I think they will want to give the captaincy to an English speaker (which would also rule out Callens, who I think would be my last choice from those four anyways).

I think we would want the captain to be an outfield player rather than a keeper, so I think that would rule out Johnson.

Perhaps it could be a new player joining the team as mgarbowski mgarbowski pointed out on Twitter, but I find it hard to think that happens, at least immediately. Perhaps a new guy joins and is named captain midway through the year, or beginning of the 2022 season.

And then maybe if that is the case, maybe there is some benefit to Maxi being the captain this year, as moving it to a player acquired this offseason wouldn't be quite as awkward as it would be if you were removing the captaincy from a player who would still be around.
I think Johnson would be a great pick.

...What if we bring back Amagat? Great captain

thumb.aspx

Too soon?

Claudio: "Alex Ring, now that's someone you build a team around."

Guess he learned from his past mistakes.

Sad to see him go but this is the right move IF they follow it up by using the money well, and/or Sands stays or Cacha solidifies (I think Cacha will solidify with more minutes. He has excellent passing vision. He certainly doesn't cough up more bad balls than Ring, but lacks Ring's bite and sometime seesm to lose concentration on D).

CDM is not a good place for this team to be spending a lot of $$ when we have Sands and Cacha. Ring is also coming off knee surgery.

Obviously Claudio likes him and they need a core leader like that in their first season.

Which is funny because the time I got to meet Claudio at a team Meet and Greet a couple of years ago, Ring was out on yellow accumulation. I remarked that the refs targeted him and Claudio just said something along the lines of "naahh, he's got to learn to control himself and stop hacking so much" which was both refeshingly candid and shockingly out of school, considering I was a complete stranger.

I'll miss Ring but we have other, more pressing needs.

It would sting less if I had faith in the suits wisely spending the money.

David Lee seems like a smart guy, and nothing he's done this year has given me any other though. Now if you're concerned the team won't give him what he needs, then that's a different conversation. But I think that is being misinterpreted. Mitrita didn't work, but he was one of the highest incoming transfer fees in league history when they signed him. They have been willing to spend in the past.

Reactions: Kjbert and danger
I'd like to move this to the 2021 Roster Discussion thread where it's already being talked about. Would you mind if I move it? Like for okay ManhattanValley ManhattanValley.
As much as i was down on him this season and this news elates me, I do think he was important enough to warrant his own thread. What he was for us in the past earns him a small bit of respect.