Allen Chapman is Crap - Let's Discuss Why

Gotham Gator

Registered
Donor
Feb 9, 2015
Bronxville, NY
Let's discuss all the utterly horrible and even moderately questionable calls he blew in yesterday's game. And, let's be fair and point out any that went in our favor (assuming there were any).

- First Yellow on Herrera
- Second Yellow on Herrera (actually didn't find this one too outrageous)
- No penalty call in Herrera's favor
- Villa thrown down by blow to the head, no card
- Yellow card to Johnson for time wasting when he couldn't even get the ball for a goal kick
- Numerous examples of opportunistic Chicago fouls not getting carded

Let's discuss all the utterly horrible and even moderately questionable calls he blew in yesterday's game. And, let's be fair and point out any that went in our favor (assuming there were any).

- First Yellow on Herrera
- Second Yellow on Herrera (actually didn't find this one too outrageous)
- No penalty call in Herrera's favor
- Villa thrown down by blow to the head, no card
- Yellow card to Johnson for time wasting when he couldn't even get the ball for a goal kick
- Numerous examples of opportunistic Chicago fouls not getting carded
Agree with all, but Johnson did not officially get a yellow card. I'm not sure what that was all about.

Agree with all, but Johnson did not officially get a yellow card. I'm not sure what that was all about.
The big screen showed him getting the yellow - there was definitely something "going on" with it being switched.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Also, what about the free kick at the top of the box that really looked like it was in the box (or you could have made a strong case it was?)

Should have been a PK, especially if Chapman knows he blew the earlier call and was looking for a makeup. But instead he calls it right on the line. Douche.

Also, what about the free kick at the top of the box that really looked like it was in the box (or you could have made a strong case it was?)

Should have been a PK, especially if Chapman knows he blew the earlier call and was looking for a makeup. But instead he calls it right on the line. Douche.

He and the ball were in the box. We got screwed.

We can expand to this PRO Referees are Crap because there are so many incidents every game. This game just had a large number of big incidents to talk about.

Since Mike Petke has single frames to talk about, here's one we're not discussing yet that should be...

Joao Meira, already on a yellow, chests the ball backwards and then kicks it. After getting the ball, his foot, studs completely showing, go through and hit David Villa directly in the shin. As I've heard all the time, even if you get the ball, you're still responsible for your challenge. No foul called. How is this not a straight red? Or even a yellow?

If you recored the game or have MLS Live, go to 92:32. I tried to upload a video here, but I couldn't.

Gif: https://giphy.com/gifs/ldgMOAyHtlTZm/html5

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 2.03.45 PM.png

You're correct - winning the ball does not override any fouls derived during (i.e. two foot scissor tackle or studs up). Both are called as the intent to injure outweighs the winning of the ball.

I checked the boxscore and SJ was not listed with a card. He definitely got a yellow during the game - something fishy going on here.
He absolutely got shown one in the game. I was miffed too after looking at the box score because I distinctly remembered we had only 2 less fouls than cards when I looked at the scoreboard late in the game.

As I said in the other thread, this was as egregriously one-sided cheating as I've ever seen. Chicago should have had 4 more yellows handed out given how they were chopping us down in good spots all the time. Shit-for-brains in the yellow shirt would just point his stupid hand like "got the ball". Fuck you, you dumbass. No. Not every time. Not at all, actually.

It's an embarrassment to the game when EVERYONE has the same view on how poor the refs were. Cards flying for really ticky tack plays and then players getting absolutely leveled without so much as a blink. Just awful.

Reactions: Ulrich
When the game thread on r/MLS is arguing in favor of NYCFC, you know it was bad.

The first yellow on Herrera was ridiculous. In the 8th minute, on his first foul. No way was the foul egregious enough to earn that yellow.

So in the span of 4 minutes you have denied a guy a clear cut PK and given him a harsh yellow. Really the ref couldn't give him a break on the 2nd yellow?

I will say the 2nd yellow was more deserved. And Herrera definitely deserves some of the blame, for both going in on the tackle the way he did, and then mouthing off about it. Although, thought it was interesting that watching it, I had originally thought the second yellow was for dissent. Thought it looked like Chapman started to walk away, Herrera kept talking, so Chapman went back and pulled out that 2nd yellow. That was the way Ian Joy saw it as well. But the MLS box score says it was for "unsporting behavior"

And if Chapman is going to call the game that strictly against NYC, okay, call it just as strictly against Chicago. The fact that Villa was only "fouled" 3 times in that game is crazy. Felt like he was constantly getting pulled on or manhandled. And I know he goes down easily, more so in a situation like yesterday, but still

Anyone have a video of Villa getting absolutely levelled by their keeper, inside the box, after Villa had just headed the ball down for a layoff?

Nothing was called because... keepers should be allowed to do whatever they want?

In case anyone is interested, Borg only reviewed four plays from the game on MLS instant replay, his decisions were:

-Herrera foul in box: PK
-Herreras two fouls: both yellows "Chapman got it absolutely right"
-Meira's kicking foul on Villa: Straight red

No mention of any of the others (especially Maxi's take down in the box).

Reactions: Christopher Jee
In case anyone is interested, Borg only reviewed four plays from the game on MLS instant replay, his decisions were:

He said Meira deserved a second yellow for the foul on Villa that wasn't even a whistle. Simon Borg is an MLS LLC robot. Never listen to him regarding referee calls.

Reactions: JGarrettLieb
He said Meira deserved a second yellow for the foul on Villa that wasn't even a whistle. Simon Borg is an MLS LLC robot. Never listen to him regarding referee calls.

You are right, second yellow, not straight red. Borg is a blowhard who loves to be controversial and the sound of his own voice. He just wants to rile people up.

So the two decisions that were called stand, and two calls that would have leveled the playing field and given us a nearly certain goal/lead were deemed wrong. missing a PK and a straight red in the same game for the same team should get Chapman suspended or fired.