mgarbowski

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 16, 2014
Queens, NY
mgarbowski.com

This tradition dates to a game played in 1199. The game is now known as Medieval football, aka mob football, folk football, and Shrovetide football. The rules have varied but generally involved a ball, numerous participants, and trying either to get possession of the ball and/or carry it over a marker, and/or kicking it into a balcony. It basically has some form of all the elements of modern soccer, rugby, and American, Canadian, Gaelic and Australian football variants.

The next time someone says "hand egg," or "how come you call it football when you use your hands," you can point to these videos. They've been calling this football for 800 years.

Last edited:

This tradition dates to a game played in 1199. The game is now known as Medieval football, aka mob football, folk football, and Shrovetide football. The rules have varied but generally involved a ball, numerous participants, and trying either to get possession of the ball and/or carry it over a marker, and/or kicking it into a balcony. It basically has some form of all the elements of modern soccer, rugby, and American, Gaelic and Australian football variants.

The next time someone says "hand egg," or "how come you call it football when you use your hands," you can point to these videos. They've been calling this football for 800 years.
LMAO I love this. An entire small town getting together to kick each others' asses. I wonder if people use this to settle scores with fellow townspeople who have pissed them off, then go have a few pints afterwards. Or if they do indeed hate each other and this is a weekly happening?

Today is Shrove Tuesday to here's a 30 minute documentary about the 800 year tradition of Atherton mob football.

Woolworth's saved the tradition in 1960.
I've watched as far as the "funny" anecdote about electrocuting opponents. Great sport!!

But I guess the real question is are you an up'ard or a down'ard?

ETA: Just finished doc. Very fun watch.

Last edited:
Obi Wan Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

But seriously that was way too aggressive to be a fucking game

• Wow
Reactions: Shwafta