Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
NYCFC at Chicago Fire
Saturday 8:30 PM, YES, WFAN (Online) & WADO
Streaming on FOX Sports GO or MLS Live (if not in the NY Market)

There's already news popping up about this game, so I'm throwing up this thread early. With Chicago's pace and NYCFC speedy wingers, it will be break fast game (pun).

Important game in the Eastern Conference playoff picture, and our toughest remaining game on the schedule.

Injuries are a talking point for Chicago, they play tonight (Wednesday) in San Jose at 10:30 PM. So we'll both be coming off a midweek away game.

Last edited:
Lewis - Villa - Harrison
Maxi - Ring - Herrera
Sweat - Callens - Brillant - White
Johnson

Chicago Fire v New York City FC
Toyota Park (8:30PM ET)
REF: JOSE CARLOS RIVERO
AR1: Andrew Bigelow
AR2: Brian Poeschel
4TH: Mark Kadlecik
VAR: Christopher Penso

Jose Carlos Rivero previously refereed our 2-0 win at Philadelphia, featuring David Villa's midfield chip. 3 yellow cards shown (2-NYC, 1-PHI). No penalties during that game and no clear errors recalled.

EDIT: Thank you Seven Seven David Villa's shot hit Marquez' arm as he went to ground and made his body bigger. This was pre-VAR days. Still, missed penalty.

Last edited:
Chicago Fire v New York City FC
Toyota Park (8:30PM ET)
REF: JOSE CARLOS RIVERO
AR1: Andrew Bigelow
AR2: Brian Poeschel
4TH: Mark Kadlecik
VAR: Christopher Penso

Jose Carlos Rivero previously refereed our 2-0 win at Philadelphia, featuring David Villa's midfield chip. 3 yellow cards shown (2-NYC, 1-PHI). No penalties during that game and no clear errors recalled.
He missed a handball PK. Villa shot the ball and Marquez went to ground and stopped the shot with his arm. Also missed Bedoya stomping Villa

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Lewis - Villa - Harrison
Maxi - Ring - Herrera
Mata - Callens - Brillant - Struna
Johnson

Could maybe go Wallace for Lewis, but I remember well how dangerous Lewis and Villa were against Chicago last time. Sweat will be fine if Mata isn't fit. Mata is so much quicker on the ball.

Lewis - Villa - Harrison
Maxi - Ring - Herrera
Johnson

Could maybe go Wallace for Lewis, but I remember well how dangerous Lewis and Villa were against Chicago last time. Sweat will be fine if Mata isn't fit. Mata is so much quicker on the ball.

Matarrita is fine. So says Glenn Crooks. He came out because he was gassed.

Lewis - Villa - Harrison
Maxi - Ring - Herrera
Johnson

I would love to see that starting XI

When we're healthy we have one of the best teams in the league. Our bench was our starting lineup for the better part of a month:

Sweat, White, TMac, Wallace, Shelton, Lopez, Pirlo

Lewis - Villa - Harrison
Maxi - Ring - Herrera
Johnson

Exactly with you on this. The only switch from that XI I would be ok with is Wallace for Lewis, but I think I prefer the fresh legs of Lewis in this one.

What I find interesting now that we are getting guys back healthy again, is what does our bench look like?

Johansen, Pirlo, TMac, White, Sweat, Wallace, Shelton or Okoli?

Reactions: Kjbert
Exactly with you on this. The only switch from that XI I would be ok with is Wallace for Lewis, but I think I prefer the fresh legs of Lewis in this one.

What I find interesting now that we are getting guys back healthy again, is what does our bench look like?

Johansen, Pirlo, TMac, White, Sweat, Wallace, Shelton or Okoli?

better Pirlo or Okoli? Seriously, I understand we owe some reverence to his storied career but is there any circumstance at all where we can envision wanting to sub Pirlo in? If there isn't, then lets keep him off the 18. Sorry. But that's just fair.

Chicago roasted San Jose last night. This is going to be a tough one. They are getting people back from injury and looking like they did over the summer.

Chicago roasted San Jose last night. This is going to be a tough one. They are getting people back from injury and looking like they did over the summer.
Getting Vincent and Polster back from injury was big for them. They won't be playing Harrington on the back line for this one (unfortunately). And Accam will be well rested having not played last night.

But, hopefully, we will also be playing with 11 men for the whole match

I really don't fear this team. Nothing they do is relatively exciting, and if i'm truthful, the only player that gives us fits based on his style is Accam. Quality player.

Getting Vincent and Polster back from injury was big for them. They won't be playing Harrington on the back line for this one (unfortunately). And Accam will be well rested having not played last night.

But, hopefully, we will also be playing with 11 men for the whole match

Midfield will be key. They spread you out and pass around you. Need to disrupt in the MF. Herrera and Ring need to start and play well.

Midfield will be key. They spread you out and pass around you. Need to disrupt in the MF. Herrera and Ring need to start and play well.

We only had Herrera for 12 minutes vs. Chicago. If we are on our game, I see us winning this. However, Chicago has been really good at home. 0.8 GAA.

To stay alive in supporter shield this is a must win. To keep hopes of second place alive this is a must win.
This is a must win.
I think most of us believe this team, full healthy, can beat anyone is this league. This is a great chance to test that.

(Other then Chanot still being out)

We only had Herrera for 12 minutes vs. Chicago. If we are on our game, I see us winning this. However, Chicago has been really good at home. 0.8 GAA.
If there is a soccer god, I'd hope karma would play out and give us a man advantage for 78min for this match.

I think most of us believe this team, full healthy, can beat anyone is this league. This is a great chance to test that.

(Other then Chanot still being out)

Can? Yes. But I've seen enough of Toronto to confidently say they are the best team in the league.

Atlanta is interesting right now. They're playing home games against crappy competition.

Reactions: The Toe
Can? Yes. But I've seen enough of Toronto to confidently say they are the best team in the league.

Atlanta is interesting right now. They're playing home games against crappy competition.
The only reason we got steamrolled by Atl last game was Callens got rattled not realizing Pro refs are worse than CONCACAF refs and they won't call typical shit fouls. Since that game, Callens' play has adapted to the bumping (unlike Pirlo) and he rides challenges through. So with that said, the key to ATL is having our D only bend while frustrating their forwards - I don't think ATL's defense matches as well if we have our full midfield/forwards healthy and playing. My big question mark for us is whether Brillant is mobile enough to deal with their onslaught of pace; he's held up far better this year than last season.

Edit: they still scare the hell out of me, but our top 11 is better than theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.