Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
FC Dallas vs. New York City Football Club
Toyota Stadium
Sunday, September 22nd 6:00 PM ET
Unimas, Twitter

The last first game of a three game week this season. This one will be hot.

Reactions: Victors87
HALL OF FAME GAME!!! (seriously, that's what they are calling it this week. It's part of a the HOF induction ceremony)

No card news to report, anyone who's healthy will play. Ring & Taty still in danger. No one up for a reduction. Callens got his first card since week 3 last week. This is the first time I have the whole season in the chart.

Screenshot 2019-09-17 10.43.57.png

HALL OF FAME GAME!!! (seriously, that's what they are calling it this week. It's part of a the HOF induction ceremony)

No card news to report, anyone who's healthy will play. Ring & Taty still in danger. No one up for a reduction. Callens got his first card since week 3 last week. This is the first time I have the whole season in the chart.

View attachment 10259

Shouldn't Sean Johnson be at 4 Yellow Cards (based on the table presented with him accumulating 5 and only reduction during the season) and in danger? (Unfortunately goalkeepers don't have yellow cards on their game log so it's harder to track).

And here's a good point, is everyone's possible reductions reset due to the mass confrontation fine?

Effectively Ring, Taty, and Sean can't receive a reduction since there are only 4 games remaining in the season and for clarity purposes heading into the playoffs:

• A player who reaches an accumulation threshold in the last MLS Regular Season match (e.g. Fifth, Eighth, etc.) IS ELIGIBLE for the Playoffs and IS ELIGIBLE for the first Regular Season match of the following season.
  • A player who receives a straight red card or second yellow card (thus a red card) in his last MLS Regular Season match IS SUSPENDED for the next match for which he is eligible including a Playoff match(es) or the first Regular Season match of the following season.
  • A player sanctioned by the Disciplinary Committee will have any corresponding suspension applied to the next match(es) for which he is eligible including a Playoff match(es) or the next Regular Season match(es).

Last edited:
Reactions: adam
sounds to me like ring and taty are walking on thin ice. 4 games left and we need them for all 4, ring especially as he brings a special quality to our midfield.

would suck if ring is out vs atlanta cause he really gets up for big games and we'll need his presence in the midfield vs them.

kinda hoping Dome plays a rotated lineup vs Dallas to give Ring and taty a rest. play them against ATL. even if they get yellows, they're out vs the Revs.. but by then, it's possible we could have 1st place locked down already. and if not, we'd have them rested for the big decision day game vs PHL.

Sadly, though, our game is on Sunday. National Weather Service hourly forecast says temp of 90 with heat index of 97 at kickoff.

Which is why I hate MLS scheduling.

Atlanta playing early afternoon on Saturday in an air-conditioned stadium. It's a 2 hour flight to NYC for Wednesday's match.

NYCFC playing late afternoon on Sunday in the sweltering heat of Texas. It's a 4 hour flight to NYC for Wednesday's match. (We're definitely using a charter for this one).

Atlanta will have the upper hand.

sounds to me like ring and taty are walking on thin ice. 4 games left and we need them for all 4, ring especially as he brings a special quality to our midfield.

would suck if ring is out vs atlanta cause he really gets up for big games and we'll need his presence in the midfield vs them.

kinda hoping Dome plays a rotated lineup vs Dallas to give Ring and taty a rest. play them against ATL. even if they get yellows, they're out vs the Revs.. but by then, it's possible we could have 1st place locked down already. and if not, we'd have them rested for the big decision day game vs PHL.
I've been thinking about this. I think we just need to play these guys. All of these last 4 games are tough and important, so there is no good time for someone to sit out.

Plus, remember that the cost of the suspension is that the player misses a game If we sit someone because they are on a suspension, then we are taking the cost of the suspension (i.e. the guy is out for a game), without eliminating the possibility that he will pick up a card and get suspended anyway.

I do think that Dome should take out Taty and Ring early if the circumstances allow to foreclose the possibility that they get a late card once the game is in hand.

Plus, remember that the cost of the suspension is that the player misses a game If we sit someone because they are on a suspension, then we are taking the cost of the suspension (i.e. the guy is out for a game), without eliminating the possibility that he will pick up a card and get suspended anyway.
So much this. I just wrote about 400 words on why the Atlanta game is the key to the season, but with 4 games left you have to try to win each one as it comes with the best players available. You can sit someone against Dallas, then if he gets a yellow he misses another game, maybe New England, maybe Philadelphia. And with no guarantee that we beat Atlanta even at home and even with our best 11 (minus Heber) we have to plan for the possibility we just need every possible point no matter what game it comes from.

Which is why I hate MLS scheduling.

Atlanta playing early afternoon on Saturday in an air-conditioned stadium. It's a 2 hour flight to NYC for Wednesday's match.

NYCFC playing late afternoon on Sunday in the sweltering heat of Texas. It's a 4 hour flight to NYC for Wednesday's match. (We're definitely using a charter for this one).

Atlanta will have the upper hand.
I think you're reaching a bit on this. Sure maybe that travel schedule benefits Atlanta a bit, but I doubt it could be anything egregious.

I mean, we can also spin it this way.

We have the upper hand at Dallas this week since Dallas is playing tomorrow night at Seattle.

We have the upper hand home against Atlanta since (even though your example above), they have a midweek game this week and in essence, their game against us will be their 4th in 11 days whereas we will have had 3 in that span.

We have the upper hand at the Revolution since when we play them the following Saturday, they will be traveling back from a midweek game at Portland late Wednesday night whereas we will have shorter travel from our home game earlier in the evening on Wednesday.

So much this. I just wrote about 400 words on why the Atlanta game is the key to the season, but with 4 games left you have to try to win each one as it comes with the best players available. You can sit someone against Dallas, then if he gets a yellow he misses another game, maybe New England, maybe Philadelphia. And with no guarantee that we beat Atlanta even at home and even with our best 11 (minus Heber) we have to plan for the possibility we just need every possible point no matter what game it comes from.

While I agree with the need to get as many points as possible - having our guys available for the playoffs is important to. I just worry that Ring will get injury due to fatigue. He's always playing with kinetic tape on his knee already.

I think if there's any game where we can rotate players it's this one. Dallas is coming off a 4-0 loss and isn't in good form right now. out of the last 4 games, this is by far our easiest. I understand the argument then is that we should ensure we get 3 points. but i would hate to hear we're losing guys due to fatigue injuries for PHL and the playoffs. in the end its a judgment call and comes down to how the players feel themselves, which we don't know anything about.

Sadly, though, our game is on Sunday. National Weather Service hourly forecast says temp of 90 with heat index of 97 at kickoff.
Oops! My Dark Sky app still says upper 80s, but I forgot to check the "Feels Like". I mean, it shouldn't be anything new as most of the summer games in NYC are in the mid-lower 90s anyways. Hopefully they haven't conditioned out of it.

I think if there's any game where we can rotate players it's this one. Dallas is coming off a 4-0 loss and isn't in good form right now. out of the last 4 games, this is by far our easiest. I understand the argument then is that we should ensure we get 3 points. but i would hate to hear we're losing guys due to fatigue injuries for PHL and the playoffs. in the end its a judgment call and comes down to how the players feel themselves, which we don't know anything about.
Yes, Dallas is coming off a 4-0 loss, but they are atrocious on the road. Whereas they've only lost once this whole season at home. I don't think this is as easy of a game as you're making it out to be.

ETA: For further context, NYCFC has played 4 games on the road against teams with 3 or fewer losses at home. We have won 0 of those, drew twice, and lost twice (Minnesota, Chicago, Atlanta, RSL)

Reactions: adam
While I agree with the need to get as many points as possible - having our guys available for the playoffs is important to. I just worry that Ring will get injury due to fatigue. He's always playing with kinetic tape on his knee already.

Fatigue is a different analysis than strategic YC resting, and fatigue possibly causing injury is yet a different animal. But my general approach is the same. If a guy needs to rest you rest him. But I would not rest someone now because he might need rest 1 or 2 games later. And if you know a guy needs to rest in the next 4 games and can be flexible, I would pick New England. They are starting to slip while Dallas -- at home -- has not. And the biggest potential rest is having 2 weeks off before the second round of the playoffs, and you get that by coming in first place. But if the physio team says he's in rough shape and injury risk is multiplied, you do what you need to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.