Ballon D'or 2015 Finalists Announced 11/30/15

CatNYC

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 1, 2014
http://www.fifa.com/ballon-dor/news...735884.html?intcmp=fifacom_hp_module_news_top

No surprises that Messi and Ronaldo are in the top three along with Neymar. It's Neymar's first time being included in the final three. I'm predicting Messi to win.

Coach of the Year men's finalists are Luis Enrique, Pep Guardiola and Jorge Sampaoli. It has to be between Enrique and Sampaoli. Enrique led Barca to the treble and Sampaoli led Chile on to win Copa America. I'm rooting for Enrique but I won't be too upset if Sampaoli wins.

The USA is nicely represented in the women's catagory with Carli Lloyd one of the Ballon d"Or finalists and Jill Ellis shortlisted for the Coach of the Year award. Very exciting!!!

Puskás award nominees are Messi, Florenzi and Lira.

Award ceremony takes place Monday, Jan 11, 2016.

ETA: I don't like that my title was auto corrected from Ballon d'Or to Ballon D'or! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: JayH and FootyLovin
Does anyone else find it oddly suspicious that messi and Ronaldo are always finalists for the award? Don't get me wrong, they are both outstanding players, but I find it strange that it's always them.

Does anyone else find it oddly suspicious that messi and Ronaldo are always finalists for the award? Don't get me wrong, they are both outstanding players, but I find it strange that it's always them.
One could view this two ways.

1. This is proof the system is corrupt!! It's always the same two guys. They disregard other players/leagues/ethnicities/blah blah blah.

2. This is proof the system is for real!! They don't nominate lesser players just to move the award around. They stick with the best!

Your choice depends on your worldview. As for me, I think those two are pretty damn good players to have on the ballot every single year.

Reactions: CatNYC and Z4CH3B99
2015 Ballon d'Or ceremony just finished up. Here are the winners:

Ballon d'Or - For the 5th time the amazing LIONEL MESSI

Women’s World Player of the Year - Carlie Lloyd (USA/Houston Dash)

Men’s World Coach - Luis Enrique (Spain/FC Barcelona)

Women’s World Coach - Jill Ellis (USA/USA Women's National Team)

Puskas Award (best goal) - Wendell Lira (Brazil/Goianesia)

FiFPro World XI*
Manuel Neuer (Germany/Bayern Munich)
Thiago Silva (Brazil/Paris Saint-Germain)
Marcelo (Brazil/Real Madrid)
Sergio Ramos (Spain/Real Madrid)
Dani Alves (Brazil/Barcelona)
Andres Iniesta (Spain/Barcelona)
Luka Modric (Croatia/Real Madrid)
Paul Pogba (France/Juventus)
Neymar (Brazil/Barcelona)
Lionel Messi (Argentina/Barcelona)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal/Real Madrid)

*4 of these players are Brazilian, and 8 of them play for top Spanish clubs. Yea, I’m totally biased and very proud!

Last edited:
Reactions: FootyLovin