Can we please do away with results in random threads?

Midas Mulligan

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 29, 2014
NYC
I would like to suggest we not mention particular extremely recent match scores or outcomes for other games unless it is cloaked via spoiler tag.

I hate reading a thread about our team and seeing s score for a game I have queued up on my MLS live. It is pretty common practice to not reveal results on soccer boards given the year round, all times of day nature of the seasons in various leagues, so let's please try to make it convention here.

If you want a thread that reveals other team results as germane, we should put a tag like the big soccer [R] in the thread title. If that isn't there, don't post results without a spoiler tag.

Just a general recommendation to not ruin people's tv plans.

[ Spoiler ] Insert Result [ / Spoiler ]
Remove the spaces within the tags. Posting because i'm not sure where to find it and don't see a button for it in the toolbar.
Insert Result

[ Spoiler ] Insert Result [ / Spoiler ]
Remove the spaces within the tags. Posting because i'm not sure where to find it and don't see a button for it in the toolbar.
Insert Result

Is the button to the right of the media button (media button is the one that looks like a film role). It will save you some typing.

I do think that the MLS weekly thread can have results. I mean what else are we talking about on there then? If we have to put an [R] next to the thread title, so be it.

Is the button to the right of the media button (media button is the one that looks like a film role). It will save you some typing.

I do think that the MLS weekly thread can have results. I mean what else are we talking about on there then? If we have to put an [R] next to the thread title, so be it.

Hmmm I found it. But it does not seem to work properly. Or at least I can't see it on chrome. Does anyone see the spoiler tag below?

I agree
you mangy ****.:D:D:D:eek:;):handfist::beercheers:
That's not really random. That one falls into the category of willfully exposing one's self to the scores by its nature. Tagging there would be unnecessary. It's more surfing about our section and seeing fresh scores that is annoying.

Works for me.

snugglefarts snugglefarts I didn't even see who it was, but if you were the one who screencapped the TFC score in our hope by the numbers thread, then yes, you were my muse.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam
if you were the one who screencapped the TFC score in our hope by the numbers thread, then yes, you were my muse.
While I agree in general, I kind of think hope by the numbers is a place I also expect to find chatter about winners and losers. Especially if the game in question concerns the team hottest on our tail. I'd love to take the spoilers out of unconnected threads, but a rival picking up three points seems directly related to our playoff conversation.

Now when it pops up in Stadium Discussion, that pisses me off.

so this is for results that already happened for other MLS teams? lol what? if i remember ill do it.

While I agree in general, I kind of think hope by the numbers is a place I also expect to find chatter about winners and losers. Especially if the game in question concerns the team hottest on our tail. I'd love to take the spoilers out of unconnected threads, but a rival picking up three points seems directly related to our playoff conversation.
That's a tough one, because for forum members who don't keep up with every thread in real time (shocking, I know), that's a thread where you might expect you can visit once a week and get a full roundup, maybe without spoilers for current games.
My practice is to put my big weekly post up as soon as I can, which in the best circumstances might be 20-30 minutes after the last East Conference result comes in. Everything is fair game then IMO and if you want to avoid seeing results stay away until you're caught up. But until the final EC game is over I usually try to avoid discussing partial results and put that in the MLS Week __ thread. I'm also sure I've violated that at some point, or two. And even though it's not that complicated it's probably more complex than any norm we could enforce as a community. So bottom line I think that thread is at your own risk.
Also, we don't always have a MLS Week __ thread, but unlike the NYCFC Game threads, which are in a moderated forum section, nothing prevents any one of us from starting one.

Now when it pops up in Stadium Discussion, that pisses me off.
That's where a spoiler tag would make sense. I agree generally, but if you're posting very recent results, I'd rather have the option of not viewing it. It happens easily when you're reading posts from the afternoon and then BAM, out of nowhere a score of a game that literally just happened. That's how it gets you. And you can't un-see it.

Reactions: Ulrich