Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
Semifinals, Leg 1
Seattle Sounders FC vs. New York City FC
Wednesday, April 6 10 PM ET
Lumen Field
FS1

Who do we want?
I will make claim for Leon. First mentally the team is not pressured to go thru, as it’s expected liga mx team to go thru.
Second I know they won’t play the press, it’s pretty rare I feel that liga mx teams do that.

seattle has that long travel, turf, and honestly probably know how to play vs nycfc

Reactions: Victors87
Who do we want?
I will make claim for Leon. First mentally the team is not pressured to go thru, as it’s expected liga mx team to go thru.
Second I know they won’t play the press, it’s pretty rare I feel that liga mx teams do that.

seattle has that long travel, turf, and honestly probably know how to play vs nycfc
I’ll say Seattle simply for the fact that NYCFC’s home leg will actually be a home game than if it was Leon

I'm going with Seattle for a couple reasons. #1 - If Seattle advances past Leon it means an MLS club is guaranteed to get to the final. #2 - I'd like some sort of home field advantage whether we play in East Hartford or RBA. #3 - I think it's harder to win away in Mexico than it is in Seattle.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
Who do we want?

Leon. They got absolutely pasted by Seattle in the first leg and are probably the worse team.

Reactions: Kjbert
i would prefer we play seattle. Leon is also at high elevation and based on last night, I would prefer we didn't have to deal with that again.

I'd be ok with playing Leon though. It is CCL and playing international teams is what it's all about. Leon are also not that bad of a team. They just played really poorly against seattle. I'd be surprised if seattle dominate them again in Leon.

I wonder what the playing time strategy will be for the Toronto game a few days before. After a break, it's important to get the starters back in rhythm, but it's still a quick turnaround and the first leg is one of our most important games in our history. I may play our best starting XI and then heavily sub before 60 regardless of the impact on the result.

I wonder what the playing time strategy will be for the Toronto game a few days before. After a break, it's important to get the starters back in rhythm, but it's still a quick turnaround and the first leg is one of our most important games in our history. I may play our best starting XI and then heavily sub before 60 regardless of the impact on the result.
Not all 4 subs at once though

Reactions: JayH
Third Rail has a room block for this match if anyone is interested in traveling. There's a convention during the week which is why prices are higher than normal. But still $199 a night + fees/taxes is a good deal for the location in Pioneer Square (same name, different city where we partied with the MLS Cup), which is near the stadium.

yep. They looked really good and Lodeiro and Ruidiaz are coming back. Don’t expect anyone to give NYCFC a chance in this game.

(But we should be concerned looking at current form of both teams.) NYCFC can’t let a 3-0 loss hit them in the away leg, need to keep it close for the return leg.

yep. They looked really good and Lodeiro and Ruidiaz are coming back. Don’t expect anyone to give NYCFC a chance in this game.

(But we should be concerned looking at current form of both teams.) NYCFC can’t let a 3-0 loss hit them in the away leg, need to keep it close for the return leg.

Certainly seems like Seattle is the better team and playing better right now. Anything can happen, but we're clear underdogs.

I hope we can break our current form and keep this game close. From what I've watched, Seattle are playing better than we are and getting results. I hope that we can use the possession we have wisely, create some chances and convert them. I am afraid that Seattle may take advantage of our shaky back line and get an advantage that we might not be able to overcome in the game at RBA. The Sounders having Ruidiaz and Lodeiro back does not make me feel good.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
I hope we can break our current form and keep this game close. From what I've watched, Seattle are playing better than we are and getting results. I hope that we can use the possession we have wisely, create some chances and convert them. I am afraid that Seattle may take advantage of our shaky back line and get an advantage that we might not be able to overcome in the game at RBA. The Sounders having Ruidiaz and Lodeiro back does not make me feel good.

i think if we have malte and gray back.. with chanot/callens combo, our back line will look a lot better. the focus will be in the midfield and we'll need big games out of parks/morales. do that and we can control the game. jao paolo is a machine and along with lodeiro it's gonna be tough.. we need to win the midfield matchups.

that aside, we absolutely need to finish the chances we create because we might not be able to create that much.

either way, as long as the boys show good fight, i'll be happy. limit the mistakes and i think we have a good chance to advance. defensive mistakes and giving the ball away cheaply in our defensive third have been killing us so far. Punished more in league play than CCL, but it's happening in both.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
extra time preview

first link, review of our play so far

second link, preview of how we'll matchup vs seattle.

Last edited: