Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
NYC 2
CHI 0

NYCFC finally scored multiple goals and kept a clean sheet. Clinched a playoff spot.

Honestly though I was depressed the entire game and didn’t even cheer or get happy after the goals.

Reactions: JayH
NYC 2
CHI 0

NYCFC finally scored multiple goals and kept a clean sheet. Clinched a playoff spot.

Honestly though I was depressed the entire game and didn’t even cheer or get happy after the goals.
Did you at least smile when the ball took out the entire beer of the guy in front of you all over his pants?

Did you at least smile when the ball took out the entire beer of the guy in front of you all over his pants?
giphy.gif

That guy should sue that there aren’t the be aware of bats and balls sign on the Pitchside seats.

Only items I really wanna note from this game:
  • The first goal was set up nicely by Sands
  • The lead up to the second goal was an amazing job by Tinny
  • How the hell did Schweinsteiger and McCarty not get yellows?
  • Villa should have scored 4

That was workmanlike and not pretty but at the start of the second half you could see the spark return. Nice high press, Maxi and Villa and Berget and Isi communicating and moving well off the ball, etc.

This team has not thrilled us in a while, but on the other side it hasn’t gotten blown out since the earlier RB match. This makes them seem boring, but they don’t really ever suck the way Orlando or Toronto have at times all year. So this feels like returning to the mean.

The one thing I noted, however, was the relatively subdued reaction of the players postmatch. They didn’t seem to have that esprit that the showed earlier this year after victories. That concerns me and makes me wonder if there isn’t more going on behind the scenes than we really know.

Sorry about the Postmatch. Made it to the end of the game and passed out. Been awake since 3am and have to work again same time. Thank god I just woke up with a throbbing (cute word) bladder otherwise my phone would not have survived to wake me up. Had to stream that one

Something I noticed and mentioned to people around me was that usually by about ~0:45 left on the halftime clock the team is back out warming up for the second half. This time they were at least a minute or so late. I think something happened in that meeting because it went extra time, and then the second half we started playing back like we used to. (Save for some errors here and there, we were very good in the second half.) Isi was dribbling through midfielders like butter, Tinnerholm was doing Tinny stuff... Heck, Ring even scored a goal.

Points I'd like to note I noticed throughout the game:
- YS is ready for Yankees postseason. Not NYCFC postseason.
- Amagat actually had some nice moments today, but like I noted in the shoutbox before the game, his first touch failed him multiple times.
- Sands was tremendous in that midfield!
- Berget/Villa linkup was nice to see again, but I thought Berget should have straight-up replaced Villa and that would have been better.
- Schweiny was invisible tonight, shame bc I was excited to see him.
- How is Paunovic still a thing?

Amazing what the team can do when it plays through the middle and not uselessly wide. It is almost as if it's what this team is best at... Same we lose Villa next match, but he has a long time to heal.

Reactions: Shwafta and Jock
Good time.

We were pretty lackluster and moving poorly for a lot of the game, first half in particular, and it could have been another one of those games where we shoot umpteen times and never score.

But it wasn't. And it didn't rain. And Sands is a champ. And we're in the playoffs, which is...... fine.

That was workmanlike and not pretty but at the start of the second half you could see the spark return. Nice high press, Maxi and Villa and Berget and Isi communicating and moving well off the ball, etc.

This team has not thrilled us in a while, but on the other side it hasn’t gotten blown out since the earlier RB match. This makes them seem boring, but they don’t really ever suck the way Orlando or Toronto have at times all year. So this feels like returning to the mean.

The one thing I noted, however, was the relatively subdued reaction of the players postmatch. They didn’t seem to have that esprit that the showed earlier this year after victories. That concerns me and makes me wonder if there isn’t more going on behind the scenes than we really know.
I wonder if Dome is such a football nerd that he can't understand that football nerdery isn't everybody's cup of tea. Perhaps he thinks that the sheer magnificence of his plan should be inspiring enough.

Or perhaps it's because we are out of the race for 2nd and left clinging on to 3rd. It's always easier to chase than to hold on. Even the manner in which we gave up the chase suggests that Dome doesn't really give a shit about the league, in the sense that he sacrificed momentum for a tactical crash course. If so, can we up the ante for the playoffs?

Whatever it is, I agree that there's a weird vibe.

Defend high and play fast. For all the technical tweaks and adjustments over the last 3 months, this simple statement does capture the difference between the last 55 minutes in this game and the previous 5-6 games. Except I might have stated it as play fast and vertical. We did that tonight, and I haven’t seen it for weeks, even when getting dozens and dozens of shots against DC and New England.

We're still not playing at full capacity, but it felt like the way this team plays -- that second half actually looked like NYCFC.

The past few games, every play we take it into the corner, try a fruitless cross, regain the ball, and try again.

Today you actually saw guys running lanes, slick passing (both goals had terrific ball movement) -- it just looked a lot more like the way we've seen NYCFC look in the past.

We're still not all the way there, but the players seemed a little more intuitive in that second half, like things began to click. I continue to believe there are signs they're ready to break out of this thing, and am anxious to see how they follow this up on Saturday against a Minnesota team that really can't defend.

Amazing what the team can do when it plays through the middle and not uselessly wide. It is almost as if it's what this team is best at... Same we lose Villa next match, but he has a long time to heal.
Of course we played through the middle. The ball follows our offensive qb -- Ben Sweat.

Last edited:
Even the manner in which we gave up the chase suggests that Dome doesn't really give a shit about the league, in the sense that he sacrificed momentum for a tactical crash course. If so, can we up the ante for the playoffs?
I have so many questions about this season that will never be answered. Starting with...

Were Vieira and his agent working the network for European coaching jobs that would open in the middle of our season during our 2017-2018 off-season?
As that is almost certainly a yes, did NYCFC and CFG know this, or at least suspect?
If not, why not?
If so, did they start working early on a plan to replace him?
If so, did they try to work an extension that would give us more leverage to get compensation from potential suitors?
If not, why not? That is a very standard arrangement. Team agrees it will let player leave in middle of contract if player agrees to extension that gives team greater leverage for transfer fee.
Did they discuss transition strategies with potential candidates?
Did Dome tell them he would want to blow everything up midseason with a goal to be better in the playoffs?
If so, why did they drag out the process and arrange it so Vieira stayed as long as possible?
The only way to justify getting no compensation from Nice is that Nice and Vieira agreed to have him stay through the Atlanta game even though the deal was made weeks earlier when Vieira flew to France and lied about it.
But if Dome wanted to start over with an all new system, then delaying his start makes no sense.
But if that isn't why we took no compensation from Nice, then why the hell did we get no compensation from Nice?
Or, did Dome think he could just tinker, until he got here and changed his mind?
If so, was that because he decided Vieira's system was more flawed than he realized, or because he decided the team was more capable than he thought and could handle the transition on the fly?
If so, why did he think either of those?

Last edited: