mgarbowski

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 16, 2014
Queens, NY
mgarbowski.com
For years I've been using CMD+ on Chrome on my Mac's numeric keypad to zoom in on a web page (increase magnification) and CMD- to do the opposite. Suddenly CMD+ no longer works, and I need to press CMD=. On my Windows machine, nothing changed. Also, I see no other change in the behavior of the + key on my Mac besides this Chrome quirk.

I also have a Macbook, but canno test if anything changed there because it has no numeric keypad and the + and = functions share a key on the top row.

Anyone have any thoughts?

For years I've been using CMD+ on Chrome on my Mac's numeric keypad to zoom in on a web page (increase magnification) and CMD- to do the opposite. Suddenly CMD+ no longer works, and I need to press CMD=. On my Windows machine, nothing changed. Also, I see no other change in the behavior of the + key on my Mac besides this Chrome quirk.

I also have a Macbook, but canno test if anything changed there because it has no numeric keypad and the + and = functions share a key on the top row.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I just checked to see if I could recreate the issue on my Mac. It's a bit strange CMD+ and CMD- work when I use the + or - keys in the line along the top of the main keyboard between the 0 and the delete button. If I try to replicate the same thing but I use the + or - buttons that are part of the number pad to the far right of the keyboard CMD- will work but CMD+ does not. Unfortunately, I always use the ones along the top row so I cannot say if this is new or not.

I had a pending chrome update so I applied that and it did not cause any changes. For reference, I am on up-to-date chrome and Mac Big Sur.

I just checked to see if I could recreate the issue on my Mac. It's a bit strange CMD+ and CMD- work when I use the + or - keys in the line along the top of the main keyboard between the 0 and the delete button. If I try to replicate the same thing but I use the + or - buttons that are part of the number pad to the far right of the keyboard CMD- will work but CMD+ does not. Unfortunately, I always use the ones along the top row so I cannot say if this is new or not.

I had a pending chrome update so I applied that and it did not cause any changes. For reference, I am on up-to-date chrome and Mac Big Sur.
Thanks. So that tracks my current experience. I always use the numeric keypad when it is there, so I am confident it did not act this way before a few weeks ago, and I cannot find anything on the web about it.

Thanks. So that tracks my current experience. I always use the numeric keypad when it is there, so I am confident it did not act this way before a few weeks ago, and I cannot find anything on the web about it.
Don't know why it changed. But ...
  • System preferences
  • Keyboard
  • Shortcuts tab
  • App Shortcuts from the list on the left
  • "+" button below the righthand box
  • In Menu Title enter "Zoom In"
  • In Keyboard Shortcut enter "⌘+" (make sure to use your keypad and not top row when you enter this)
  • Click add button
Voila. (At least it worked for me.)

Don't know why it changed. But ...
  • System preferences
  • Keyboard
  • Shortcuts tab
  • App Shortcuts from the list on the left
  • "+" button below the righthand box
  • In Menu Title enter "Zoom In"
  • In Keyboard Shortcut enter "⌘+" (make sure to use your keypad and not top row when you enter this)
  • Click add button
Voila. (At least it worked for me.)
Thank you. Worked.
It's cool how useful this forum has been for a decent number of issues completely unrelated to its dedicated purpose.

It's cool how useful this forum has been for a decent number of issues completely unrelated to its dedicated purpose.
Well sure, I agree, but I don't think we can fully relax about it until we're exchanging recipes on the regular.