Columbus 2nd Leg ECS - Postmatch

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Fought hard to try and make up the difference.
Personally I think PV shouldn't have made the Pirlo sub. Would it have made a difference? Maybe, maybe not. But he wasn't the right player for that point in the game. Showed it by skying 2 balls that should have been played into the box.

giphy.gif

Maxi was in stadium MOTM. FOR REAL.

Maxi missed 3 sitters. FOR REAL.

PV subbed in Pirlo. FOR REAL.

PV may need to go. FOR REAL.

If for nothing else, for the last one.

And also, for not bringing in Lewis earlier. So ignorant and inexplicable.

Last edited:
PV lost the script with those subs. Holy hell he waited forever. And all the passing back and forth in the back with minutes to go, the Columbus CBs were nervy as hell in the box - don’t know why we weren’t playing more direct????

I know that White and Sweat were more defensively sound as FBs and that might make more sense for the away leg, but everyone with a brain could see how much better we were with Struna and Mata.

Major props to our defense this game. It gotta damn nervy a couple of times, but considering we were missing both our starting CBs, to get a shutout was impressive. Did not think that was possible when the starting XI came out

I "get" the Pirlo sub because it was PV's way of saying "fuck it, we're going direct" but he sure rolled the dice on a guy with zero match sharpness and came up snake eyes.

Maddening that the subs were so late, but I could sort of see a "don't fix what ain't broke" point of view. Obviously Lewis should have come in for Wallace much earlier.

This match made me so sad for how much we missed Mata throughout the season. What a waste.

I had a really great time at the match, though. Elation, anger, acceptance, and a new Villa authentic jersey. Everything but the win.

We dug a hole and came up just short. Ring, Yangel, Sweat, Rodney, Struna and Brillant played exceptionally tonight. We could not finish- two posts. But this looked like the team that beat Chicago with 10 men. We need another finisher but the way this team knocks it around and wins balls back is a great foundation. We need a long-term solution for Villa’s inevitable decline and PV needs to manage in-match better. But all in all I feel a hell of a lot better about this season than the last two.

I’ll be rooting for Columbus the rest of the way, but I fear they will stall against Toronto. They gave us way too many opportunities in this series.

I "get" the Pirlo sub because it was PV's way of saying "fuck it, we're going direct" but he sure rolled the dice on a guy with zero match sharpness and came up snake eyes.

I had a really great time at the match, though. Elation, anger, acceptance, and a new Villa authentic jersey. Everything but the win.
Nope. Stop lying to yourself. There was no circumstance where Pirlo made sense. He has less goals than Brillant and hasn’t had an assist in a dog’s decade.

We dug a hole and came up just short. Ring, Yangel, Sweat, Rodney, String and Brillant played exceptionally tonight. We could not finish- two posts. But this looked like the team that beat Chicago with 10 men. We need another finisher but the way this team knocks it around and wins balls back is a great foundation. We need a long-term solution for Villa’s inevitable decline and PV needs to manage in-match better. But all in all I feel a hell of a lot better about this season than the last two.

I’ll be rooting for Columbus the rest of the way, but I fear they will stall against Toronto. They gave us way too many opportunities in this series.
Fuck Columbus. They played like bitches both legs. We didn’t punish them, but fuck them. They get fuck all from me.

You are right about one thing, and it’s something I’ve stood by, Wallace is a gamer. You keep him. He is a guy you need in your squad. No doubt.

Reactions: Kjbert
Wanna know what I'm not mad. I'm proud we played so hard until the end. We shouldn't have had to win 3-0 if it weren't for the Callens red card but I'm not even mad at that because this was one time he really fucked up. If it were a normal scapegoat like Sweat I'd be fucking pissed though. Speaking of Sweat he is definitely a centreback very pleasently surprised by him tonight.