Columbus - Postmatch

Falastur

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 20, 2014
Herts, UK
We did it the hard way, but then we always do. Disappointed Villa couldn't dab his way to a second hattrick, but results in the other games went our way and we finish 2nd overall and get a bye in the first round of the play-offs.

Let's hope that the team get their heads back in shape and are ready for a late play-off push...

Whew. Dodged a bullet there.

Thank god Villa showed up. Sucks that he couldn't convert that PK. How funny we finally get VAR in our favor and nothing comes of it. Probably never getting VAR again.

Was also kinda funny at the end of the game where Villa was clearly really upset with himself and then they posted the results of the Tor-Atl game and he realized we were 2nd seed. Got real excited and starting fist pumping.

Sweat had a bad game, which frustrates me even more because Mata was sitting on the bench.

Lewis also made PV look bad. He came on and immediately looked dangerous. Shelton, did he do anything positive? I remember quite a few bad touches from him, but I was looking for them, so maybe I missed something positive.

Callens overall had a great game, but he had a stretch in the 2nd half where he couldn't seem to clear the ball to save his life. And it led to us getting constantly hemmed in and the Columbus goal came soon after.

Ring is awesome. Really want him to get a goal.

Also...WE SCORED MORE THEN 1 GOAL!!!

And...WE SCORED OFF A CORNER!!!

Watching that corner goal by Columbus again and boy was Brilliant a bitch on that goal.

Reactions: roxfontaine
If we win anything, it’ll be sheer luck.

For those who require higher fidelity but less soul.

Still reeling from the hardcore Citi Field cocktails, but I enjoyed that game. Didn't seem like a penalty to me, so missing the kick after getting it from VAR is probably right.

Saw Maxime Chanot on the way in, he had a ticket and was in line like the rest of us plebs. I tried to tell him he could go in front of me, but he's a man of the people and headed to the back of the line.

Overall, happy enough to get a bye. Still think J-Lew did more in his ~4 minutes than 'Make a Wish' beneficiary Khiry Shelton did in his however many minutes on the pitch.

We had tickets for the GA, but there were no open seats, so we ended up just standing behind the seats, so that was kind of a bummer, but being home with some chicken about 30 minutes after the game means i'd be happy to see some more games in Queens.

If SJ was going to have a bad game all season I am glad nothing damaging came out of it. Because this was officially SJ first bad game with NYCFC. And he's saved our assess so many times this season that this playoff bye is because of him more than anything. So I am glad he didn't lose it for us.

What else? We'll never know what PV sees in Shelton. In barely 10 minutes Lewis had a good shot almost on goal, a couple crosses, and generally looked like an attack-minded and capable winger. Khiry looked lost, useless, embarrassing. Why isn't Mata starting if fit? It's not only that he's better than Sweat, but how much better he makes Rodney.

Finally, when you watch Higuain v Maxi you realize that Maxi shortcoming is his prudent, tentative nature. He seems to be looking to do no fault first, and if danger comes off it, great. Pipa is always looking for the most dangerous pass available. A bit disappointed in Maxi today. And why was White in instead of Struna?.

Khiry proved he’s useless.

Lewis proved Vieira is a roster asshole. In 10 minutes he did more than TMac has done in the last 4-5 matches and was more dangerous than Khiry has been all season (his goal last week was a thing of dumb luck). The kid should be starting over Wallace or first sub off the bench every match.

NYCFCfan NYCFCfan can you do some digging and confirm whether Shelton's blackmail scheme only required regular season minutes?
Something Chris M was talking about on the podcast was, "what if these are 'auditions' to raise his value for a winter transfer"

I just think he's being played out of position. He's a CAM or CF at best, not a striker or a winger.

I had to yell more today than any other game this season simply because I was farther away from the field. I brought with me headphones and a battery pack as I was watching the Toronto-Atlanta match. I jumped for joy when Giovinco nailed that free kick. Grazie Gio.

- This was the first match where the referee actually went to the video to see a replay. Finally. Clear foul on Moralez in the box. That being said, Steffen guessed well and Villa had a poorly placed penalty kick.
- Steffen is the MVP of the game for either team. Aside from that penalty save, the volley save on Villa as more impressive. Steffen, given his young age, needs to get some looks for the USMNT.
- Patrick Vieira is still abysmal with his substitutions. Khiry Shelton for Jack Harrison made no sense and Jack looked completely pissed when coming off. Khiry did nothing positive at all this game. Lewis showed brilliance on the ball and a higher soccer IQ. If Khiry is still on this team after preseason 2018, Vieira should be on a hot seat.
- Villa showed up and played like the MVP of last season. That being said, it's going to Valeri or maybe even Nikolic this season.
- Brillant with the gaming header off the line save.
- We're 0-2-0 in these "home" matches.
- The Citi Field ballboys were terrible and did control the pace of the throw ins and restarts. Terrible.

I don't like our chances in the playoffs given our results of the past two months.

Last edited:
Something Chris M was talking about on the podcast was, "what if these are 'auditions' to raise his value for a winter transfer"

I just think he's being played out of position. He's a CAM or CF at best, not a striker or a winger.

I think we'd get the most benefit from Khiry joining the concession staff and opening up another beer line.