CONCACAF Champion's League to expand format starting in 2023

Shwafta

MLS Cup Attendee
Elite Donor
Jan 16, 2018
Long Island

• 20 teams from US, CA and Mexico.
    • 4 groups of 5 teams
      • 4 total games, 2 home and 2 away (one match against each team)
    • Top two advance to knockout
    • Third place go to a playoff
    • Total 11 teams
  • 20 teams from Central America
    • 4 groups of 5 teams
    • Top two advance to playoff
    • Total 4 teams
  • 10 teams from the Caribbean
    • 2 groups of 5 teams
    • Winner advanced to playoff
    • Total 1 team

= 16 teams in the knockout.

Group stage to happen in the fall, knockout in the spring. (in line with europe)

This means group stage will align close to mls playoffs, which will be interesting to see what happens.

--------------

I think this is unfair for the Central America and Caribbean teams, but I don't know much to say anything about that.

Second, 20 teams from US, CA, and ME? that's a weird way to split it. I assume MLS will get 8, Liga MX will get 8, and CA will get 4? Or does this confirm MX-MLS merger?

Is there a quick comparison to what the tournament is now? I've watched it the past couple years but it's not immediately coming to mind what's different

Is there a quick comparison to what the tournament is now? I've watched it the past couple years but it's not immediately coming to mind what's different
Well for one, MLS teams and Mexican teams go back into the group stage. That was left out in the past few years iirc, and usually the knockout happens in like february, it seems like "Spring" = later in the year?

Also, groups of 5 teams hasn't been done from what I can tell.

Reactions: danger

it also means that the leagues cup will mean something now as it qualifies you to the CCL for the US/ Mex side ( MLS Canadian teams too i guess), at least from what is mentioned thought its not clear how many yet.

Reactions: danger and Shwafta