DC Postmatch

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
I think Medoza wins a start next week over Shelton. He has to. Shelton was very bad in the final third. Wasted crosses and lost the ball way too often. That was the difference today. We lost the ball around their box meanwhile almost every time they got near ours they threatened or got a corner out of it.
Martinez wasn't too bad in for Mata either. Really positive from him.
But that back line cost us the game today.
I do think when we finally got Mendoza on the field it opened the game up a lot. He got the ball in our own half often and found space and led the attack.
Either way we have to get it right next week.
Montreal did us a favor today.
Jersey won the east so the fight next week is for 2nd.

What this terrible performance cost us today...

- A chance to fight for 1st place in the East on Decision Day
- To clinch a bye into the Eastern Conference semifinals today
- David Villa in poll position for the Golden Boot and likely MVP award
- Vieira's spot at winning Coach of the Year
- Mataritta is injured
- Saunders is still our goalkeeper

Last edited:
I would start anyone other than Saunders in goal.

I don't care if we go out. If it comes down to us going out due to Saunders or a Connor Brandt in goal, I'd rather it be Brandt. My head might explode with rage if it is Saunders given how many chances we've had to ditch his sorry ass.

Reactions: BxLio91 and Ulrich
I would start anyone other than Saunders in goal.

I don't care if we go out. If it comes down to us going out due to Saunders or a Connor Brandt in goal, I'd rather it be Brandt. My head might explode with rage if it is Saunders given how many chances we've had to ditch his sorry ass.

Midas, the only light if we are eliminated in the MLS Cup playoffs is that it would be Saunders last start...hopefully...

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
As bad as we looked- which was quite bad- we still had some great scoring chances to tie up the game away, against a good team.

I thought we looked much better in the 2nd half, even before Mendoza came on.

Hope we can go up early against Columbus, and then just keep giving the ball to Villa so he can go for the Golden Boot

Reactions: JayH
This team's been a lot of fun this year. But it's proven time and time again that a back line of Matarrita-Brillant-Mena-Hernandez has a non-zero chance of completely shitting the bed. And that's before we get to Saunders. Until we fix that, it's going to take a miracle for us to win it all.

I think this match showed a bit how valuable Lampard is to the club. With Pirlo and Lampard in the middle with Iroala and McNamara behind and in front of them all sorts of things seem to happen. With Iraola in the center with Pirlo and McNamara to the sides none of the three of them played a huge part in the game, and we were also missing Lampard in the box to make things happen. Not to mention Harrison being much more connected to things with Lampard to direct. Not saying we can't win without him, of course, but we're better with him.

Let's go Dynamo!!!
giphy.gif

We really need a new goalkeeper. I'd also like to put a proper defensive mid on that wishlist too. AI was good, he just is showing the cracks of his age.

Whoever we wind up getting in the offseason I'd love it if they were a bit taller, our height going forward is really hurting us.

I wonder who we get when Lampard's contract comes up at the end of this season. I'm hoping management goes big and grabs someone who's still got top flight legs left.

It's disappointing that Khiry worked his way into the starting lineup only to then (likely/hopefully) play his way out of the starting lineup. He's been back to a play killer the last few games.

I think this has been about Shelton before, but he just doesn't seem to be able to make decisions ahead of time. And then he often holds on to the ball too long not making a decision. And he doesn't shoot!

Reactions: FootyLovin and JayH
And then he often holds on to the ball too long not making a decision.
I was shocked by the play he made where he successfully bought himself like 1.5 yards of space in perfect crossing position and then just stood there motionless like he'd surprised himself, and then lost the ball. I guess that's immaturity for you.

DC, as the clichè goes, just "looked like they wanted it more". They were quicker, they won most of the second balls, they learned that pressing us high works, and they just plugged up space all over the pitch until deep into the second half.

It didn't help that we looked like when the FIFA AI nerfs your team because you're not supposed to win the match within the narrative of the game so every player loses two points of pace and can't complete a pass to save their digital lives. Everything was going wrong. Bad first touch, bad decisions, bad passing, poor finishing... Disappointing.

If Mattarita is out for long I will cry.