ESPN+/MLS Live Thread

Gotham Gator

Registered
Donor
Feb 9, 2015
Bronxville, NY
This subject probably should have been its own thread already.

ESPN has announced ESPN+ will launch on April 12. The price is $4.99/month or $49.99/year.

It has been previously reported that MLS Live will be folded into ESPN+. So far in 2018, MLS Live has been running for free on the same basic platform that has been used in the past. The only substantial difference has been a lack of condensed games. My friend who works at BAM has told me that the condensed games will be part of the ESPN+ offering once it launches (I don't know if that will apply from the start).

Early articles about ESPN+ are coming out. There will not be any access to the programming on the main ESPN cable channels. This is all about extras. It seems that the MLB and NHL content will be one free game a day with an add-on available to stream all the games. MLS is not going to require the add-on, but the games will be restricted to out-of-market games.

This article states that "For the out-of-market MLS junkie (or die-hard Chicago Fire fan), ESPN+ looks like a godsend." But there doesn't seem to be much of interest to the average sports fan.

Reactions: sbrylski
Anybody else have trouble with the ESPN app on Apple TV last night? I tried to watch some games and the thing would just spin and never start. I could watch other things on the Apple TV, like Netflix, or iTunes stuff and Amazon Prime video. And I could watch soccer on the phone app version of ESPN. But ESPN on apple TV was a no go.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Anybody else have trouble with the ESPN app on Apple TV last night? I tried to watch some games and the thing would just spin and never start. I could watch other things on the Apple TV, like Netflix, or iTunes stuff and Amazon Prime video. And I could watch soccer on the phone app version of ESPN. But ESPN on apple TV was a no go.

I moved everything over the my amazon fire. Works so much better than my Apple TV.

My experience is the opposite. Funny that.

That is strange since I have apple everything in my life. And at first I resisted and only used Kodi on the fire tv. Then I moved my Netflix over. Then hbo, showtime, ESPN, sling tv... only real issue is you can’t use YouTube tv. There’s a workaround with a web browser, but it doesn’t scroll correctly.

Reactions: Schwallacus

Yeah, I was signed in with my ESPN account but the games and anything else from ESPN+ didn’t start. I signed out and then click the games and it actually worked. Then it stopped. I deleted the app and then redownloaded the app.

ESPN+ has problems on Apple TV because you can sign up for it on iTunes account and also your ESPN account and I think it confuses between which account it checks to see if you have ESPN+.

I'm a little slow to this, but with the old MLS Live, you eventually got access to full replays (I think it was day after), even for in-market / national TV matches. That seems to no longer be the case, huh?

Asking because I'm fairly sure that between Youtube TV and ESPN+, I can't see the Houston vs. NYCFC match that's on Univision Deportes / UniMas.

I'm a little slow to this, but with the old MLS Live, you eventually got access to full replays (I think it was day after), even for in-market / national TV matches. That seems to no longer be the case, huh?

Asking because I'm fairly sure that between Youtube TV and ESPN+, I can't see the Houston vs. NYCFC match that's on Univision Deportes / UniMas.
I am not aware of a way to get full length replays after the match is over, unless you have an actual DVR and have the station and record it.
The Houston game will be streamed live on Twitter, however, so if you can catch it live you should be set.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

You can see it on Twitter, for free.

You can see it on Twitter, for free.
I am not aware of a way to get full length replays after the match is over, unless you have an actual DVR and have the station and record it.
The Houston game will be streamed live on Twitter, however, so if you can catch it live you should be set.
Cheers. One of few times (I hope) I won't be able to watch live and will need to rely on a replay.

Where are there any archived games? On ESPN+?

They are hard to find, but they are there. You have to click the calendar and then select "replay" and go from there. You can filter by sport, which helps, but you have to select the actual date of the game.

The whole thing is a pain in the ass. Difficult to find the replays, not all replays available, no condensed games. Not sure it is worth it.

They are hard to find, but they are there. You have to click the calendar and then select "replay" and go from there. You can filter by sport, which helps, but you have to select the actual date of the game.

The whole thing is a pain in the ass. Difficult to find the replays, not all replays available, no condensed games. Not sure it is worth it.
Thanks. Better than not there at all I guess. And they probably have all the games that ESPN+ carried, which would exclude FOX, regular ESPN, and Univision games, whereas those used to be delayed for 24-48 hours.

Thanks. Better than not there at all I guess. And they probably have all the games that ESPN+ carried, which would exclude FOX, regular ESPN, and Univision games, whereas those used to be delayed for 24-48 hours.
I haven't checked closely, but I think they have the ESPN games on replay, but not Fox or Univision.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Disney announced yesterday that when it launches the Disney streaming service in November, it will offer a bundle of that, the ad-supported Hulu, and ESPN+ for $12.99 monthly. No mention of an annual discount that I can find. But for $12.99each month, you are roughly getting one of those services for free. If the offerings in those 3 services appeal to you, that is a lot of value. It seems uniquely beneficial to US domestic soccer fans, because the ESPN+ content is relatively spare, but if you watch MLS and the USOC it is quite beneficial.

Reactions: adam and Vallos
Disney announced yesterday that when it launches the Disney streaming service in November, it will offer a bundle of that, the ad-supported Hulu, and ESPN+ for $12.99 monthly. No mention of an annual discount that I can find. But for $12.99each month, you are roughly getting one of those services for free. If the offerings in those 3 services appeal to you, that is a lot of value. It seems uniquely beneficial to US domestic soccer fans, because the ESPN+ content is relatively spare, but if you watch MLS and the USOC it is quite beneficial.

if the price is not increasing for ESPN+, with MLS/USL/ serie A and select eredividie/ championship its good for me. Plus if its true bundesliga goes there next season then excellent purchase for me

Reactions: Schwallacus