Fan Appreciation Day And Open Practice At Yankee Stadium

Glad to hear what a great event it was. From the pics, it seems like the players really took time to interact with the fans. Hopefully, next year this will be on a weekend when I can take the kids.

True. That girl did good. Couldn't understand any of that guy's rap at half time though.

Fan appreciation day was a bust.

100% agreed. I wouldn't say it was a failure, but it definitely was a bust for me.
  • Two fans in attendance will win the opportunity to participate in the "Shirts Off Our Back" ceremony and receive a game-worn jersey on the pitch from a New York City FC player. - Good for the fans that got it, but I wasn't one of them. Also thought they would share the stories they submitted to show what great fans they were. Nope, just announce it's happening and walk on over to them.
  • Fans can attend a free interactive fan fest outside Yankee Stadium starting at noon on match day. - My "Ride of Fame" got there at 4 and they were already packing up. They were trying to hype it up the whole ride and when we got there, it was already done with. I know 4 is an hour before the game starts, but if you want the crowd to stay pumped, you keep them pumped up until game time. More on the ride later.
  • Fans in attendance will receive a New York City FC commemorative poster distrusted post-match (while supplies last). - Nice poster, hanging up on my wall now.
  • One fan will win a two-year lease on a Ford Explorer. - What? Did someone win? Was it announced? Maybe they did it while I was waiting 30 minutes inline for some sliders.
  • One fan will be selected to sing the national anthem. - Enjoyable, glad she did well.
  • Fans will receive a free 12oz fountain soda with any purchase at the concession stands compliments of Legends Hospitality. - Better than nothing I guess. Helped wash down my burnt fries and dry sliders.
  • A special message from the players after the match. - Really didn't know what I expected out of this. I like the 2 speeches given by Villa and Lamps. Kind of wished it would have evoked some more emotion in me; be it sentiment from the past season or hope towards next season. Didn't feel either.
  • End of season sale at the New York City FC team store at Yankee Stadium. - All I saw were 25% off things I didn't want. Wanted a hat or a fleece; was told neither was on sale. Long sleeve jersey was $175.....
  • Free hair and face painting in the Fan Zone located at Gate 2. - Didn't find this.
The "Ride of Fame" was a big EH. The ride itself was very enjoyable. It was a nice day to sit on the top of the open air double-decker bus. The fan service reps could have done a better job hyping us up though. When I got on my bus, there was a guy with a blow horn standing up at the front. I though he would give us nice interesting tid bits about the team or the players as we rode up. Nope! He tried to get us hyped, but there was an obvious lack of knowledge regarding the team. Had to ask if anyone on the bus knew any chants. He said a few generic "let's get loud!" or "let's go New York" comments, but that was the extent. As for the goodie bag, the paint on the draw string bag itself is already peeling. Inside the bag were 2 pom poms, which were a nice effort and came with a t-shirt that says we are one.

Thanks for sharing. Real disappointing. I'm not one to cry about teams owing the fans anything. But the efforts do matter. Sucks that it was mediocre.

I've been to tons of fan appreciation nights and last night seemed in line with most of them to be honest ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe I'm a sucker but I thought it was good. I enjoyed my poster and free soda. I thought it was cool that they put Neverson Heatley on at halftime even though it was a crime how they failed to mic his voice properly. Hernandez kicked a ball to the guy standing right in front of me in 205 - I guess they do that every game but that was the closest it has gotten to me which was fun. And I was surprised by how much I appreciated Villa and Lampard's little speeches. They looked pretty awkward and unhappy - but for all the right reasons - and it made me like both of them more.