1G - Kingdom of Belgium
2G - England

Group H
1H - Republic of Colombia
2H - State of Japan
upload_2018-6-28_16-43-16.png

Last edited:
Currently, one side of the bracket:
Uruguay (14), Portugal (4), Argentina (5), France (7), Mexico (15)

Guessing that Brazil (2), Belgium (3), and Colombia (16) are added here

The other side:
Russia (70), Spain (10), Denmark (12), Croatia (20), Sweden (24)

Guessing that Switzerland (6), England (12), and Japan (61) are added here

(Current FIFA rankings FWIW in parentheses)

The other side:

I don’t care who wins from here on out, except that I want to see the team that plays Russia next thoroughly embarrass them. They had a pushover group/aren’t good, they’re running distances each match to suggest they’re juiced, their country has a certified history of sponsored juicing, and they never should have gotten the cup to begin with. Would be perfect karma for England to knock them out.

I don’t care who wins from here on out, except that I want to see the team that plays Russia next thoroughly embarrass them. They had a pushover group/aren’t good, they’re running distances each match to suggest they’re juiced, their country has a certified history of sponsored juicing, and they never should have gotten the cup to begin with. Would be perfect karma for England to knock them out.
Well, that's going to be Spain. And they typically don't play in a manner where they blow teams out, even though they are much more talented than Russia. So I'm not sure I would get your hopes up too high.

and, and, and fck them they already won the stanley cup vicariously through ovechkin. They've done enough winning this year, let croatia get some.

Well, that's going to be Spain. And they typically don't play in a manner where they blow teams out, even though they are much more talented than Russia. So I'm not sure I would get your hopes up too high.
As long as Costa mortally wounds a few of their players, Spain can win 1-0

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC

The other side:

that top half of the draw is stacked.

if im england, im coming second..........

Some of what makes the top look stacked are the generous rankings for teams like Portugal and Argentina compared to teams like Croatia, Sweden and Spain.

Some of what makes the top look stacked are the generous rankings for teams like Portugal and Argentina compared to teams like Croatia, Sweden and Spain.

That is true.

As I speak, England will be playing Colombia in the Round of 16 and that is going to be a very tough game.

Awful way to go out, for Senegal. Fair play tie breaker: 6 yellow cards, vs. 4 for Japan.
Would rather it be something like number of shots on goal. That at least takes into account the attempt to win matches with shots that aren’t shanked.

Reactions: Keith Putnam
Would rather it be something like number of shots on goal. That at least takes into account the attempt to win matches with shots that aren’t shanked.
No way. Yellow cards can be just as valid as a measure of trying to win if not more. Last I checked defense was a part of the game too. Holding on to leads by time wasting and hard fouling are attempts to stave off a loss. If thats not intent to win I don't know what is.

I mean think about how many "professional fouls" are given for yellows. Lets just say that 1/20 of the fast breaks stopped would have lead to a goal. Then by measuring fair play through less cards given you are essentially deducting 1/20th from the goal differential because they are taking away the probability of a goal against. That makes sense to me. I suppose you could argue the same for red cards despite the fact that you are making your team worse off after receiving one, but could be viewed the same way; in a desperate attempt to stave off a loss you played extra dirty, so in determining who was the more justified team to advance in the event of a tie would be the one who didn't need to use those tactics.

It sucks in hind sight to say Senegal was bumped because an arbitrary decision to give a card, but what if one of those yellows kept japan from getting a winning goal or Poland from drawing in their match?

You have to decide somehow, its definitely better then flipping a coin.

and, and, and fck them they already won the stanley cup vicariously through ovechkin. They've done enough winning this year, let croatia get some.
Croatia is my rooting interest. They were among a group of potential choices for me. And I decided to hold off to make sure they didn’t choke. But since they haven’t so far, I’m all in.

I weirdly enjoy Sweden, too. But Forsberg should have like 4 times more key passes than he does if he could actually make good decisions and/or execute the pass.

Also, I actually don’t mind this England squad. I like quite a few of the players. I despise their strikers (Kane and Vardy, I mean here). But the rest of the team, except Cahill obviously, seems like good lads.

Finally, out of the favorites, I do think I like Brazil the most. They really have a great squad, even if I don’t get why they self-handicap by playing Jesus over Firmino. And Coutinho is the player of the tournament so far. (Yeah, I’m never letting Taurus get away with his anti-Coutinho, pro-Jesus shit).

Croatia is my rooting interest. They were among a group of potential choices for me. And I decided to hold off to make sure they didn’t choke. But since they haven’t so far, I’m all in.
Easily the best squad we’ve ever had. I like our chances over Denmark as well. If we can mark Messi out of a game we shouldn’t have a problem with Eirikson

Easily the best squad we’ve ever had. I like our chances over Denmark as well. If we can mark Messi out of a game we shouldn’t have a problem with Eirikson
Watching Denmark kind of sucks.

Obviously, everyone loves Modric and Rakitic. But I absolutely love Perisic going back to Dortmund. And I fell in love with Brozovic at Inter this year.

Brozovic is so freaking good. I think he has been the biggest difference maker for them from ‘14 to now. I don’t understand why top PL clubs aren’t all over him (or why they just ignored Perisic for forever).

Reactions: Schwallacus