Football Down Under A-League 17/18 Season

Beavers

Registered
Aug 5, 2017
Hello Americans well being one of the few Aussies on this forum (I would assume) thought I would put up a thread about football down under and the new season to come.

So basically our season kicks off in a couple weeks, 3 to be exact but yeah I will be posting updates here if anyone is interested. Our league is somewhat similar to your own but the players generally aren't as good but the same as all the clubs spend big money up front and nothing at the back so lots of goals and shit defending is to be expected.

Quick Overview there are 10 teams
Melbourne City (FFA cup winners)
Melbourne Victory (runners up)
Sydney FC (Champions last season)
Western Sydney Wanderers
Newcastle Jets
Central Coast Mariners
Perth Glory
Brisbane Roar
Adelaide United
Wellington Phoenix

Melbourne City this season are a mixed bag we could win the league or limp into the finals again, new manager but similar players unfortunately right now we have some issues our best player and marquee striker Bruno Fornaroli was injured by Hakoah in an FFA cup game (like the US open cup) and is out for 1 and half months which means where a little light up top.

Teams this season to watch out for are the big 4, the Sydney and Melbourne clubs all look strong this season not to mention Sydney FC only losing one game last season (to western Sydney on a very questionable call) so the big 4 should all be challenging this season. While expect the standard 3 clubs Newcastle, Central Coast and Wellington to fight for bottom.

If you want to watch, best games to watch are
Melbourne Victory v Melbourne City this will be week 2 of the season.
Sydney FC vs Western Sydney week 3.
The big blue Melbourne Victory vs Sydney FC round 1.
The original derby Adelaide United vs Melbourne Victory.

Some interesting videos for those interested
Football
Last Seasons Grand Final between Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC

Last Seasons Bloopers (Pretty funny even if you don't care about the league)

Best Goals last season surprised how many good goals there where last season tbh

Fans
Best of Australian Fans (for those who are anti capo take a look)

Melbourne Victory vs Melbourne City fans (were not all that well represented in this vid but ah well)

for those of your finding it hard to judge who is who in certain vids cause we have alot of dressers in our league, often darker clothing is Melbourne Victory and lighter clothing is Melbourne City just a general guide not to mention they have 3-4x our number.

So yeah if anyone is interested just reply I will be updating this as the season goes on, any questions and all I should be able to answer so if your bored during your off season take a look because unlike the MLS the A-League don't care about stream (legit there on YouTube you can even still find full games with a tiny amount of searching) so hope this thread is all good.

Last edited:
Hello Americans well being one of the few Aussies on this forum (I would assume) thought I would put up a thread about football down under and the new season to come.

So basically our season kicks off in a couple weeks, 3 to be exact but yeah I will be posting updates here if anyone is interested. Our league is somewhat similar to your own but the players generally aren't as good but the same as all the clubs spend big money up front and nothing at the back so lots of goals and shit defending is to be expected.

Quick Overview there are 10 teams
Melbourne City (FFA cup winners)
Melbourne Victory (runners up)
Sydney FC (Champions last season)
Western Sydney Wanderers
Newcastle Jets
Central Coast Mariners
Perth Glory
Brisbane Roar
Adelaide United
Wellington Phoenix

Melbourne City this season are a mixed bag we could win the league or limp into the finals again, new manager but similar players unfortunately right now we have some issues our best player and marquee striker Bruno Fornaroli was injured by Hakoah in an FFA cup game (like the US open cup) and is out for 1 and half months which means where a little light up top.

Teams this season to watch out for are the big 4, the Sydney and Melbourne clubs all look strong this season not to mention Sydney FC only losing one game last season (to western Sydney on a very questionable call) so the big 4 should all be challenging this season. While expect the standard 3 clubs Newcastle, Central Coast and Wellington to fight for bottom.

If you want to watch, best games to watch are
Melbourne Victory v Melbourne City this will be week 2 of the season.
Sydney FC vs Western Sydney week 3.
The big blue Melbourne Victory vs Sydney FC round 1.
The original derby Adelaide United vs Melbourne Victory.

Some interesting videos for those interested
Football
Last Seasons Grand Final between Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC

Last Seasons Bloopers (Pretty funny even if you don't care about the league)

Best Goals last season surprised how many good goals there where last season tbh

Fans
Best of Australian Fans (for those who are anti capo take a look)

Melbourne Victory vs Melbourne City fans (were not all that well represented in this vid but ah well)

for those of your finding it hard to judge who is who in certain vids cause we have alot of dressers in our league, often darker clothing is Melbourne Victory and lighter clothing is Melbourne City just a general guide not to mention they have 3-4x our number.

So yeah if anyone is interested just reply I will be updating this as the season goes on, any questions and all I should be able to answer so if your bored during your off season take a look because unlike the MLS the A-League don't care about stream (legit there on YouTube you can even still find full games with a tiny amount of searching) so hope this thread is all good.

Thanks, I think there's a fair few of us who do pay attention to the A-league. Lots of matches are available to us legally as the league has broadcast rights here through ESPN's streaming service and ESPN is very common for anyone with a cable package.
Looking forward to the updates and would also appreciate any info on the FFA/FIFA situation as it develops.

LONG POST COMING UP SORRY

How Football has Taken a wrong turn down under.

Abbreviations
FFA= Football Federation Australia, People who run football in Australia
NPL=National Premier League State leagues (2nd division all the way to park football), used to be the NSL who where the top league in Australia until 2003 when the A-League was introduced.

Had no idea the A-League was broadcast in the US so that's interesting. Basically the situation with the FFA/FIFA begins with the clubs and a story of money and power.

So to begin this ghastly tale we begin with money of course. A new TV deal is signed money flows but controlled by the FFA the flow stops too soon, the clubs want more money and no money is coming the flow has stopped so the club go knocking. They say to the FFA in this tale hey wheres the flow, the FFA begins to cry what money we cant let it go. The clubs say they contribute so much to the game. Our revenue alone should give us a bigger piece of the pie. So with the elections coming up for the FFA council, the A-League clubs begin to council they declare they want more representation instead of how it is currently run, The 9 State seats to 1 Club is not so fun (states so ex: Victoria has 1 seat and NSW 1 seat) so that's how our tale begins. The clubs want 6 seats on the council for them and the pie cutting begins (there will still be 9 seats for the state federations they just want more seats on the council).

The FFA shout there is no money to be found if we give the clubs more, the local game will be poor, the locals will cry there is no flow to the low cause the high have taken it all, The AFF (Asia Futsal Championship) have already been sacrificed, the flow has been stopped and the futsal team has been been left out to rot. The clubs want more growing thirsty for gold but the FFA claims there will be no more, they call out the clubs saying all you want is more, you must understand the needs of the poor. To end this part of the tale the clubs have grown hungry and want more power, whilst the FFA claim the local game and national team will suffer if the clubs take more money.

So the clubs leave and hatch a plan they take the FFA to the courts of the land. They declare that the FFA show the finances of the game, The FFA refuse there is no need to fan the flame. so the clubs acting under one council prepare to fan these flames they plan out the strategy preparing for the high court. The clubs look outward for an independent man a hero, in these dark times at hand. They hear a tale of the EPL, independently run and independently wealthy. The clubs claim they want this hero not an FFA zero. A voice comes from the dark an old man walks out he wants in on the trouble. Its the NPL he claims he has been left in the dark , he wants his pie just like everyone else. To end this the Aleague clubs request the financial books of the FFA and the NPL has organised and wants a seat on this FFA board.

So the clubs ask FIFA the high power to step in and remove the current and install the new, with new powers given to these 10 dastardly few. With the high power coming,the supporters come knocking out from the sidelines and into the fray. The supporters have more power then would be believed, they come with expectations and rights demanded of thee. To end this area the supporters come out and put pressure on the FFA demanding things such as less policing at games and expansion.

As if not to be believed the old enemy see, they takes upon the confusion and return to the fold. Its the media *gasp* and there back on the attack. They have the front foot and they have their support, In close behind we see the Rugby and AFL their back and they want to keep football on its back. They come in swinging however wildly underdone it seems they weren't ready to throw the first punch. They complain of a militant sport with flares, fights and intimidating support. They attack the heart of the game wanting to send it away, saying we tough bunch have no need for a Nancy game. to end this scene the media attack the game with the other big codes trying to keep football low in the sporting scene in the country, attacking the game for things such as hooliganism and flares as well as it being a soft and boring sport.

The high power comes rocking down under, the FFA hamstring the clubs and attack going straight to the high power hoping to cut the crap. They beg for more time to sort out the issues and FIFA says Jesus alright no issue. You have until the new season to sort yourselves out. FFA claims the clubs just want more you must understand times are tight, we have done alright. Fifa has given the FFA more time to work out a solution to the problem.

The power keg has erupted and fighting goes on. The supporters demand the FFA be gone, The clubs want the flow to never end and a bigger slice of the pie which they insistingly demand, The old man follows in claiming relevance, the torchbearers before should remain relevant, he says my friends and I are still alive, A-League clubs we want to help we will follow in behind, a second division is what we need more chances for Aussie players you will see. The FFA scream and cry they want to stay in control clubs be gone, the media reeling return to their holes but there not done they want football gone. The question remains will the high power come down from the cold.

I was really bored in class hope you enjoyed this tale

Its basically a shit show and a study in how not to run a football federation. This is a general overview there is more behind the scenes but don't wish to bombard readers.

Last edited:
Fellow long time nycfc forum aussie member.

The FFA are a sh#@show. The sooner FIFA get its normalising committee in, the better things will be.

Some updates, So a week to go before the start of the season and there have been some interesting twists and turns. Firstly Ross McCormack has joined Melbourne City from Aston Villa on a temporary move which will likely last 4 months, which speaking as a fan has made me very optimistic about this season our squad is looking seriously good some questions regarding Warren Joyce though.

Secondly in an unbelievable twist coach of Western Sydney Wanderers Tony Popovic has left with a week to go moving to take over a head coaching role in Turkey. Popa who took Western Sydney to 3 grand final's (losing all of them) and leading them to the Asian Cup (Asian Champions league) in 2014 beating teams way outside their pay grade. So overall Western Sydney who had a good squad shaping up this season look like they may be in trouble.

Finally the "minors" of the league have been looking good with both Newcastle and Central Coast taking impressive scalps in the lead up to the season. Both teams have been looking good this pre season with both getting some good players through the door with expectations that one of these teams will make the top 6 this year.

Overall season starts in 6 days and couldn't be more excited myself pumped after this off season and with the derby in round 2 going to be an interesting start.

First Update
Week 1 is done, personally this weekend I was covered in beer, almost lost my voice and my feet where dead from jumping but wouldn't trade it for anything.

Round up of the games this week

Firstly Melbourne City took on Brisbane Roar in Melbourne.
Melbourne came out winners with a double from winger Bruce Kamau. Overall we won pretty easily however we didn't look convincing in comparison Brisbane where a shambles partly down to our defense setup and partly down to them being bang average. Things seem to be looking up with the team starting to click 9.5k in attendance which is average but not great for us however there was a lack of advertising from the sporting body this season which helped contribute. Next week City face Melbourne Victory in the derby and this will be a hot one. Expect goals, shit challenges, riot police, amazing atmosphere and brawls all over the streets cause its gonna be a big one.

F3 Derby Newcastle Jets v Central Coast Mariners.
In the first F3 derby of this season Newcastle played Central coast down in Central Coast. In front of 13,000 people (quite big for 2 regional teams who haven't seen success in years) and boy was it a spicy exchange. The mariners mascot a giant sauce bottle gave the opposing Newcastle Ultras (NCL, Newcastle City Legionaries) the finger https://i.redd.it/gcxtp8vrvcqz.jpg. The game was not so interesting with Central Coast taking the lead early to later see former player and traitor Roy O Donavan score a perfect hat trick and for Newcastle to put 5 past Central Coast finishing 5-1. Newcastle looked good in pre season and it looks like that form has continued there being talked up to make finals this season so going to be interesting in the Hunter Valley.

The Big Blue (Grand Final rematch) Sydney FC (smurfs) vs Melbourne Victory (vuck)
The big blue was the showpiece fixture for the weekend with the grand final rematch taking place down in Melbourne Saturday night. The Vuck's where missing alot of key players however held their own against a Sydney team who last season looked unstoppable, 24k people where there to watch Deng score an own goal to hand Sydney the victory taking out the match 1-0. Big talking points regarding the Vuck support remain with the main supporters are withdrawing this season due to heavy policy and bans, though Victory's support was average at best Sydney had big numbers make the 900km travel and where loud all night.

Adelaide United vs Wellington Phoenix.
The "nux" faced Adelaide in NZ today in the game which was sorta forgotten by the rest of the league. A new look Adelaide who have this season actually bothered to rock up and compete came out with a draw against a very average looking Wellington Pheonix. Not much else to say tbh United looked alright so did the nix and yeah.

Perth Glory vs Western Sydney
The glory where away to WSW this weekend and the curse held true. Whenever Perth cross time zones they seem to fall to dust however fell to a decent looking Western Sydney. Western Sydney's manager left the club with 5 days before the season however assistant Hayden Foxe has taken over. Big things are being talked up of Western Sydney this season and I can see why they looked very impressive against a pretty strong Perth outfit. With WSW new stadium still in the works the crowds are down again with only 13k turning up to see WSW come out with a 2-1 victory to start the season.

Socceroos news and we got fucking gibbed by an shit Iranian referee in our world cup play off match against Syria which ended in a draw. The Aussie boys seemed to fall asleep during the second half after taking a 1-0 lead through Robbie Kruse however defended well until the Iranian ref gave a penalty for no idea. This begs the question why is an Iranian referee doing a Syrian game with the political sphere as it is not to mention that Iran is a rival of the Socceroos in Asia. The second leg is in Sydney in 2 days and boys i'm sweating it out. If we win we move on to face the playoff winner I think from North America for a place in the World Cup.

FFA news now and the FFA (Football Federation Australia) think they have found a way to get around the lawsuit and FIFA coming in to replace them. According to recent news the FFA believe they have found a loophole and can get around the coming lawsuit from the clubs and the replacement committee of FIFA. More news of this to be posted soon.

As always any question your welcome to ask and I will most likely respond.

Reactions: Paul
Sorry about the few weeks on break but finally finished all my uni exams so i'm back to give a quick run down.

Melbourne City
We are currently top of the table with 4 wins from 4. Playing defensive but we are winning big test this week comes up against second place Sydney FC who have 3 wins from 4. Our star striker Ross McCormack has decided to start trying with 3 goals in his last 2 games.

Melbourne Victory
Looking shit this season with only 2 points from the first 4 games. Seems like there are alot of problems surrounding the current style and it also seems they cant stop the leaks at the back.

Sydney FC
Again looking good this season though shaky at the back which is interesting. 3 wins from the first 4 with a draw in the Sydney derby again odds on to do really well this season.

Western Sydney
Currently 4th on the table but still looking very good. Looking incredible up top with their striker Riera imo tipped to win the golden boot.

Newcastle Jets
The dark horse this season but currently sit 3rd on the table with 8 points from the first 4 games however they are still undefeated with only two draws. Issues arise with the loss of star player Ronald Vargas with a terrible injury which will see him out for the season (its seriously bad dislocated ankle and broken leg bone went through his sock).

Adelaide United
Pretty good squad this season just been a bit unlucky playing against good opposition. Through to the FFA cup final against Sydney but a team to really watch this season just need to learn to finish their chances.

Perth Glory
Kenny Lowe has a pretty good squad this season but he keeps forgetting that and plays Marc Warren a lot. As normal good at home but cant seem to travel will prob just scrape into finals this season same as always.

Wellington Pheonix
The big big surprise this season, where tipped to be last this season by a mile but have come out and challenged in every game taking Sydney FC and Melbourne City all the way but just falling at the last hurdle. Could possibly play finals this season for the first time in years, tough to play against but need to find some goals (also there goalkeeper looks like sid from toy story legit look it up)

Central Coast Mariners
Playing some good attacking football but lacking the defensive side of the game. Not bad and interesting to watch however are leaking goals at the back though still dangerous with there ability to score goals quickly.

Brisbane Roar
shit.

anyway back to weekly updates if I can remember.

Week 5

Melbourne City v Sydney FC

In the top of the table clash between the two sky/city blue tm Sydney FC came out victors in a 1-0 win. Overall a decent though boring game however didn't look like we would score, off the park we smashed them in more ways then one :wink: but in the end we drop to second and Sydney retake first place.

Newcastle Jets v Wellington Pheonix
Eh boring and one sided. Newcastle came out 3-0 victors in a very one sided affair with the Wellington Keeper doing very well to keep it down to 3. Newcastle are still undefeated this season and move into 3rd behind the two sky/city blue teams. Big issues for Wellington with the lack of results and crowds compounding which might see them kicked from the league.

Perth Glory v Adelaide United
Being honest didn't see too much of this. Perth came out victors 1-0 but man of the match was Paul Izzo Adelaide's goalkeeper who pulled out some amazing saves including a penalty save to keep Adelaide in the game. Perth and Adelaide both looking like clubs which will be fighting for the 4-7th spots.

Central Coast v Brisbane Roar
Legit the worst game of football ever seen, even as someone who loves the game couldn't watch for more then 10 mins. Skills looked worse then my futsal team and nothing happened. Also finished 0-0

Western Sydney v Melbourne Victory
An insane game, ended at 1-1 but I have no idea how. Mitch Austin (also called Mitch Autism on the news legit look it up how do you mix Austin with Autism) sent off in the 30th minute for being an idiot. WSW go on to score and dominate but victory peg one back after half time. In an insane move by WSW even with the man advantage they don't try to win they sorta just do nothing and the game end. Victory are in trouble though with calls for Kevin Muscat to be fired they just cannot seem to get a win whilst watching all rivals start to skip away.

Eh bit late but busy job searching, btw if anyone wants to give a graduate in Economics and Finance a job please message would love to move to the US still pretty easy to get a visa for a bit.

Melbourne City will finish in 3rd and host a first round playoff matchup, opponent still to be determined over the weekend.

Unfortunately sometime since the season began, ESPN seems to have dropped A-League coverage entirely. The only option as of now looks to be Oz.com at $5 a month, although there’s a free month trial that’ll last through the playoffs. Or just find streams of course.

First playoff match will be Friday the 20th at 6 A.M. for us