Football Travel

Revfugee

Registered
Aug 23, 2015
Brooklyn
Posting this from Madrid.
Just got back from Rayo Vallecano 3-1 Mallorca. What a great experience! Small stadium, well drilled supporters, excellent atmosphere, quality football, and not a budget buster. If you are in Madrid and they are playing, GO! The stadium is just a few subway stops from El Centro. My ticket near midfield under the roof (dry on a Rainy night) was 30 euros and worth every penny even through only two players I recognized before the match (Falcao for Rayo and Hoppe for Mallorca) were injured. Our boy Iraola has Rayo sniffing at a European slot and in 6th place they are currently ahead of Barca, whom they actually beat a few weeks back. Apparently they also put a scare into Real two weeks ago.

Had a great pregame— two Estrellas and one of the best plates of pork belly I’ve ever eaten. All of this set me back 11 Euros — only slightly more than the $9.00 12 oz Bud I almost choked on at Stan’s before our last match (seriously, at those prices I might as well drink at the stadium).

But I digress. It was a throwback to what the Prem was like in England in the 90s — minus the in-stadium beer. Beer restrictions in UK and Europe are one thing I hope US soccer never copies from over there.

And Rayo have a great logo/kit.

Overall, highly recommended.

Anyone else have great suggestions for footy travel?

When I see what prices are in Europe for soccer, it really angers me that the prices for live sports entertainment in this country have been normalized at such a high price point. If they tried charging our prices in England, the entire country would riot.

In the midst of planning a soccer trip to England for my oldest son. We have a plan to give each kid a special trip when they turn 13. He is 14 - everything was delayed by the pandemic.

Initial plan is to fly into Manchester - watch Man City-Chelsea - and then head to London to watch a game there - either Tottenham-Arsenal or West Ham-Leeds.

Any advice or experience will be much appreciated.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
When I see what prices are in Europe for soccer, it really angers me that the prices for live sports entertainment in this country have been normalized at such a high price point. If they tried charging our prices in England, the entire country would riot.
In my experience The Premier League is about the same as MLB, but not as crazy as Football or the Rangers. I opted out of going to see Atletico amd Real because I didn’t want to spend more than 100 euros.
the huge pain in the ass in England is that you often either have to be a member or pay a scalper to even get access to tickets. The member access model may help keep things accessible for supporters but it’s a huge hurdle for tourists. The other thing I didn’t mention is that I had to go to the stadium early in the day in person to get my ticket. Rayo doesn’t have online ticketing. Which blows my mind.

Better than in Turkey, though, where my friend, who is a season ticket holder and on the supporters board at Galatasary, counsly sort through the bureaucracy to transfer his seats to me because the state security apparatus didn’t match my phone number to my passport correctly.

Reactions: mgarbowski
In the midst of planning a soccer trip to England for my oldest son. We have a plan to give each kid a special trip when they turn 13. He is 14 - everything was delayed by the pandemic.

Initial plan is to fly into Manchester - watch Man City-Chelsea - and then head to London to watch a game there - either Tottenham-Arsenal or West Ham-Leeds.

Any advice or experience will be much appreciated.
I have no pertinent advice. Last time I tried to go to a match in Manchester it was Chelsea Man U and the tickets were so obscenely expensive that I went to Bolton-Stoke and Blackpool to see City Away. For less than the cost of one ManU Chelsea nosebleed. That was reasonable (this was 2011). Brace yourself for Chelsea-City and North London Derby prices and availability. LMK how much you get quoted or decide to pay. I predict you end up at West Ham (as a bonus you’ll get to see our boy Jack vs our Jamaican nemesis).

Posting this from Madrid.
Just got back from Rayo Vallecano 3-1 Mallorca. What a great experience! Small stadium, well drilled supporters, excellent atmosphere, quality football, and not a budget buster. If you are in Madrid and they are playing, GO! The stadium is just a few subway stops from El Centro. My ticket near midfield under the roof (dry on a Rainy night) was 30 euros and worth every penny even through only two players I recognized before the match (Falcao for Rayo and Hoppe for Mallorca) were injured. Our boy Iraola has Rayo sniffing at a European slot and in 6th place they are currently ahead of Barca, whom they actually beat a few weeks back. Apparently they also put a scare into Real two weeks ago.

Had a great pregame— two Estrellas and one of the best plates of pork belly I’ve ever eaten. All of this set me back 11 Euros — only slightly more than the $9.00 12 oz Bud I almost choked on at Stan’s before our last match (seriously, at those prices I might as well drink at the stadium).

But I digress. It was a throwback to what the Prem was like in England in the 90s — minus the in-stadium beer. Beer restrictions in UK and Europe are one thing I hope US soccer never copies from over there.

And Rayo have a great logo/kit.

Overall, highly recommended.

Anyone else have great suggestions for footy travel?

Spain is great. Been to a few home games for Villarreal as my wife hails from there.....amazing atmosphere with food so cheap along with beer and great atmosphere ( I feel this is the case through out Spain)...nice people

Went to a Chelsea (Europa) and Man City (Prem) in England....food was not allowed in the seats nor drinks (I asked a person they said because of hooligans back in the day)...maybe they threw food and beer from the stands...none the less great atmosphere.

When I was young went to a Copa Libertadores game in Ecuador for Barcelona SC ....... That s### was crazy atmosphere and felt scared....don't remember the food but the whole time was hoping didn't get mugged, pushed to like a mosh pit or get piss thrown at me.....I'm sure things are better now and looking forward to going see another Libertadores game (hopefully a final)

Hopefully when we get stadium we get the same crowds we were getting our first 2 seasons....but yes food can be better

And crossing my fingers we make it one day to CONCACAF Champions league game were we have to play America in its historical Azteca stadium (I'll make sure to go that)

I have no pertinent advice. Last time I tried to go to a match in Manchester it was Chelsea Man U and the tickets were so obscenely expensive that I went to Bolton-Stoke and Blackpool to see City Away. For less than the cost of one ManU Chelsea nosebleed. That was reasonable (this was 2011). Brace yourself for Chelsea-City and North London Derby prices and availability. LMK how much you get quoted or decide to pay. I predict you end up at West Ham (as a bonus you’ll get to see our boy Jack vs our Jamaican nemesis).
Thanks. This is helpful.

Fortunately, the Third Rail is doing that Manchester City - Chelsea game, so I've been hooked up with affordable tickets that way.

For London, it seems impossible to get tickets to the Derby. Tottenham is only selling tickets to "members" and has lots of warnings on its site that if you buy from a scalper they will void the ticket and refuse you admission. West Ham's tickets for Leeds aren't on sale yet. Another possibility - one I am now favoring - is to do a game at Fulham. None of the other games are being played in a proper, historical English stadium. Craven Cottage is about as good as it gets for that. I just have to hope that the match ends up on Sunday - the schedule is not yet set.

Reactions: Schwallacus
Thanks. This is helpful.

Fortunately, the Third Rail is doing that Manchester City - Chelsea game, so I've been hooked up with affordable tickets that way.

For London, it seems impossible to get tickets to the Derby. Tottenham is only selling tickets to "members" and has lots of warnings on its site that if you buy from a scalper they will void the ticket and refuse you admission. West Ham's tickets for Leeds aren't on sale yet. Another possibility - one I am now favoring - is to do a game at Fulham. None of the other games are being played in a proper, historical English stadium. Craven Cottage is about as good as it gets for that. I just have to hope that the match ends up on Sunday - the schedule is not yet set.
Is Crystal Palace at home that weekend? Get a good look at the home field for AFC Richmond too ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gotham Gator
Thanks. This is helpful.

I’ve never been to Craven Cottage. That would be my choice too. I’ve never been but it gets raves. I doubt you’ll have much problem getting a West Ham-Leeds ticket if that falls through, though.

BTW further up thread someone referred to the beer and food choices at Spanish venues being superior. Not so much in my recent travels. 1) they don’t allow beer sales in venues in Spain (or Portugal) any more and 2) the food choices at the Camp Nou, Dragao and Vallecas are almost as dire as English stadia. It always cracks me up that European stadium food mostly consists of terrible imitations of burgers and hot dogs (so much good local stuff like chorizos and pies and yet they try to ape us—poorly). FWIW the frontloading at Rayo is far superior towhat’s available at Camp Nou and Dragao. 2.50 Estellas, great tortillas and torreznos, and right across the street.

Reactions: JCMore
Anyone have insight / advice into buying tickets for Serie A? Considering a trip that could include matches at Venezia, Verona and Milan (AC, Inter or even possibly just promoted Monza).

Reactions: JayH
Anyone have insight / advice into buying tickets for Serie A? Considering a trip that could include matches at Venezia, Verona and Milan (AC, Inter or even possibly just promoted Monza).
I don't think you'll have trouble with any of those -- if you want to be certain, join the clubs. They might have overseas memberships that are a little cheaper.

Reactions: FootyLovin