Frank Lampard Was On The Radio This Morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjbert

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 24, 2014
with Neil Barnett on Sirius XM 94. The conversation was taped on Monday night.

Some key takeaways...

- He is taking two weeks off back home before he settles in the states. Leads me to believe he doesn't enter training until Monday, June 15th (after the Montreal home game).

- He has not found a place to live yet. The newspaper articles about him finding that apartment were wrong.

- By his calculation, his first game will be Sunday, July 12th vs. Toronto at home. ("See you in Mid July")

- He was noticeably upset with Pellegrini. Was told he would be Toure's replacement for the ACON and didn't start for 3 months. The team went 6-0 down the stretch with him in the line-up.

- Says he is in great shape. Ironically, not playing a lot for 3 months allowed his body to heal, but says he is mentally tired right now. The next two weeks will serve to remedy that.

- He keeps in touch regularly with Kreis, but speaks to a couple of the NYCFC players regularly as well.

- Says the goal is still the playoffs. Mentioned the turnaround by LA Galaxy as an example of what the team can still accomplish this year, but expects to make the playoffs. (we are currently 6 out of 5th and 8 out of 4th place). Neil mentioned that a 3 game winning streak turns this all around and Frank referenced LAG.

Another tidbit is that Stevie G's first game will be as part of the ICC exhibition series where they will face a Mexican team. I forget which.

Last edited by a moderator:

Some key takeaways...

- He is taking two weeks off back home before he settles in the states. Leads me to believe he doesn't enter training until Monday, June 15th (after the Montreal home game).

- He has not found a place to live yet. The newspaper articles about him finding that apartment were wrong.

- By his calculation, his first game will be Sunday, July 12th vs. Toronto at home. ("See you in Mid July")

- He was noticeably upset with Pellegrini. Was told he would be Toure's replacement for the ACON and didn't start for 3 months. The team went 6-0 down the stretch with him in the line-up.

- Says he is in great shape. Ironically, not playing a lot for 3 months allowed his body to heal, but says he is mentally tired right now. The next two weeks will serve to remedy that.

- He keeps in touch regularly with Kreis, but speaks to a couple of the NYCFC players regularly as well.

- Says the goal is still the playoffs. Mentioned the turnaround by LA Galaxy as an example of what the team can still accomplish this year, but expects to make the playoffs. (we are currently 6 out of 5th and 8 out of 4th place). Neil mentioned that a 3 game winning streak turns this all around and Frank referenced LAG.

Another tidbit is that Stevie G's first game will be as part of the ICC exhibition series where they will face a Mexican team. I forget which.
Thanks for this. There are lots of references to it on Twitter and none of them address the simple question of when he's joining us. Based on your summary it sounds like he hinted at July 12 but didn't explicitly commit. All anyone on Twitter quoted was the bit about he thinks we can get back into playoff contention by winning 3-4 in a row, which is hardly news.
BTW, LA Galaxy play Club America July 11.

Reactions: LionNYC and Kjbert
Yeah, I saw in an ESPN interview he expressed he didn't like sitting on the bench so much after the announcement.

I took that as, between the lines, expressing his regret for staying. Even Frank was double-crossed.

ESPN:

Lampard admits there was frustration after that extension was agreed as manager Manuel Pellegrini then stopped playing him regularly. It proved a critical period of the season as City fell behind Chelsea in the title race.

Lampard said: "The only difficult period for me was when we went into the new year level-pegging with Chelsea at the top. I felt I was really contributing to the team but then I had a few months where I hardly started any of the games and that was difficult.

"It was a frustrating couple of months but I kept a level head about it because I was just very happy to be here."
http://www.espnfc.us/story/2465862/frank-lampard-ready-for-nycfc-after-ending-man-city-career

The fact he keeps bringing it up in interviews means he's pretty pissed about it. He's showing restraint but...

ESPN:

Lampard admits there was frustration after that extension was agreed as manager Manuel Pellegrini then stopped playing him regularly. It proved a critical period of the season as City fell behind Chelsea in the title race.

Lampard said: "The only difficult period for me was when we went into the new year level-pegging with Chelsea at the top. I felt I was really contributing to the team but then I had a few months where I hardly started any of the games and that was difficult.

"It was a frustrating couple of months but I kept a level head about it because I was just very happy to be here."
http://www.espnfc.us/story/2465862/frank-lampard-ready-for-nycfc-after-ending-man-city-career

The fact he keeps bringing it up in interviews means he's pretty pissed about it. He's showing restraint but...

I'm pretty sure he wasn't all that happy to screw up his MLS beginnings (plus relationship with fans, possibly coaches, etc.) for a ride on the bench. I feel bad for him in that respect. I hope he takes out his anger by scoring goals for NYC.

Neil Barnett absolutely loves the guy. I know he's "The Big Blue Head" but he speaks glowingly about him - says he's just a regular bloke.

Other comment that I thought was interesting from Frank (and is something often referenced here about attracting players) is that he is looking forward to the hustle and bustle of living in New York City. Said he's a city kid from London and he loves the ability to walk out from his apartment and just meet new people everyday.

Reactions: Gavin23
I'm pretty sure he wasn't all that happy to screw up his MLS beginnings (plus relationship with fans, possibly coaches, etc.) for a ride on the bench. I feel bad for him in that respect. I hope he takes out his anger by scoring goals for NYC.
Same here. I hope he channels that and scores goals. As a big F U for benching me to Man City. But yeah seems like he was led on to believe if he extended his stay he'd start which wasn't the case.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders

Some key takeaways...

Thanks for this, dude.

I have no pity for him. He made his decision. He should have been here with us, and if he was we'd probably be in better shape.

Neil Barnett absolutely loves the guy. I know he's "The Big Blue Head" but he speaks glowingly about him - says he's just a regular bloke.

Other comment that I thought was interesting from Frank (and is something often referenced here about attracting players) is that he is looking forward to the hustle and bustle of living in New York City. Said he's a city kid from London and he loves the ability to walk out from his apartment and just meet new people everyday.
Hopefully I can run into him here in NYC while having my Lampard jersey on.

Reactions: Kjbert
Can I just say this place is so much more enjoyable with a certain trolling party on ignore?

The ones that de-rail every conversation looking to talk about/defend a certain other team that's not NYCFC...

Reactions: Kjbert
Yeah, I saw in an ESPN interview he expressed he didn't like sitting on the bench so much after the announcement.

I took that as, between the lines, expressing his regret for staying. Even Frank was double-crossed.
Saw the interview. Looked like he was merely extending an olive branch to the fans of his new team. Looks like it worked to some degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.