Gerrard 'surprised At Mls Quality'. Who Thinks This Applies To Lampard In Spades?

Gentile

Registered
Feb 2, 2015
Here is the link:

http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article...rrard-surprised-quality-mls-joining-la-galaxy

Reading this makes me even more mad at Lampard. I bet he thought he could just roll up half way in the season and tear it up because 'it's MLS'. The attitude Gerrard talks about has been demonstrated by certain DP players in MLS for years; and they were disasters.

If you are not fully committed even if this league is not that great you get found out, the latest being Maloney at Chicago.

Now to broaden it out, do you think CFG are just as guilty as Frank (IMO) of underestimating the league? Kreis said before the season it was not the best idea to bring DP players midway through the season.

Now was he not listened to? Was he not strong enough in his views to them? Did they just think it's MLS it can't be that difficult? Where does Reyna stand in this? He is responsible for bringing in players too, and so far he ain't no Garth Lagerway!

Are we as fans guilty of underestimating the league as well? Do we think if we had another manager we would get into the playoffs even with a lot of the things Kreis seems to have to deal with behind the scenes?

I must admit I did not think bringing in so many reinforcements half way through the season would be such a bad thing, but the stats show we are worse now.

Even as bad as the team seemed earlier, we more or less started again half way in; with hindsight it was never gonna work that well. We have players now who can't play in they're best position, (I think Mix has to go end of season if Lampard stays 'cause he ain't playing instead of him and Pirlo and is wasted elsewhere IMO), have hardly any pace, nobody good to hold up the ball and no decent holding midfielder.

Maybe the club as a whole, CFG, some players, us fans (to an extent) have been guilty to some degree of underestimated the league.

Finally, lets all hope Lampard does a Maloney and pisses off. He only has a year after this 'season' anyway, if ever fit he will fuck up team shape even more than now; It just won't work here. Lets hope we can cut our losses and maybe get a committed DP who actually fits the team shape, ie support forward or holding midfielder.

Hopefully soon, he will be footnote and turning point for better decisions made by this club.

"These American blokes call it soccer, they must all be shit." - Frank Lampard

"America is one of the fattest countries in the world, everyone in MLS must be slow as shit." - Fat Frank

Last edited:
There's absolutely nothing he has said or done that indicates what you say is true.
I've said similar things on here any number of times and usually catch a good bit of flak for it. But the truth is we just don't know all that much and a lot of our grumbling is basically guesswork. We don't know for sure what role Kreis played in picking the squad or how much influence he has on who plays or doesn't. We don't know for sure if CFG calls the shots or only just pays the bills and everything's run from New York. We don't know for sure exactly what happened with Lampard for that matter. Maybe he was told to go to Manchester, maybe it was all his idea. The point is that we don't really know any of these things. We can endlessly speculate (and we do!) but we don't have that many facts.

Just like with the Mets and Terry Collins. Last year he was the worst manager ever, was responsible for all the player injuries, and people were calling for his head. This year the team's in first place and he's a genius. Did he have anything to do with all those great trades the Mets made to become the surprisingly good team they seem to be now? Well, we just don't know.

It's the same with Kreis, Lampard, Mix, and whoever else you might want to name as questionable.

OK folks, fire away! I can take it!

Reactions: Mikeylito and AJS
In all fairness, you have no basis for this belief other than what you imagine he's thinking. There's absolutely nothing he has said or done that indicates what you say is true.
He wasn't here for half a season. If he wanted to really come do you think CFG would force him against his will? Really? If he wanted to come he would of. He didn't want to come on time badly enough.

He wasn't here for half a season. If he wanted to really come do you think CFG would force him against his will? Really? If he wanted to come he would of. He didn't want to come on time badly enough.
Let's remember that at the time it was decided that he would stay in Manchester for the full season, he was playing meaningful minutes on a team competing for the premier league title and in the champions league. Did anyone actually think it would play out differently and, as much as I love this team, can you really blame him?

I hate it when people are fair minded and rational. Stop being such an asshole.
Alright, that's it buddy. You, me, Saturday afternoon, Yankee Stadium behind the outfield goal. Show up and be ready as there's gonna be some yellin' and screamin' goin' on.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Let's remember that at the time it was decided that he would stay in Manchester for the full season, he was playing meaningful minutes on a team competing for the premier league title and in the champions league. Did anyone actually think it would play out differently and, as much as I love this team, can you really blame him?
Yes I can blame him if I'm expected to be understanding of his current situation. I don't give a flying fuck what he did for another team. I only care about mine. What good do his quality minutes and goals for a title contender do us now? Someone explain to me how useful his extended time in Manchester is to our current eastern conference standings? In what way did we benefit on the pitch?

In all fairness, you have no basis for this belief other than what you imagine he's thinking. There's absolutely nothing he has said or done that indicates what you say is true.
He wasn't here for half a season. If he wanted to really come do you think CFG would force him against his will? Really? If he wanted to come he would of.
Yes I can blame him if I'm expected to be understanding of his current situation. I don't give a flying fuck what he did for another team. I only care about mine. What good do his quality minutes and goals for a title contender do us now? Someone explain to me how useful his extended time in Manchester is to our current eastern conference standings? In what way did we benefit on the pitch?

Thank you. He not only came late, he is overweight and unfit. That really show commitment doesn't it. Giovinco came early, why is Lampard getting a pass? Oh cause he was playing for City. Pathetic. What he did was anything but commited and is exactly the type of behaviour talked about in the article.

He thought he could come late cause MLS ain't all that and he could storm it without proper preparation. That's what his behaviour says to me anyway, and now we are paying the price.

How does a piece about Gerrard thinking the league is better quality than he thought turned into yet another have a go a lampard thread ?
I watch the premier league live every home game and would put mls standard as no better than English league 1little skill but plenty of energy and effort

Here is the link:

http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article...rrard-surprised-quality-mls-joining-la-galaxy

Reading this makes me even more mad at Lampard. I bet he thought he could just roll up half way in the season and tear it up because 'it's MLS'. The attitude Gerrard talks about has been demonstrated by certain DP players in MLS for years; and they were disasters.

If you are not fully committed even if this league is not that great you get found out, the latest being Maloney at Chicago.

Now to broaden it out, do you think CFG are just as guilty as Frank (IMO) of underestimating the league? Kreis said before the season it was not the best idea to bring DP players midway through the season.

Now was he not listened to? Was he not strong enough in his views to them? Did they just think it's MLS it can't be that difficult? Where does Reyna stand in this? He is responsible for bringing in players too, and so far he ain't no Garth Lagerway!

Are we as fans guilty of underestimating the league as well? Do we think if we had another manager we would get into the playoffs even with a lot of the things Kreis seems to have to deal with behind the scenes?

I must admit I did not think bringing in so many reinforcements half way through the season would be such a bad thing, but the stats show we are worse now.

Even as bad as the team seemed earlier, we more or less started again half way in; with hindsight it was never gonna work that well. We have players now who can't play in they're best position, (I think Mix has to go end of season if Lampard stays 'cause he ain't playing instead of him and Pirlo and is wasted elsewhere IMO), have hardly any pace, nobody good to hold up the ball and no decent holding midfielder.

Maybe the club as a whole, CFG, some players, us fans (to an extent) have been guilty to some degree of underestimated the league.

Finally, lets all hope Lampard does a Maloney and pisses off. He only has a year after this 'season' anyway, if ever fit he will fuck up team shape even more than now; It just won't work here. Lets hope we can cut our losses and maybe get a committed DP who actually fits the team shape, ie support forward or holding midfielder.

Hopefully soon, he will be footnote and turning point for better decisions made by this club.

Are we really playing worse after Pirlo and frank or are we just playing better teams so the flaws that were there are magnafied.

Are we really playing worse after Pirlo and frank or are we just playing better teams so the flaws that were there are magnafied.
Frank is irrelevant in terms of our quality of play. 107 minutes in 2 games has no meaningful effect. He basically played one nearly whole game and token minutes in another. Since all transfers arrived, including Angelino and Iraola, we have gotten 8 points in 8 games, with draws against Toronto and Columbus, and losses to LA, NYRB, Montreal and New England. So that's some tough teams (LA and NYRB), but before those guys arrived we were 1-0-0 against New England, 1-0-0 against Toronto, and 2-0-0 against Montreal. These were beatable teams. OTOH it's hard to keep beating teams forever (well, except for what the RB did to us). Small sample, etc, but tt's fair to say at a minimum that the transfers have not made us better, at least not yet.

Reactions: Paul
I'm gonna break this post down

Here is the link:

Admits that Lampard's attitude here is pure conjecture. This has no evidence or support behind it. Also ignores the fact that Gerrard also "rolled up halfway in the season".

Now the opinion above that had no support has become fact in the OP's eyes. Frank is not 100% guilty of underestimating the league based on no empirical evidence.

Legitimate question, but I'm not sure where to point fingers. For the whole midseason deal, there are plenty of names to go around, Pelligrini, Renya, CFG, Lampard himself, etc. However, Lampard missing so many games has nothing to do with this at all. In comes a guy who has had little injury history in his career, and now he has been sidetracked by calf and quad injuries.

I'm gonna break this post down

Admits that Lampard's attitude here is pure conjecture. This has no evidence or support behind it. Also ignores the fact that Gerrard also "rolled up halfway in the season".

Now the opinion above that had no support has become fact in the OP's eyes. Frank is not 100% guilty of underestimating the league based on no empirical evidence.

Legitimate question, but I'm not sure where to point fingers. For the whole midseason deal, there are plenty of names to go around, Pelligrini, Renya, CFG, Lampard himself, etc. However, Lampard missing so many games has nothing to do with this at all. In comes a guy who has had little injury history in his career, and now he has been sidetracked by calf and quad injuries.
I think a more succinct recap is: shit happens.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I would like the discussion to turn to what Gerrard stated. I'm new to soccer; I basically know the other leagues around the world are better than MLS. But I keep hearing how fast and physical we are in relations to those leagues. Can someone expound on this? Most of these international players are past their prime. Are their statements more indicative of their age, or is MLS really that physical?

Frank is irrelevant in terms of our quality of play. 107 minutes in 2 games has no meaningful effect. He basically played one nearly whole game and token minutes in another. Since all transfers arrived, including Angelino and Iraola, we have gotten 8 points in 8 games, with draws against Toronto and Columbus, and losses to LA, NJRB, Montreal and New England. So that's some tough teams (LA and NJRB), but before those guys arrived we were 1-0-0 against New England, 1-0-0 against Toronto, and 2-0-0 against Montreal. These were beatable teams. OTOH it's hard to keep beating teams forever (well, except for what the RB did to us). Small sample, etc, but tt's fair to say at a minimum that the transfers have not made us better, at least not yet.

thanks
I was trying to find something positive , but now have to admit we just suck.

Here is the link:

Reading this makes me even more mad at Lampard.

I get why everyone is so pissed about this Frank lampard situation. We were mislead about his signing from the start. Now that he's finally here and taking a good chunk of money from our wallet, he's sitting on the bench. And to some of us this is made worse knowing that he spent the last year at MCFC finishing off his EPL career and playing well for a senior player. Then he comes here and is injured and useless. I get it ... I think everyone is less than pleased at the way this worked out. However as far as this article is concerned, put the shoe on the foot. This sport is one of the few sports that America doesn't dominate. You don't see older NBA stars cutting their careers early to play in Europe, or older NFL QB's not signing a NFL contract so they can play in the CFL. Did anyone really think Frank lampard would be any different? I didn't, and I don't think anyone would expect him to race over here when he had the chance to play one more EPL season. That doesn't mean I have to like. I'm not happy about it, but it is what it is. The funny thing is that Lampard will get boo'd at games until he scores ... and if he can score more than once before the end of the season (assuming he even makes an appearance), I have a feeling NY will be very forgiving.