Home - October 24 - Montreal (Postgame)

Weird game, played bad most of the game. Montreal mistake leads to goal then everything opened up and score 3 quickly

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Mid-table team winning against a lower table team in a late season game, not really much more to write about here.

team is what it is.

Yeah, didn't really felt like we looked good, but the team did play well enough to get 3 points I guess.

I thought Gary had one of his best games, which isn't saying a whole lot. He can strike the ball well with his left so I liked seeing him take those distance chances when Montreal gave him space to do so.

Really wasn't sure what the Montreal keeper was doing on our first. He took himself way out of the play without really even taking away another option. But it was a good finish by Jesus, need to give him some credit there.

It seemed like Maxi was out of sync with several players. Noticed this between him and Gary a few times. Noticed Maxi and Keaton getting into the same spaces a few times. Hopefully that'll get sorted out the more Maxi plays.

I'm curious as to if the original gameplan was to play Maxi as long as he did. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to join the postgame to ask Ronny about it, but I assumed the plan was to play Maxi 60 minutes or so. Perhaps as we struggled to convert chances and with limited options off the bench, Ronny decided to let Maxi play a bit longer. But it'll be an interesting item to monitor this week. Two more games in the next seven, and while we get Taty back, I'd be surprised if Isi comes back before the Red Bulls game unless all of a sudden his test results are reversed.

Reactions: JayH and mgarbowski
Not for nothing, but since Aug. 24 NYCFC is 8-3-3. That's the second-best record in the league behind only Philadelphia according to WhoScored.com. Have we accounted for the fact that despite the injuries and despite some poor results against the top teams, this is still a dangerous team capable of more than we think they are?

I'm not saying they're going to get it done in the playoffs, and I know they've been poor against Philly, Toronto, Columbus and Orlando, but the record doesn't lie. Are we a mid-table team? Sure. But I'm not sure we're giving the team (and the coach) enough credit for turning this thing around. It was UGLY at MIB, and it has not been ugly since then. Even if we are just beating the teams below us.

Yeah, didn't really felt like we looked good, but the team did play well enough to get 3 points I guess.

I thought Gary had one of his best games, which isn't saying a whole lot. He can strike the ball well with his left so I liked seeing him take those distance chances when Montreal gave him space to do so.

Really wasn't sure what the Montreal keeper was doing on our first. He took himself way out of the play without really even taking away another option. But it was a good finish by Jesus, need to give him some credit there.

It seemed like Maxi was out of sync with several players. Noticed this between him and Gary a few times. Noticed Maxi and Keaton getting into the same spaces a few times. Hopefully that'll get sorted out the more Maxi plays.

I'm curious as to if the original gameplan was to play Maxi as long as he did. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to join the postgame to ask Ronny about it, but I assumed the plan was to play Maxi 60 minutes or so. Perhaps as we struggled to convert chances and with limited options off the bench, Ronny decided to let Maxi play a bit longer. But it'll be an interesting item to monitor this week. Two more games in the next seven, and while we get Taty back, I'd be surprised if Isi comes back before the Red Bulls game unless all of a sudden his test results are reversed.

Have to think Isi's down for the next 10-14 days, which probably takes him out of commission until no earlier than Decision Day, if not the playoffs. Depends if he develops symptoms, obviously.

And you're probably right on Maxi -- I can't imagine he starts both games this week. Probably comes off the bench for Toronto to have him at full tilt for the Derby.

just watched the post game - apparently ronny thought the team played fantastic for the full 90 minutes. that's a bit delusional to me. his face surely didn't think we were playing fantastic in the first half. we improved in the second half but it took a very good counter attack to find the first goal to open everything up.

we were otherwise, a very boring team. agree with Soup that maxi was out of sync with a lot of players, with the exception of maybe anton, who was always where he needed to be on the attack. not having maxi as part of the team really effected their rhythm together and it shows.

I thought keaton was pretty ineffectual the entire game. he didn't give much going forward and he was horrendous on defense. he surely wasn't a box to box midfielder and I often noticed him lagging behind as the play was transitioning up and down the field. I don't know if he's just tired or just having an off game. Either way, I know he can do better and hope he picks up his game for the end of the season and into the playoffs. he is a key player for us and we need his top form to do well. his lack of movement created huge gaps in the midfield, which a better team would have seriously punished us with. as it was, maxi was almost always outnumbered with few options to pass to. it was frustrating to watch.

thought ibby stepped in and played a solid game. he should definitely get more starts to give callens/chanot a rest.

gudi's defensive abilities looked solid when he first played early in the season, but they have since rapidly gone downhill in my opinion. the biggest thing for me is his level of effort and focus. he just seems to slowdown/stop a second before he's about to get there or he just shuts off and ball watches when he should be on high alert.

everyone else played ok to good, i thought. tough since we are missing key players.

i am really curious what the situation is with acevedo. ronny seems to have very little confidence in him. frustrating since i thought he showed a lot of potential the few times he had actual minutes.