Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Our first home match will be played against a tough Toronto opponent.
Match time and date is 03/13 at 5pm
I flew up for the opener last year but might have to pass this year as that was a tad bit miserable weather wise. Froze my nuts off.
Will probably see an ESPN broadcast for this one.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

I'm guessing they didn't tear up the sod after the New England match, because the infield looks damn good. I hope they leave everything intact after the Pinstripe Bowl, but I think they re-sod the entire stadium in the Spring. That would be a shame, because at least we'd have a better field for a couple of matches in March.

I'm guessing they didn't tear up the sod after the New England match, because the infield looks damn good. I hope they leave everything intact after the Pinstripe Bowl, but I think they re-sod the entire stadium in the Spring. That would be a shame, because at least we'd have a better field for a couple of matches in March.

Yeah, they'll reconfigure the stadium for baseball before setting it up for this match just like last year. There will be a pitcher's mound and it will look typical city.

Our first home match will be played against a tough Toronto opponent.
Match time and date is 03/13 at 5pm
I flew up for the opener last year but might have to pass this year as that was a tad bit miserable weather wise. Froze my nuts off.
Will probably see an ESPN broadcast for this one.
The way this winter has been going its probably gonna be 80 degrees

Notice that they have no problem removing the mound for that game. If only they'd do that for our games. If they did, then the pitch wouldn't be so narrow.

I understand the legitimate limitations that come with being a secondary tenant in a baseball stadium, the main one being the availibility of dates. But the thing about the pitcher's mound bothers me.

There is no good reason that the mound cannot be transported on and off the field (note: not "rebuilt", but moved as a unit) for each NYCFC match. The Yankees' unwillingness to do this sends a message about how little they value this team in which they have an ownership stake. This practice creates an obstacle which does not need to exist.

It isn't the biggest deal; but it irks me.

Notice that they have no problem removing the mound for that game. If only they'd do that for our games. If they did, then the pitch wouldn't be so narrow.

I understand the legitimate limitations that come with being a secondary tenant in a baseball stadium, the main one being the availibility of dates. But the thing about the pitcher's mound bothers me.

There is no good reason that the mound cannot be transported on and off the field (note: not "rebuilt", but moved as a unit) for each NYCFC match. The Yankees' unwillingness to do this sends a message about how little they value this team in which they have an ownership stake. This practice creates an obstacle which does not need to exist.

Right now the Yankees only have 3 pitchers signed to a 2016 contract and they make more than our whole roster (DPs included) combined. I cannot fault them to no wanting to mess with the pitching mound. Obviously the narrow pitch is not ideal, but other EPL teams have similar size pitch so who cares. It can only help our shitty d-line right?

Reactions: Shotofjmoh
The Yankees' unwillingness to do this sends a message about how little they value this team in which they have an ownership stake.

Do we know for sure what their ownership stake is? I have a sneaking suspicion they may own less of NYCFC than Jay-Z did the Nets. And Jay-Z owned 0.16% of the Nets.

Right now the Yankees only have 3 pitchers signed to a 2016 contract and they make more than our whole roster (DPs included) combined. I cannot fault them to no wanting to mess with the pitching mound. Obviously the narrow pitch is not ideal, but other EPL teams have similar size pitch so who cares. It can only help our shitty d-line right?

Yankees have Sabathia, Tanaka, Nova, Pineda, Severino and Eovaldi under contract as starters and Miller, Betances, Mitchell and Shreve under contract out of the pen.

Reactions: EganSoccerWords
The Yankees own 20% of NYCFC.
I tried to find any official notice of that, but could not. Do you have a source? I saw it mentioned in a Daily News article, with no source cited.

Yankees have Sabathia, Tanaka, Nova, Pineda, Severino and Eovaldi under contract as starters and Miller, Betances, Mitchell and Shreve under contract out of the pen.
Sabathia, Tanaka and Miller alone are worth more than NYCFC!

I tried to find any official notice of that, but could not. Do you have a source? I saw it mentioned in a Daily News article, with no source cited.
Nothing official. They keep that info close, like most info. Wikipedia says 20% citing to a Bloomberg news report. There's lots of other news articles saying the same, as you noticed. The closest thing to official is an mlssoccer report on CFG's initial investment into Melbourne which MLS described as 80% with a 20% local partner which MLS said was based on the NYCFC Yankee model.
So nothing official but I also see no reason to doubt it.

Reactions: LostAnvil
So nothing official but I also see no reason to doubt it.

It suits CFG to play up having a partner like the Yankees. It's the same reason why Jay-Z's ownership of the Nets was always hinted at being more substantial than it was.

If they do own 20% of the club, I'd love to know at what valuation. I can't imagine the Yankees wrote a check for $20mm.

Who will be fatter: Jozy or Frank?
Some guy in my section at the last Toronto game was giving Jozy dog's abuse the whole time. This is a guy who impressively manages to get through about 8 beers a game and stacks his cups as he goes. Hoping he's in the same area next season as there are a lot of quiet folk in the stands and his banter is fun.

It's the Yankee's stadium and they're not going to risk one of their pitcher's slipping and hurting themselves on a re-built mound for NYCFC...sucks but it's understandable. The Yankees make more money than us, attract more fans, generate more revenue, etc....and it's their stadium. We're going to get the short end of the stick on many of these battles, its just how it is.

If the F'ing Metrostars were able to move an entire natural field set on geometric setting beds/trays from outside of the stadium to inside for an entire season when they were at Giants Stadium, and the Metrostars were the epitome of bungling organizations, then there is absolutely no reason why the Yankees cannot move a pitcher's mound 17 times too.

It's the 21st century and we have forklifts & bobcats & gators (vehicles, not Gotham Gator Gotham Gator) that are designed to carry dirt and other fun agricultural objects - surely the Yankees' grounds crew can figure this one out & it cannot be much more difficult than sashaying in unison to YMCA......

Status
Not open for further replies.