How Did You Become A Fan Of The Teams You Support?

Z4CH3B99

Borracho Aficionado
Aug 5, 2014
The title of this thread should really be self explanatory.

Nevertheless, how did you become a fan of the soccer/football teams that you currently support?

Were you born into the fandom for your team? Did you simply jump onto the bandwagon of a winning team? Are you a glory chaser? Did you fall in love with your team after you saw them play?

Stop on by and share about the reason why you root for your team!

I grew up in a place where no one likes soccer, it's not on TV here, not many people play it. I've always been a fan of the sport but never really had a team I support, aside from Internationals. But then as more and more soccer starting getting on TV (NBCSN, FS1, ESPN, etc) I watched more and more and really started to love Arsenal's style of play, the team's players and the fan base. And then when NY announced NYCFC, I knew it was destiny that I support them. So my Premiere League fandom was based on exposure to the game and my NYCFC fandom was based on being in the right place at the right time.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
My Family is from Rome. Die hard supporters. Lived there when I was little. Loved Totti and DeRossi. Players who grew up in the city and never played for anyone else but their city's local club. Admirable considering in this day and age team buy up the best players from wherever. Very rare to still have local boys be the star players. It was never the best club in Italy but always a strong contender, almost underdog.

Southampton- I started a career mode with them on Fifa and enjoyed it so much I started watching more soccer and got interested in the sport. The following season, I started watching more of their games and my interest has grown from there.

NYCFC- I wanted to support a team in MLS as my interest in the sport grew. No team is particularly close to me (Iowa) so I decided to support an expansion team with no history of its own because I had the opportunity to follow them from the very beginning. In April I attended my first professional soccer match when they traveled to Chicago (it was an ugly first game for me to see).

NYCFC - Seeing as I'm from New York the inner city I always wanted to support a team that I can actually go and see them play. I never made an emotional connection with NJRB never really saw any of their fans either so it was hard for me to connect with anyone about it. Once I heard we were getting a team of our own in the actual City of New York I was extremely excited. I got to see first hand what it was like to support a club with such passion and the fans just made it that much better. I worked for the first two games at YS and found myself watching the game more than working and mingling with supporters. Haven't worked a match since and now I've been going to all the home matches.

Chelsea - as the poster above stated I played with Chelsea on FIFA watched them a couple times before playing. Something about Chelsea that I really liked. I've been a Chelsea fan for I'd say 4 years now. It's just one of those things where you instantly just like something and become wrapped up immediately.

Colorado Rapids - I'm a Colorado native, so I've always supported the home state teams.

MCFC - I finally started watching European football in 2010. I decided to watch for a couple years without picking a club. My only caveat coming in was that United were off the table. The two teams that played the most attractive football that year were City and Blackpool. Blackpool got relegated, so City stayed on my radar. The FA Cup winning campaign was key, and I've always supported underdogs. The Aguerooooooooooooo moment sealed the deal.

NYCFC - I've lived in NYC for 12 years, and this is the first local team that I've supported. I still root for the Rapids, but I'm a Founding Member and proud to finally cheer for a New York team. I'm thrilled with the MCFC connection.

Reactions: Yeezus
From the Bay Area, so I've been going to Quakes games since they were the Clash.

Moved out to NYC in September and decided that a good way to connect to our new home would be getting involved with NYCFC. Great decision for my fiancé and I. We've met a ton of awesome people and feel more connected to this team than pretty much any other team Im a fan of.

I'm also a Spurs fan. I decided to pick a team to follow once NBC announced that they were going to bring on the PL. I kind of just arbitrarily picked Tottenham and have been following them closely for two and a half years haha

Reactions: JayH
Palermo- My dads otb from there, and once they got back into serie b (before finally making it into serie a after 31 years) i could finally watch them once in a while when they'd be on TV, and went to sicily the year they were promoted and it was amazing how excited people were when Palermo got the promotion. Went to a summer tournament with samp and olympiakos and the stadium was crazy, i loved it... It was a really great experience that started it all for me...

Inter- I loved Ronaldo, he was my hero growing up and when i would watch him play sunday mornings for inter, i fell in love with the team from there on.

PAOK- my grandmothers from Thessaloniki, went to toumba and the fans/atmosphere was fucking insane. gotta support the home clubs.

NYCFC- first actual new york club to be at the highest level. wanted to be here from the start

Reactions: NickA and Z4CH3B99
Palermo- My dads otb from there, and once they got back into serie b (before finally making it into serie a after 31 years) i could finally watch them once in a while when they'd be on TV, and went to sicily the year they were promoted and it was amazing how excited people were when Palermo got the promotion. Went to a summer tournament with samp and olympiakos and the stadium was crazy, i loved it... It was a really great experience that started it all for me...

Inter- I loved Ronaldo, he was my hero growing up and when i would watch him play sunday mornings for inter, i fell in love with the team from there on.

PAOK- my grandmothers from Thessaloniki, went to toumba and the fans/atmosphere was fucking insane. gotta support the home clubs.

NYCFC- first actual new york club to be at the highest level. wanted to be here from the start
That's crazy my grandmother on my fathers side is from Palermo!

Reactions: Mario and NickA
That's crazy my grandmother on my fathers side is from Palermo!

Funny, this is the Palermo thread lol.

My mother (Trapani) and father (Palermo) are both from Sicily. My family still has a house there and I spent many summers there as a child...still go. I still remember their run with Luca Toni. He was a hero to all Sicilians. It was an amazing time. So I still follow and root for them with pride. I can really watch any Serie A match though. I have a rooting interest for AC Milan too, as a distant cousin currently plays for them.

I am in the truest sense an Italian-American. I root for both national teams. The difference is I get very pumped for the U.S., but I get passionate and emotional for Italy.

MLS...I was a Metro/Red Bulls fan, but never really got that excited about them. I was just happy to go to games and knew some players that went through the system. I will still root for them (not against us), as I feel their success is good for the league, good for the area and that first "derby" was awesome.

NYCFC has a chance to be something special and I'm happy to be a part of it. I find myself becoming more and more invested in this team every game. It might sound weird, but I think them losing is creating a stronger fan base. It's good to lose before you win. Then it means something. We are all going to grow with this team. Ups and Downs. When we win, it'll be sweet!!

I fell in love with the game while studying abroad in Florence in 2006. Our school gave us FREE and very good tickets to all the Fiorentina home games. Those were some fun games.

Started cheering for the Spurs the same year when traveling to London and my ex girlfriend took me to WHL. She's long gone, but my love for Tottenham lives on.

Reactions: Kjbert and Z4CH3B99
Funny, this is the Palermo thread lol.

My mother (Trapani) and father (Palermo) are both from Sicily. My family still has a house there and I spent many summers there as a child...still go. I still remember their run with Luca Toni. He was a hero to all Sicilians. It was an amazing time. So I still follow and root for them with pride. I can really watch any Serie A match though. I have a rooting interest for AC Milan too, as a distant cousin currently plays for them.

I am in the truest sense an Italian-American. I root for both national teams. The difference is I get very pumped for the U.S., but I get passionate and emotional for Italy.

MLS...I was a Metro/Red Bulls fan, but never really got that excited about them. I was just happy to go to games and knew some players that went through the system. I will still root for them (not against us), as I feel their success is good for the league, good for the area and that first "derby" was awesome.

NYCFC has a chance to be something special and I'm happy to be a part of it. I find myself becoming more and more invested in this team every game. It might sound weird, but I think them losing is creating a stronger fan base. It's good to lose before you win. Then it means something. We are all going to grow with this team. Ups and Downs. When we win, it'll be sweet!!
I would never have known that so many people on this thread have relatives from Sicily. I'm originally from Mexico, but I moved to the USA at the age of 10. My grandmother moved from Palermo to the city in Mexico where I was born. I've never met/known anyone else who had relatives from Italy let alone Sicily. Some of my childhood friends didn't even know where Sicily was on the map.

I never did talk about why I cheer for my teams did I? Well, here's some reasons why.

Because Mexico is my home nation I'm a humongous fan of El Tri. Because I live in the USA I'm a fan of the USMNT. However, I don't know if I'm truly a super fan of the U.S. Like you said, I get pumped for games, but It's not the same feeling I get cheering for Mexico.

I became a fan of NYCFC because I wanted to be a fan of a team from the very beginning. MLS was never a league that I gave much thought to. The play was poor and I never had a team to cheer for. The lack of game coverage also made it hard for me to watch the league. However, I've been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the league since I've begun watching NYCFC. Despite our recent struggles I've enjoyed my time watching, cheering for, and Bitching about our team. Even bitching about a soccer team is better than not having a team to bitch about.

NYCFC - home club. I've been casually following developments since the Wilpon rumors.

Swansea City - they were the team I seemed to look forward to watch playing the most and eventually just started following them exclusively.

Charleston Battery - worked in Charleston for a few years. Had a couple customers at Blackbaud so I got to visit the stadium grounds multiple times a week. Thankfully all USL matches are archived on YouTube so I get to watch them during downtime at work.

I'm an Irish-American. Everton has been the team of a number of American and Irish players the last decade.

So, Everton.

NYCFC - I was always a Metrostars fan. My dad used to take me to a lot of their games, but after the switch we both were extremely turned off. NYCFC gave us the opportunity to link our love for the city to our love for the sport of soccer. It was a match made in heaven for us.
PSG- I started out liking the jerseys, but after watching a number of games, I really started to enjoy the way they play. Oh and ZLATAN!!
My family is Ecuadorian, soccer is our sport. My family are huge Barcelona (B.S.C) fans, but since I was really little I always like Liga de Quito (LDQ) and that's been my team ever since.
Lastly, AONYC!! USMNT has always been my national team ever since my dad introduced me to Alexi Lalas and Tab Ramos in the Metrostars. While my dad has Ecuadorian National Team running thru his veins, I have that as well, but not as much as the red white and blue.

image.jpg

The new logo for the new team that will be based out of my hometown in Mexico.

It's a little eccentric for my taste; but it's not nearly as bad as it could be.
(Mexican teams have a habit of designing terrible logos. Imo)

I'm sure I could go more in detail if I were pressed, but I support NYC as it's my local pro team.

I also follow Leicester City; I've been supporting them since I was first able to watch the Premier League in 1998, and started paying attention to them at first because they had Kasey Keller in goal. Keller wound up leaving for Rayo the next summer, but by then, I was really into the team and have stuck with them ever since.

NYCFC - obviously

Tottenham - Had a few friends who followed the Prem (mostly United) and wanted me to watch. Never really got into Manchester United myself. Got to know and hate some Arsenal fans, realized Tottenham was the team for me.

As an added bonus I just booked a flight to London. I'll be at WHL this August!

NYCFC - obviously

Tottenham - Had a few friends who followed the Prem (mostly United) and wanted me to watch. Never really got into Manchester United myself. Got to know and hate some Arsenal fans, realized Tottenham was the team for me.

As an added bonus I just booked a flight to London. I'll be at WHL this August!
You'll have to post some pictures of your trip to WHL.

Do you know who Spurs will be playing while you're there?

Have fun as the post above said take pics and please post them here be safe keep the NYCFC flag flying high!