Is It So Crazy To Think The Team Might Have A Shot At The Mls Cup?

Gentile

Registered
Feb 2, 2015
1. the team has a proven mls coach who many think is one of the top three in MLS

2. The cup is a bit of a crap shoot, and by the time it comes around (if the team makes the playoffs) NYCFC could have really started to gel.

3. The team could have 3 if not 4 world class DP's by then (depending if the cba changes), who could start to be really influential by season end. ie Jermaine Jones.

The team chemistry by playoffs time should be significantly stronger and getting to understand a the little things Kreis wants.

I think the team will start slow and not finish that high for supports shield. The defence needs a lot of work on the training field.

But come playoff time, the big name/game players Villa , Lampard, DP 3 (maybe even 4) could have a huge say. These guys are used to big time matches.

Changing the subject a bit, why are many MLS media types so high on Orlando? Like TFC they have an unproven coach. He miiight be good, but he could also be just like when Portland came into the league and had an NASL coach John Spencer.

He did well for them in that league but came into MLS and was a shit show! The soccer media are not questioning enough if Heath's lack of MLS experience will hurt them.

TFC have brought in some great players too but Greg Vanney has never done anything great or has much MLS experience. They should have spent some of those millions on a proven coach.

A lot of people underrate the importance of a great coach in this sport. I rate the Columbus and Revs coaches and think they will finish top two in the east.

But I also think Kreis is better than both, and he gives this team a great advantage and at 15-1, when this team could be so much stronger at playoff time...

I LIKE THEM ODDS!

looking at these preseason games, and how good they look together ALREADY. MLS cup doesnt seem so crazy. i know people still butthurt, but the addition of Lampard is gonna be positive regardless.

Reactions: Gentile
Not crazy, but still way too early to predict I'm thinking. Hard to tell anything when we haven't played with our starting 11 yet and haven't played a competitive game. For me, we are short in depth for a few positions yet.

Reactions: LostAnvil
Not crazy, but still way too early to predict I'm thinking. Hard to tell anything when we haven't played with our starting 11 yet and haven't played a competitive game. For me, we are short in depth for a few positions yet.

I agree to an extent, but playoffs are different than supports shield. If a team gets hot at the right time and has big game players, depth not so much an issue. Playoffs + final only a few games. Big games but Villa, Lampard DP 3 and Kreis used to that...

The east is wide open and i would certainly consider us a top 6 team in the east and us making the playoffs. Once your in the playoffs anything can happen. Vegas has nyc fc 15-1 to win mls cup so its not crazy to think. We have very good forwards and a very good midfield. If we get good gk then we will be a tough team to beat in the east. I have been impressed with how the team has been moving the ball and that will only get better as the team plays more together.

On top of that jason kreis is one of the best coaches in this league and I fully expect us to be in the running with him at the helm and the backing of man city every year.

Is it crazy? I don't think so! Our team has a lot of talent, I don't see why its so crazy when you factor in we may have the best American coach in the business as well.

giphy.gif

B9-5h8cCEAA6KFW.jpg

I'd put money on us with those odds.

I don't like how this is reported though, New York and NYC FC. It should be at least be NYRB and NYC FC.

Short in depth at some positions, but enormous depth at others. Besides the defense Im not worried about depth at all.

woah thats impressive
Impressive but the soccer landscape wasn't as competitive and as talented as it was back then. It's the same thing when comparing eras in different sports. It is much tougher in mls these days to win an mls cup and us open cup as it was back then in the early days. Trust me I have been a fan since the early days.

12 teams in the league, one of them being the short lived miami fusion.

However, Chicago was led by a young Bob Bradley, proof that a good coach can bring MLS success in his first year with a team.

You have to start somewhere and a cup is nearly always targeted as the first thing to win. Less games, more luck (has to favour newer clubs battling against a settled team) and a huge boost for everyone.
If the cup is the destination then just concentrate on the matches and see how far you go. Who knows, there is enough confidence and talent to beat anyone on the day, just make sure its one of those days they play.