Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
Name: Jonathan Shore
Joined Club: 3/16/2023
Position: Midfielder
Number:

tcoy2twxyjacjmx9xqvi.jpg

New York City Football Club signs Midfielder Jonathan Shore to a Homegrown Contract through 2027 with an option for 2028.

Announcement: New York City Football Club Signs Midfielder Jonathan Shore to a Homegrown Contract | New York City FC

TransferMarkt profile: Jonathan Shore - Player profile

Twitter:

Don’t know why but I’ve always liked when people spell it “Jonny.”
And I’m usually moderately disapproving of name spelling variants.

Don’t know why but I’ve always liked when people spell it “Jonny.”
And I’m usually moderately disapproving of name spelling variants.
Had this discussion with someone recently.

This case it's not actually name spelling variants, it's just two completely different names that happen to sound similar in english.

Jonathan and John are different names.

John derives from Yohanan in hebrew
Jonathan derives from Yonatan in hebrew.

Jonny = Jonathan nickname
Johnny = John nickname

This case it's not actually name spelling variants, it's just two completely different names that happen to sound similar in english.

Johnny = John nickname
Yochanan יוחנן. Make ppl try to sound it out.

Reactions: JayH and Shwafta

Johnny = John nickname
That's the deep work I come to the Forums for. Thank you, sir.

Johnny = John nickname
I know it's not so much a spelling variant as just a less common different [nick]name, but even there I've noticed many Jonathans eschew all 'y'-suffix nicknames outright, and among those who adopt them, it's split among Jonny, Jony, and even some Johnny. The pull of the more prevalent John/Johnny is there. Anyway, I didn't know they weren't really related and both Hebrew in origin. I kind of imagined Jonathan as a formal variant of John.

Reactions: Shwafta
I know it's not so much a spelling variant as just a less common different [nick]name, but even there I've noticed many Jonathans eschew all 'y'-suffix nicknames outright, and among those who adopt them, it's split among Jonny, Jony, and even some Johnny. The pull of the more prevalent John/Johnny is there. Anyway, I didn't know they weren't really related and both Hebrew in origin. I kind of imagined Jonathan as a formal variant of John.
John the apostle was a Jew in Israel. Makes sense he’d have a Hebrew name.

Is Shore Jewish? If so, second Jewish player on the team since Andrew Jacobson.

That's why I explained the difference! I think most people don't realize they're different names to begin with.
That's the deep work I come to the Forums for. Thank you, sir.
Not really deep work so much as culture lol

Me writing the first post after the official one: "probably if anyone even reads this they'll think, 'who cares, Mark!' then nothing." Lol.
Normally I would have ignored it but since I had just so recently had the discussion with someone else about the same thing, I just had to chime in lol.