Joseph Scally [Defender] [HG]

This may be a dumb question, but why didn’t we play him here much at all?
only ronny can answer that.

Tinnerholm was our most reliable player last year. Probably could have used a rest, but he didn't really fall off at year end and possible marginal improvement in last 2 months not clearly worth resting him 1-2 games in a 23 game season. Plus, Scally was gone; already sold; price fixed. Honorable or not, Ronny, and the club, gained nothing by giving him minutes and experience.

The simple answer is…

Anton Tinnerholm is good at soccer.

The complexity is that Scalley debuted on the left side, where I don’t think we ever tried him, and where we needed more quality. I put that up to a lack of imagination.
I don't know if we really needed more quality at LB, at least in 2020. Matarrita was one of the best LBs in the league last season. We definitely could use some more quality at LB this season as I think that is hands down our weakest position.

Has to get a call into the senior team now

One month isn't going to do it. I think he needs consistent first team minutes before he climbs the depth chart at right back. He's definitely ahead of Yedlin in my book, but apparently not in GB's. But I think he's behind say a reggie cannon, who has much more consistent first team minutes.

One month isn't going to do it. I think he needs consistent first team minutes before he climbs the depth chart at right back. He's definitely ahead of Yedlin in my book, but apparently not in GB's. But I think he's behind say a reggie cannon, who has much more consistent first team minutes.

LB?

To be fair, it looks like he's going to get minutes this year for BMG. I think if he keeps this up he should get a call in October and November to be with the team. No reason he shouldn't get some minutes with the USMNT in either upcoming international window.

Reactions: Kjbert
To be fair, it looks like he's going to get minutes this year for BMG. I think if he keeps this up he should get a call in October and November to be with the team. No reason he shouldn't get some minutes with the USMNT in either upcoming international window.

Of course. if he gets consistent minutes and continues to play the way he has, there's no reason he shouldn't get a call up and move up the depth charts. Clearly, he can play both right or left and having that versatility on the national squad is very useful.

Did Scally all of a sudden just become able to defend against the likes of Lewandoski?
He was incapable of giving our wingbacks a rest
all the time he was on our roster? Maybe this has been covered. I mean damn he was (is) young. A year or two at that age does bring about a lot of changes. Kind of amazing he goes from bench to starter in the Bundesliga.

Did Scally all of a sudden just become able to defend against the likes of Lewandoski?
all the time he was on our roster? Maybe this has been covered. I mean damn he was (is) young. A year or two at that age does bring about a lot of changes. Kind of amazing he goes from bench to starter in the Bundesliga.
I didn’t watch the game but I did see the goal and it was nice. He was still sprinting in the 95th minute. I did see his stats tho and it wasn’t that great tbh.

all the time he was on our roster?
NYCFC averaged 2.18 PPG over the last 16 games in 2019, and 2.2 PPG over the last 10 games of 2020. Last year the player who started in Scally's preferred position was easily the team's best player. So, it might have been nice to see him, but I don't know why you think anyone needed more rest.

2019 - season ending injury
2020 - maybe still getting back to fitness from the injury and then was signed to go to europe. also anton's monster year, so little reason to play scally.
2021 - he gone!

NYCFC averaged 2.18 PPG over the last 16 games in 2019, and 2.2 PPG over the last 10 games of 2020. Last year the player who started in Scally's preferred position was easily the team's best player. So, it might have been nice to see him, but I don't know why you think anyone needed more rest.
I guess my answer would be no matter how good you are maybe rest is a good thing? Maybe playing a ton of minutes catches up with you?