Josh Saunders Signs Multi- Year Extension

sbrylski

Registered
Apr 24, 2014
http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/12/17/new-york-city-fc-signs-josh-saunders-new-contract

New York City FC is pleased to announce that goalkeeper Josh Saunders has signed a new multi-year contract extension. Saunders started 33 games for the Club this season and recorded four clean sheets in New York City’s inaugural campaign. Per Club and League policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Article goes on to praise him with multiple quotes from Reyna and a rather generic quote from Vieira.

Meh, not sure an extension was necessary when he was already under contract. I'm sure he got a little bump from his $90k salary. For the record, I'm 99% sure he would be eligible for free agency as soon as his contract expires. Free agency rules cap a player at a 15% increase in salary, so I'm willing to say that anything over $103,500 for a Saunders extension would be a bad business move.

Reactions: Kjbert
Good for Saunders, I suppose. He did keep us in several matches.

But keeper may be one of the positions which we need to upgrade. Am I nuts for thinking that Victor Valdes, who is still languishing in the Man United reserves, and who is a year younger than Saunders and a couple of levels above him, should be a target during the next transfer window?

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/12/17/new-york-city-fc-signs-josh-saunders-new-contract

Article goes on to praise him with multiple quotes from Reyna and a rather generic quote from Vieira.

Meh, not sure an extension was necessary when he was already under contract. I'm sure he got a little bump from his $90k salary. For the record, I'm 99% sure he would be eligible for free agency as soon as his contract expires. Free agency rules cap a player at a 15% increase in salary, so I'm willing to say that anything over $103,500 for a Saunders extension would be a bad business move.
There are GKs a dime a dozen that could give the same production for less money. I don't see the value in back line organization and certainly not with ball distribution or kicking skills. This is a sentimental move, and I'm going to say along with White, that Reyna is 0 for 2 this offseason.

Reactions: Goodfella
There are GKs a dime a dozen that could give the same production for less money. I don't see the value in back line organization and certainly not with ball distribution or kicking skills. This is a sentimental move, and I'm going to say along with White, that Reyna is 0 for 2 this offseason.

I'll wait until the salaries are released. As mentioned, I'm willing to call it neutral if he's paid around the same amount. Definitely a bad move if we paid him much over $100k.

We also don't know if its a guaranteed or non-guaranteed contract.

Eh. I think this one is no big deal. He probably got extended a year or two. I don't see a viable alternative as we don't have a youth program right now. You are not going to buy a keeper from abroad. And if you think Keepers don't perform right away (and with limited draft picks), this is a safe alternative to being forced to negotiate a new deal with him next year or risk paying through the nose for a position where you like to keep the salary down.

I think it was good to extend his contract a little. He's a fan favorite, and he loves the fans. He's a good keeper even if he's not a great one. It's not always about talent and skill. Sometimes it's that the fans chant his name throughout matches, and that makes it worth it. Sure, if we can get a world-class goalkeeper star we should, but Saunders is good, well-liked, and here. All good enough reasons to keep him, at least for now.

Our porous backline is much bigger issue than our GKs distribution skills. What dime a dozen goalkeepers could we have gotten with less salary than Saunders?

Our porous backline is much bigger issue than our GKs distribution skills. What dime a dozen goalkeepers could we have gotten with less salary than Saunders?
And a competent back line should really be able to combat Saunders' distribution issues. And I agree that GK distribution is severely overrated on this forum. Sure, Saunders can pick out XYZ upfield and kick the ball to him, but it's still going to give the defense a few seconds to close the gap or challenge the header, with the defender 90% of the time having the best angle on the ball anyways, GK distribution beyond midfield is a crapshoot.

Late in the season, Kreis had Saunders go short, which is well and good, so long as your back line can play the ball on the ground to guys like Mix and Pirlo to get the attack started, but it wasn't some breakthrough strategy that saw immediate results. I'd actually rather see us lose possession on goal kicks 70% of the time upfield than 40% of the time in our own defensive third.

He frequently miss hit goal kicks. Like couldn't hit it cleanly and even get it to midfield. He even said he didn't know what was wrong. Like the ball is sitting still, no pressure, and he can't kick it properly. If you are OK with that, I'm glad you are not in charge of the team.

What dime a dozen goalkeepers could we have gotten with less salary than Saunders?

There really aren't any. Here's a list I put on another thread of who's available at the moment:

REENTRY DRAFT:

GK Josh Ford (Orlando City)
GK Tally Hall (Orlando City)
GK Chris Konopka (Toronto FC)
GK Matt Lampson (Columbus Crew SC)
GK Brian Perk (LA Galaxy)
GK Donovan Ricketts (LA Galaxy)
GK Paolo Tornaghi (Vancouver Whitecaps)

FREE AGENTS:

GK Jon Busch (Chicago Fire)
GK Troy Perkins (Seattle Sounders)
GK Kyle Reynish (New York Red Bulls)
GK Andrew Weber (Portland Timbers)

Don't see anybody there I'd start over Saunders and TBH, I'd even include the recently traded Dan Kennedy too.

Kennedy would start over Saunders on any team. In fact. Ryan Meara would be better than Josh.
With you here. I think Saunders would be one of the easiest upgrades we could make. His poor distribution contributes to our back line being poor as much as the poor back line contributes to a need for saves. They both result in us falling under constant pressure. Whether his poor distribution results directly in goals, it contributes to the cumulative effect of playing on our back foot. It is one of the contributors to our generally tentative style of play. Constant pressure results in goals. Not having the ability to use even a goal kick as a relief valve does add to the goals allowed total, whether it's directly or indirectly.

Sports are a lot like women. Approach both with confidence, and you'll do better than is expected. Be tentative and timid or only rashly exhibit false bravado, and you'll do worse than you should.

I would love to upgrade Saunders. I just don't know how much money we should spend on a new GK when we're paying Wingert and Jacobsen a combined 400k. For now, I'd rather spend the resources on a new CB.

I would love to upgrade Saunders. I just don't know how much money we should spend on a new GK when we're paying Wingert and Jacobsen a combined 400k. For now, I'd rather spend the resources on a new CB.
Not mention having to use most of our allocation money on Mix's cap number. Saunders gives us a great value.

I think Saunders is a bum. I sat right behind the the 1st base goal for a bunch of games and he was just awful. For every amazing save he made he let three savables through. Tim Howard and Guzan appear about ready to be chased out of England, so I'm holding out hope for one of them!

Reactions: Kjbert
Saunders is a middle of the road MLS goalie. Dime a dozen. But he only makes 100k a year. He's the best keeper in MLS making 100k a year

Doesn't it strike anyone as odd that we are cheaping out on one of the most important positions on the field?

Doesn't it strike anyone as odd that we are cheaping out on one of the most important positions on the field?

Sure. But who do you want and at what expense? Is Dan Kennedy 130k better than Josh Saunders? Maybe. Maybe not. But this was an easy decision in my eyes. It allows us to spend more on other areas of need.

My hope, long term, is that we become a key developer of goalkeepers in the US.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and Gene