Jovan Mijatović [Forward]

LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
He's not short of confidence. Strong kid, too. Hopefully, he's just what we need. If half of last year's draws were wins, we would have been calling it a tremendous season. A few more goals and we would have been in business.

He's not short of confidence. Strong kid, too. Hopefully, he's just what we need. If half of last year's draws were wins, we would have been calling it a tremendous season. A few more goals and we would have been in business.

I'm excited to see if any of these new players have some pace to their games. After Gabby left we had no attackers that were a threat to get in behind. Teams just pushed their CBs to midfield with little risk and it shut down our midfield play. Having a few guys with the off-ball movement and pace to keep opposing CBs honest and some subs to come on and run at tired legs could go a long way to solving some of our offensive woes.

I'm excited to see if any of these new players have some pace to their games. After Gabby left we had no attackers that were a threat to get in behind. Teams just pushed their CBs to midfield with little risk and it shut down our midfield play. Having a few guys with the off-ball movement and pace to keep opposing CBs honest and some subs to come on and run at tired legs could go a long way to solving some of our offensive woes.
I'm not sure about Mijatović's end-to-end times, but word is he's quick -- great first step and acceleration. Malachi Jones can obviously scoot. I thought Perea, Bakrar and Fernández showed decent enough pace last season. Alonso Martínez too, although in a small sample size, and front-line speed may not matter as much in his case (we'll see).

It's tough to tell too much about Wolf and Ojeda from training videos and preseason matches on YouTube. But if they fit the pattern, it's a good guess they can hustle as well. The team obviously put a premium on young, fast forwards.

I won't lie, I'm excited. Can't wait for Saturday. It's almost certain to be a little rocky in the early stages of the season, but once we gel, look out. We're going to surprise some squads.

Question, because I wasn't paying attention.
When Mijatović came to the team was he injured? The Serbian League on a break or in off season?
Maybe it's just me, but I found this to be somewhat odd.

That's an interesting thing to admit given that he's been with the team since at least the final preseason game on February 17th. He knew he was in the process of being transferred so he had the incentive to try to stay fit over his break yet after a full month of training he's 60-70%, that seems pretty terrible.

He's been with the team for almost the same length of time as our total preseason. Imagine if, after the first game of the season, all of our guys were like well we are only 60-70% fit, we'd all be going nuts. Between this and his flopping display last game, our +$8M recruit is not off to the best start.

Reactions: Gene and mgarbowski
That's an interesting thing to admit given that he's been with the team since at least the final preseason game on February 17th. He knew he was in the process of being transferred so he had the incentive to try to stay fit over his break yet after a full month of training he's 60-70%, that seems pretty terrible.

He's been with the team for almost the same length of time as our total preseason. Imagine if, after the first game of the season, all of our guys were like well we are only 60-70% fit, we'd all be going nuts. Between this and his flopping display last game, our +$8M recruit is not off to the best start.

staying fit and being match fit are two very different things though. there's no substitute for playing in actual games. he needs more minutes for sure and he'll get match fit faster if he gets more. but that is up to nick.

The discussions in the Bakrar thread about Jovan starting inspired me to do some digging. The main justification for Jovan getting a shot is his performance in Europe as KevinJRogers KevinJRogers pointed out he had 10 goal contributions (8G, 2A) in just five starts and 637 minutes total at Red Star Belgrade. This is impressive but how do the teams of the Serbian Superliga compare to the competition he's facing in the MLS? Someone else may know a better way to compare leagues but the best way I could come up with is comparing the total player transfer market values of each club as a rough proxy for team quality. It's not a perfect methodology but going from Red Star to MLS looks to be a fairly significant jump in opponent quality for Jovan. Not only was Jovan facing much lower-quality opponents in Serbia but he was doing it with a super-stacked team compared to every other team in the league.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Jovan, he's talented and projected for a bright future based on his $8M transfer fee. Looking at this just adjusted my expectations and it may take him more time to adjust to the league if the jump in competition is as substantial as the numbers indicate.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 11.35.31 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 11.38.11 AM.png

For reference here is Jovans goal log. Most of his goals came against teams with roster values well below half the value of a typical MLS club:

Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 11.31.57 AM.png

(G)oing from Red Star to MLS looks to be a fairly significant jump in opponent quality for Jovan.
I think this is exactly what caught him by surprise, and a big reason why he wasn't ready to contribute right away. I'm just surmising a little, or a lot, but I suspect he -- like a lot of hot young European players his age -- thought he could just walk into MLS and be an immediate factor.

Boy howdy, was he in for a shock.

The good news is, he's already improving. He's hustling a lot more, flopping a lot less, not spending all his time lurking centrally with his hand in the air, calling for the ball. And by all appearances, he was hitting the gym like an animal while he was stuck back home. I can only imagine what he's doing in training.

So, let's put the data and metrics aside for a moment and go with the Don Carlo School of Soccer (full disclosure: I'm a card-carrying member, despite my own love of the stats) and see what he's got. Throw him in there for the full 90, let him run and sweat and get pounded and get in some fights. He's not going to grow just running drills and scrimmaging in Orangeburg.

Do it now and we may just solve our last problem in time for the late-season crunch.

I think this is exactly what caught him by surprise, and a big reason why he wasn't ready to contribute right away. I'm just surmising a little, or a lot, but I suspect he -- like a lot of hot young European players his age -- thought he could just walk into MLS and be an immediate factor.

The good news is, he's already improving. He's hustling a lot more, flopping a lot less, not spending all his time lurking centrally with his hand in the air, calling for the ball. And by all appearances, he was hitting the gym like an animal while he was stuck back home. I can only imagine what he's doing in training.

So, let's put the data and metrics aside for a moment and go with the Don Carlo School of Soccer (full disclosure: I'm a card-carrying member, despite my own love of the stats) and see what he's got. Throw him in there for the full 90, let him run and sweat and get pounded and get in some fights. He's not going to grow just running drills and scrimmaging in Orangeburg.

Do it now and we may just solve our last problem in time for the late-season crunch.

The problem is that most of the fan base also expected Jovan to come in and be an immediate factor. He's the 2nd highest transfer fee in club history. MLS media hyped him up as some sort of Serbian prodigy. Things could turn ugly quickly with the fans if he struggles and that's a tough spot to put an 18-year-old in.

The problem is that most of the fan base also expected Jovan to come in and be an immediate factor. He's the 2nd highest transfer fee in club history. MLS media hyped him up as some sort of Serbian prodigy. Things could turn ugly quickly with the fans if he struggles and that's a tough spot to put an 18-year-old in.
Comes with the territory. Things can turn ugly with the fans for anybody, including star players if they have a bad game or blow it in a key moment, or they're on the schneid. That's the nature of sports, especially at the professional level: teams win or lose, players succeed or fail, the fans love you or hate you; sometimes both, depending on the day and whether they bet some money, how much they bet and on what. 😆

But I'll guarantee you this: if you were to ask Jovan whether he would rather bounce around Belson for the rest of the year and have it easy or start with the first team and take his lumps as he learns -- enduring the wrath of the fans included -- he'll take the latter every day and twice on Sunday (or, rather, Saturday, since that's when we usually play).

Sooner or later, he's got to go into the deep water. Might as well be sooner. At some point, protecting talent becomes coddling, and waiting becomes wasting. Whether we're there yet is Nick's call, and he knows far more about it than I do. But looking at it from the outside, I'm convinced now is as good a time as any.

Reactions: Gotham Gator

i say let him play with the II squad more. if he can't put up decent numbers with the II squad, he's not going to do it with the first team. that's what the II squad is for. just like with bakrar, if he's not going to run in behind and he's not going to hold up the ball, then he's of no use to use at the #9. Especially if he's unwilling to press as hard as bakrar does, which may be his only redeeming quality.

martinez + Jones and another winger is our best attacking front line. maybe put santi up there with maxi in the midfield. that's a scary good attack.

Reactions: mgarbowski
i say let him play with the II squad more. if he can't put up decent numbers with the II squad, he's not going to do it with the first team. that's what the II squad is for. just like with bakrar, if he's not going to run in behind and he's not going to hold up the ball, then he's of no use to use at the #9. Especially if he's unwilling to press as hard as bakrar does, which may be his only redeeming quality.

martinez + Jones and another winger is our best attacking front line. maybe put santi up there with maxi in the midfield. that's a scary good attack.
I understand this, and it's a reasonable argument. But I should point out, of his six goals, Martinez has only scored twice as a starter: a solid shot from 14 yards at 34' against Inter, and an arguably flukey point blank left-footed shot at 2' at the Union before anyone had settled in.

His other four goals have been at home, three of them in short order very late against a shattered Quakes side. Half of his goals have been in added time.

And I like Alonso, a lot. He's a valuable piece. In fact, I was one of the people wondering where the heck he was during the early phase of the season, when things were so bleak, and we were so toothless. I'm glad we have him, and he's had some good stretches on the wing.

But I don't think he's the guy to carry us with a double-digit scoring, big minute season at striker. His last three starts, he managed five shots. Two were on target and he scored one goal. He was subbed off in all three, at 68' (one shot, off target), 66' (two shots, both on target and one goal) and 55' (two shots, none on target, although he did get an assist).

His first start was his best: he played 84 minutes and scored once on three shots (just the goal was on target). His next start was another 55-minute run. He took four shots, none were on target, and then he was subbed off.

That just doesn't read danger man to me.

One other thing is a concern: against Nashville, there were something like four or five occasions in the first 30 minutes when one of our guys was shouldered down to the floor. We need a physical presence at center-forward, someone who can't be pushed around so easily, who can body up in the cement mixer and get some shots off and draw penalties. Not to mention, run the central channel and open up space for Malachi and Wolf and Alonso and Julian.

Physicality shouldn't be underrated. For all his flawed dribbling and occasional clumsiness, Gabe Segal was effective at times because he was so strong and couldn't be swatted aside in the area. Jovan is even stronger, much more skilled, much more athletic and a genuine threat. What he lacks is experience. The only way for him to get it is to play, and at the senior level.

That's not to say he's going to suddenly start raining goals. Not even Taty did that, at least for a while. But man, by the books we took 15 shots last match and none of them were on target. Zero. Even when he wasn't scoring, Taty was shooting and getting enough of them on target to scare the living poop out of the opposition.

If we get something even approximating that again, with the kinds of players we have on the wings now, we're going to be a handful. That's where I want us to get.

I understand this, and it's a reasonable argument. But I should point out, of his six goals, Martinez has only scored twice as a starter: a solid shot from 14 yards at 34' against Inter, and an arguably flukey point blank left-footed shot at 2' at the Union before anyone had settled in.

His other four goals have been at home, three of them in short order very late against a shattered Quakes side. Half of his goals have been in added time.

And I like Alonso, a lot. He's a valuable piece. In fact, I was one of the people wondering where the heck he was during the early phase of the season, when things were so bleak, and we were so toothless. I'm glad we have him, and he's had some good stretches on the wing.

But I don't think he's the guy to carry us with a double-digit scoring, big minute season at striker. His last three starts, he managed five shots. Two were on target and he scored one goal. He was subbed off in all three, at 68' (one shot, off target), 66' (two shots, both on target and one goal) and 55' (two shots, none on target, although he did get an assist).

His first start was his best: he played 84 minutes and scored once on three shots (just the goal was on target). His next start was another 55-minute run. He took four shots, none were on target, and then he was subbed off.

That just doesn't read danger man to me.

One other thing is a concern: against Nashville, there were something like four or five occasions in the first 30 minutes when one of our guys was shouldered down to the floor. We need a physical presence at center-forward, someone who can't be pushed around so easily, who can body up in the cement mixer and get some shots off and draw penalties. Not to mention, run the central channel and open up space for Malachi and Wolf and Alonso and Julian.

Physicality shouldn't be underrated. For all his flawed dribbling and occasional clumsiness, Gabe Segal was effective at times because he was so strong and couldn't be swatted aside in the area. Jovan is even stronger, much more skilled, much more athletic and a genuine threat. What he lacks is experience. The only way for him to get it is to play, and at the senior level.

That's not to say he's going to suddenly start raining goals. Not even Taty did that, at least for a while. But man, by the books we took 15 shots last match and none of them were on target. Zero. Even when he wasn't scoring, Taty was shooting and getting enough of them on target to scare the living poop out of the opposition.

If we get something even approximating that again, with the kinds of players we have on the wings now, we're going to be a handful. That's where I want us to get.

sure. but 6 goals are 6 goals. he made the most of his starts and minutes. bakrar has not. jovan has not. so you want to put all your faith in the guy who might become something vs the guy who has actually done something? sure give him a chance now and then. every player needs minutes to grow into the position and play at their best, but the best players show that special something, even with limited minutes. If he's got the right stuff, he should have shown it already in some manner. Give him some minutes in leagues cup, I guess. but if we are looking for a goal, i want martinez on the pitch.

jovan hasn't shown any physical strength either. he does not hold up the ball and has not shown he can body up a CB or even tries to do this. He might have a stocky build but he's not very tall. He's not scaring a proper CB with his size.

Reactions: Gene
Has Jovan even scored for the Squabs?

I'll confess part of my preference at this point is a lack of patience for CFG, Lee, and the trio of failure who was supposed to replace Taty. It's been 2 years now. Two years, and their first 3 options to replace Castellanos - Talles, Bakrar, and Jovan - have scored 10 goals combined going back to summer 2022, and I'm not even sure all of Magno's goals came at CF.
Two years 3 players 10 goals.

They waited a year for Bakrar, and it's been nearly a year since he arrived, and he has contributed 4 MLS goals. So they add a second striker in the winter, and he's a petulant man child with mystery visa issues who has looked happiest during his midseason vacation back home. And he doesn't score. Maybe he will, but given Bakrar's failure we needed scoring now.

And then there's the little Tico who could. He comes in, acts like he wants to be here, gets surprisingly little playing time at first, and even now not so much, but is currently second on the roster for goals scored with just 30% of the minutes of the guy ahead of him. He has scored in 4 different games - also second to Rodriguez - with only 12 games played and averaging only 40 minutes each appearance. Maybe he won't scale. But let's not just assume he won't.

I guess this is a lesson on how unreliable YouTube compilations can be. I was genuinely excited when Jovan came because his video highlights, his age, and his numbers made him look like an emerging generational talent. He scored for fun, and the goals were not tap-ins. The buzz that he may go straight to ManCity (to be loaned out, yes, but still) sounded reasonable. There is obviously a step up in quality from the Serbian league to MLS, but I didn't expect it to be so steep. Maybe the video highlights were culled from the gazillion chances a team that is head-and-shoulders above its peers generated in Serbia, but it wasn't like Red Star were winning every game 10-0. They usually won comfortably, but Jovan was scoring a substantial percentage of their goals, at 18 and with just a few dozen games as a pro in total. In sum, I think we were justified in our excitement, and I still cannot accept that he is just meh.