Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
Name: Julián Fernández
Joined Club: 8/1/2023
Position: Forward
Number: 11

1690917819141.png

New York City Football Club acquires Forward Julián Fernández from Club Atlético Vélez Sarsfield on a contract through the 2027 season with an option for 2028. Fernández will join NYCFC pending the receipt of his ITC and a P-1 Visa and joins as part of Major League Soccer’s U22 initiative.

Announcement: New York City Football Club Signs Argentinian Forward Julián Fernández | New York City FC

MLSsoccer.com profile: https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/julian-fernandez

TransferMarkt profile: Julián Fernández - Player profile 2023

Twitter:

Reactions: moogoo
not that it matters. vs FCC, he was everywhere.
He has no left foot. When he had the ball to dribble in the attacking third, the FCC defends just gave him the right to attack and wouldn't let him come into the left side.

He has no left foot. When he had the ball to dribble in the attacking third, the FCC defends just gave him the right to attack and wouldn't let him come into the left side.

yea he has no right foot. that's pretty clear. rabona instead of an attempt to cross with the right. i'm actually surprised he tried to shoot with his right the one time. but positionally, he was ALL OVER the field. left, right, center.... he didn't really stick to his side to give us width and right side attacking...

I remember a few Vélez supporters saying that he wasn't the brightest guy when we signed him, so maybe his inability to stay in his area is proof of that.

guy plays two matches and we're already shitting on him as terrible. Come on guys...

lol. he just didn't impress and first impressions mean a lot.

of course, it's not fair and we need to wait for him to get used to the team and our style and most of all - get in shape!

i liked his play better when he subbed on and was lively. when he started, he looked and played like he was gassed. not sure what that was all about.

of course reserve judgment after next season but we just wanna know if he's a right wing? left wing? was he supposed to be a right winger and he kept wandering anywhere he wanted? that's not a good sign if he's unable to follow direction.

Reactions: JCMore and Gene
If he's so dumb that it stood out to supporters.... I'm concerned.

patrick.gif

yea he has no right foot. that's pretty clear. rabona instead of an attempt to cross with the right. i'm actually surprised he tried to shoot with his right the one time. but positionally, he was ALL OVER the field. left, right, center.... he didn't really stick to his side to give us width and right side attacking...
He plays right wing and will drift inside once the ball reaches the final third where as an inverted winger, I don't think it's all that important for him to stick strictly to the right side.

Remember it was him drifting to the left side against Minnesota that resulted in the dive attempt for the penalty. Now obviously that didn't benefit NYCFC at the end of the day, but I think he may have had a chance to draw a legit penalty without the dive or send in a very dangerous ball.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Cushing says he's primarily a LW, Transfermarkt says he's primarily RW. Does Cushing know how to use his own players?
With wingers, it depends upon how you want to deploy them. A left-footed player on the left wing is there to stay wide and put balls into the box. On the right wing, he is there to cut inside and finish.

We played Jack Harrison on the right when he was in NYC. Leeds primarily played him on the left.

Reactions: FootyLovin
With wingers, it depends upon how you want to deploy them. A left-footed player on the left wing is there to stay wide and put balls into the box. On the right wing, he is there to cut inside and finish.

We played Jack Harrison on the right when he was in NYC. Leeds primarily played him on the left.
The difference is Julian has really only played RW so far in his (very young) career and hasn't shown much of a propensity to send in crosses.

Alonso Martinez on the other hand can play both wing spots.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
He plays right wing and will drift inside once the ball reaches the final third where as an inverted winger, I don't think it's all that important for him to stick strictly to the right side.

Remember it was him drifting to the left side against Minnesota that resulted in the dive attempt for the penalty. Now obviously that didn't benefit NYCFC at the end of the day, but I think he may have had a chance to draw a legit penalty without the dive or send in a very dangerous ball.

cutting inside for the wingback to overlap is one thing. drifting to the other side completely is another. sure there's no hard fast rule that wingers need to stay on their side. a front line that can freely rotate all over is a nightmare to defend. but i don't recall any of our other right wingers floating so often to the left side. gabby would always stay wide to give us that option and look for isolation. when pellegrini plays there, he tends to stay on the right side. perhaps it's something new and i don't mind or care that he actually goes there if he's effective. i just don't want him to do it if that's not part of our attacking plan.