Kansas City - Postmatch

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
It was a sloppy first half but we came out to play for the second. Hopefully Maxi is going to be okay. Maybe we can use this to keep him out of the AllStar game.
Who is your player of the match? Parks for me.
A lot of guys had great games without mistakes but I’m not sure about who stood out the most.

GMS can take players on and man do we need that for 90 minutes. Hopefully he can make the 11 next match.

Parks definitely a candidate. Tonight was a deceptively good win. A badly needed 3 points and, in the end, a dominant performance at home. Bring on RSL in Utah next week!

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
It was a sloppy first half but we came out to play for the second. Hopefully Maxi is going to be okay. Maybe we can use this to keep him out of the AllStar game.
Who is your player of the match? Parks for me.
A lot of guys had great games without mistakes but I’m not sure about who stood out the most.

GMS can take players on and man do we need that for 90 minutes. Hopefully he can make the 11 next match.

Looked like the Maxi sub was "planned" (hopefully that's all it was and not an actual hamstring injury). I also hope he skips the All-star game but doesn't MLS have some dumb rule stating a player who misses the All-star game, has to sit out the next regular season game?

First half was sloppy indeed. The players looked like they were super amped and didn't know how to channel their energy. They were running (and passing) like chickens with their heads cut off.

Loved seeing Mitrita actually look to pass!

Solid win. Some sloppy moments in the first half but most MLS teams aren't good enough to consistently punish you for them luckily.

Continue to be impressed with Parks, any chance we can keep him past this season?

Hate to evoke the Cows but saw someone make the comparison that Heber might be our BWP and he definitely looks like it. Guy with limited pedigree tearing it up in the league.

Want to see more GMS I've liked what I've seen in limited quantities. Miri continues to frustrating so I think GMS has a real chance to fight with him for playing time as the season goes.

Is there a new mobile format? If so why. This sucks.
I upgraded the forum software. We were running 2015. It has a lot of security vulnerabilities that could be exploited due to the code being outdated (they weren’t but better safe than sorry).
The only issue at the moment is the skin we are running is made for the v1.3 we were on and currently we are v2.1 do there are a few things off.
I’m going to purchase a new one tomorrow and integrate it. I won’t make it the primary but everyone will be able to switch to it and let me know what they think before we fully convert.
There’s a thread in the news section explaining why features are missing.

Solid win. Some sloppy moments in the first half but most MLS teams aren't good enough to consistently punish you for them luckily.

Continue to be impressed with Parks, any chance we can keep him past this season?

Hate to evoke the Cows but saw someone make the comparison that Heber might be our BWP and he definitely looks like it. Guy with limited pedigree tearing it up in the league.

Want to see more GMS I've liked what I've seen in limited quantities. Miri continues to frustrating so I think GMS has a real chance to fight with him for playing time as the season goes.

It was me and I’m taking full credit for that. Even shared it with a front office member who agreed.

In unrelated news, I just threw out my shoulder patting myself on the back.

But having watched some select highlights of actual goals scored against them, their back line and especially centerbacks look like crap. Teams score a lot of goals running right at and past them. Danny Hoesen scored 2 goals on long passes, both from the other side of the midfield line, where he just ran past the CBs, collected the pass and scored.

K Kjbert isn't the only one who can pat himself on the back.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed that. Great atmosphere and a lot of fun AND we got to welcome GMS to NYC with a Scotland flag (inspiring him to get an assist and almost get two more. I’m taking full credit)

Anyone else notice Taty and Callens getting chippy with each other after the free kick that Callens took near the end of the match? It continued after the final whistle.

I think the first 25 were bad, and it coincides with the time when Parks had the fewest touches and was a bit passive. As soon as he started getting more involved we had less problems passing through SKC's high press and getting on the front foot. By the time we scored the first goal Mitrita had already sent Matarrita through with a few really clever passes, which was a welcome change to his previously slow decision-making. Sands had a nearly perfect game IMHO.

We played some beautiful stuff but I still question why we are playing 3 CBs against 1 striker systems and so obviously being starved of passing options in midfield and up front.

Mitri just can't seem to get into a mode where he's making the right decisions.

Mata had some heroic defensive actions and played some nice stuff going forward. So perhaps I was too early to write him off. If he can stay free of injury I'm curious.

Looking forward to seeing us play 4 ATB.

Agree with all about first half. Mitri continues to disappoint mostly due to his lack of fight. He just doesn't seem like he's into it to me. I'd love to see him make a recovery run after losing the ball and fight for it back, just once. Instead of sitting on the grass or standing there where he lost it while sulking.

GMS is fantastic in his few minutes and his 1v1 is very much like ITS. I like it.

Heber as our bwp is fine with me. Have respect for bwp for what he's been able to accomplish in MLS. If Heber can score 20+ goals for us a season he's basically covering for Villa's departure.

Saw callens and taty arguing but not sure why. Pretty sure callens really wanted the kick cause he held the ball the entire time. Taty probably wanted it cause he hadn't been played much tonight. Not sure why a center back is even up there trying to take a free kick outside the box in the first place. It's not rec league!

Also, for anybody at the game.. was the announcer volume lower today or is my hearing going? Cause I could barely hear him announce the goals over the cheering and usually that's not an issue.

Mata convincingly won the battle with Russell, one of the most dangerous players in the league. I have to say that he was terrific last night. Hopefully last night was a turning point rather than a one off.

GMS has that flair that gets you out of your seat when he has the ball. He really changed the game when he came in. And even though he should have taken that shot which more than likely would have been his first goal, I did think it was a sign of great character that he tried to feed a teammate for a tap-in.

Sands was again quietly the captain of the back line. There wasn’t a moment of the game where I thought that the game was at risk.

I am glad that Heber broke through with the goal because I was thinking that we were back at the point where Mitri unnecessarily neutralizes Heber when they play together (which unfortunately is still the case).

It was a beautiful night and while I haven’t checked the attendance, the crowd felt fuller and more energized than usual.

And Victor Cruz in the house was a nice treat!

Last edited:

K Kjbert isn't the only one who can pat himself on the back.
Exactly. SKC bent themselves into a terrible shape when the CB stepped up on Ring. This gave Heber acres of space while keeping him on side.

Still a really sweet finish though. Our Air Bear has shown some terrific finishing so far. Ian Joy was right - give Heber the ball in the box, and he is absolutely savage.

Contrast that with Taty, who should have had 2 goals tonight, but flopped both finishes.

And I thought Mitri made a step forward tonight with his distribution. He read the game a lot better and generally made the right decisions. The problem was that his passes were often off target, so hopefully that gets better. And he deserves full credit for the beautiful pass that unlocked things on the first goal.